Stingray Corvette Forum banner

241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Don't see where condensate would be a big problem. Don't know what else your getting to make it cream colored but would be nice to know if not oil.
Oh yes especially in the winter. What come out looks like when you have a bad cold and you blow your nose--that color. Been running cans on the 6.2 DI truck motor for 2 years and 40k. The Vettes C7 and Z06 have not been in the cold yet but it is just like anything metal going from hot to cold. The inside of the motor is no different as well as the plumbing doing in and out. I have posted pics before of the winter stuff that comes out of the cans. FWIW does the same with my other vehicles that have had cans. The 2013 Jeep JK was one of the worst in the winter.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Recently took my car into the dealership as the result of it making a weird noise from the front or engine bay..... Turned out it was the front crankshaft seal, which the dealership indicated a bulletin came out on from GM. The technician working on my Z06 couldn't help but to notice the catch can system, which caught allot of attention from some of the other technicians in the shop. According to the service writer I was working with, he indicated all the technicians were quite impressed with it after studying it. They could see no reason it would cause any warranty issues in the future because it wouldn't cause any future failure of any OEM components.

As far as pictures of ports and valve pocket areas being clean and free of any valve coking on the backsides of valves is concerned...... Not saying anyone would be deceptive to make an argument opposing catch cans, or not be completely truthful, but so much opposition and controversy connected with this topic causes me to wonder.... As stated before, I've been more concerned with the contamination issue more than the valve coking this entire time and it's affects on performance. Everyone saw what I pulled from my catch can earlier, which surprised me as well, but as stated before while participating in spirited driving on mountain curves I operate in "Manual" mode with my A8 and decelerate by dropping down gears and using the brakes quite a bit, so vacuum is high during those periods.

These catch cans represent an insurance policy in these earlier stages and they've been proven to be effective in other application with direct fuel injection as Busa Dave has indicated, so for those skeptical of catch cans, by all means DON'T DO IT and leave everything as is. As far as attempting to tell others they're wrong because you personally don't agree for the sake of argument, well what can I say... Keep doing what you're doing or not doing. That's your right as an individual, but to try to convince others to change to your way of thinking based on your background history on this topic...... Well, what can possibly be said.

·
Administrator
15,034 Posts
I would like to suggest that future posts on this thread just comment on their own experience rather than anticipate other member posts with opposing views-- this subject has the unfortunate over all feel of a back and forth argument that at least for the foreseeable future does not have a clear, irrefutable conclusion. Similarly no technician, dealer or vendor can assure you that adding a catch can will have no impact on a potential denial of warranty while a C7 engine train is still under warranty coverage. I am looking to keep this thread focused on actual member experience and not fanning embers of arguments reflecting both perspectives. Thanks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would like to suggest that future posts on this thread just comment on their own experience rather than anticipate other member posts with opposing views-- this subject has the unfortunate over all feel of a back and forth argument that at least for the foreseeable future does not have a clear, irrefutable conclusion. Similarly no technician, dealer or vendor can assure you that adding a catch can will have no impact on a potential denial of warranty while a C7 engine train is still under warranty coverage. I am looking to keep this thread focused on actual member experience and not fanning embers of arguments reflecting both perspectives. Thanks.
I realize this is a somewhat older thread, but I am still thinking of a catch can and thought I would note that recently a Camaro owner posted about his warranty being voided specifically for a catch can. His engine failed/lost oil pressure sitting in his driveway. Sounded like an arduous situation and occurred after the techs sent pictures of the engine and GM noticed the catch can. After that they a have bobbed and weaved and ducked every attempt to clarify the situation. Here is the thread: A post I was hoping to not have to make (GM blocks warranty repair) - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com. An interesting read, as is the discussion about it on the other Stingray forum about the subject started by one of their vendors who posted that "Local dealer said gm has sent memo out and informed service depts if any of the cars has a catch can and engine failure warranty is denied." Haven't seen a copy of the purported memo; has anyone here seen such an official message?. First time I had read about an actual warranty decline for this. My guess is that much depends on the integrity and helpfulness of the dealer. Anyone here have a warranty decline experience for a catch can? My local C7 performance shop (which is part of a Chevy dealer) said no problems with cold air intakes; some "iffiness" related to catch cans.--Bob

·
18,667 Posts
warp ten said:
My guess is that much depends on the integrity and helpfulness of the dealer. Anyone here have a warranty decline experience for a catch can? My local C7 performance shop (which is part of a Chevy dealer) said no problems with cold air intakes; some "iffiness" related to catch cans.--Bob
Well, even that dealer may not have full self-determination of warranty or not issues any more, for one primary reason, that individual Chevy dealers have a lot less freedom to determine which warranty repair they will approve or not. Regional warranty approval supervisors are now involved in most big warranty determination decisions, and often little "eligible or not warranty determinations." My dealer even had to get the regional warranty supervisors approval on my PDR upgrade (which eventually happened).

How come this new process?

GM got tired of two things. First,m folks playing games, undertaking mods, having problems, removing the mod, and paying innocent, "I sure do not know what happened or caused this." Second, some dealers who had "customers who were personal friends," and/or customers who bought 5 pickups per year for their business from the dealership, approved almost or all warranty claims for their favorite customers.

Thus starting about 1 1/2 years ago, GM not requires on major powertrain warranty claims, for the dealership to perform and provide to the regional warranty supervisor two pieces of info for his/her personal review. These two tests include, first, how many times, if any, has the ECU been software modified, and second, especially for blown motors and the like, what is the maximum about of power that powertrain has experienced.

Along this line, we just saw a public statement by the Chief Camaro Engineer that modifications to the cold air intake system can result in warranty nullification for that and related parts.

Also C7 owners some could get answers on warranty claims and other issues that would not want, for in the strictest sense, any catch can install could be a violation of Federal clean air emissions standards.

As Busa Dave earlier noted, you need to be prepared to pay when you start to do powertrain and electronic modifications. Or as I am looking at this issue, the days of dealerships going wink, wink for clear powertrain changes due to mods, are getting slimmer and slimmer, or as someone very famous used to say, "you takes your chances."

Many on this forum have made extensive changes to the powertrain and/or the electronics, and give them full credit, for they are willing to openly and honestly face any potential consequences.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Well said John. If you modify the engine during its warranty period it should be with the clear understanding that any modification could void the warranty. Don't be surprised, complain or whine about it. Based on discussions with techs and on what I have read to date, there is some legitimate rationale for a catch can regarding valve coking; especially telling is GM reducing the powertrain warranty for 2016. Maybe the best approach would be to try to get GM to offer a catch can as a performance option; Camaro has a clean side separator as a performance option. That way GM could make some money and improve the valve coking problem, although they would probably look at that as an admission that they have a problem. The long and short of it is that you will not beat GM at its game. Just go out and enjoy your Z06.--Bob

241 - 246 of 246 Posts