Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my oil changed a few months ago and they put in to much oil. I went back and they changed the air filter. Now I'm having lots of problems - anyone have something similar happen?

·
Administrator
17,146 Posts
Welcome to our forum. What type of C7 do you have? Z51 or non Z51. Overfilling of Z51s was an issue particularly back when they were new and people were not familiar with how to measure the oil level in the Z51 dry sump system. What type of issues are you having? If it was overfilled and the oil was sucked into the air filter and related components, the sensor would also need to be cleaned or it will throw codes.

·
Registered
2019 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Grand Sport
47 Posts
I had my oil changed a few months ago and they put in to much oil. I went back and they changed the air filter. Now I'm having lots of problems - anyone have something similar happen?
My dealer almost always overfills my oil. I believe there are two drain plugs that need to be removed. I don't think they are doing that. Regardless, I have switched dealers.

·
Administrator
17,146 Posts
My dealer almost always overfills my oil. I believe there are two drain plugs that need to be removed. I don't think they are doing that. Regardless, I have switched dealers.
You are correct, in the dry sump system there are two oil drain plugs that must be removed to properly remove all old oil. The non-Z51 wet sump has only one plug.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We bought our 2014 Z-51 in 2017 with 12,000 miles from a well known Chevy dealer in Iowa. I did not check the oil or drive the Corvette very far before trailering it home. Buying the car used, I had no idea what type or brand of oil was in the engine. Like most of you, I have a favorite brand of synthetic oil I have used in all my cars for the past 20 years. When I got home, I went on YouTube to see the process for changing the 2014 Corvette dry sump system oil. When I learned the procedure and performed the oil change, I dropped around 15 quarts. The capacity is 9 1/2 quarts of 5W30 with a filter. There was almost a full quart of oil in the air intake ducts- what a mess. I called the dealership and told them what I had found, and suggested they have a training session with their car porters when it comes to Z-51 Corvettes. It seems the porters are instructed to check the oil before starting and moving any vehicle. Not a bad thing for standard oil systems. The procedure is to check the oil level is to run the Corvette to circulate the oil, turn off the engine and check the oil after 300 seconds or exactly 5 minutes has lapsed- exactly 5 minutes! The dealership porters were checking the oil without running or timing the shut down period- they were never instructed. Every time they moved it, they added a quart. Thank goodness I didn't decide to take our Corvette on a road test- we had about 300 miles ahead of us and had to get loaded up and on our way. I think I avoided a major problem.

·
Registered
2015 Stingray Z51 Coupe M7
10 Posts
This is exactly why I change my own fluids in all of my vehicles!! I do not trust quick oil change places, nor dealerships to do the job right. Before I started to do this myself, I experienced loose oil filters, over-torquing of drain plugs, wrong oil, and even 1 cross-threaded drain plug. Time!!—NO one takes the time to do it right. I have never had my Z51 oil change jacked up because I have always done it myself. Think about it—even dealers that hire new guys do what with them for the first few weeks? That’s right—oil and tire changes. If you’ve done it yourself, you know it’s done right!

·
Registered
66 Posts
We bought our 2014 Z-51 in 2017 with 12,000 miles from a well known Chevy dealer in Iowa. I did not check the oil or drive the Corvette very far before trailering it home. Buying the car used, I had no idea what type or brand of oil was in the engine. Like most of you, I have a favorite brand of synthetic oil I have used in all my cars for the past 20 years. When I got home, I went on YouTube to see the process for changing the 2014 Corvette dry sump system oil. When I learned the procedure and performed the oil change, I dropped around 15 quarts. The capacity is 9 1/2 quarts of 5W30 with a filter. There was almost a full quart of oil in the air intake ducts- what a mess. I called the dealership and told them what I had found, and suggested they have a training session with their car porters when it comes to Z-51 Corvettes. It seems the porters are instructed to check the oil before starting and moving any vehicle. Not a bad thing for standard oil systems. The procedure is to check the oil level is to run the Corvette to circulate the oil, turn off the engine and check the oil after 300 seconds or exactly 5 minutes has lapsed- exactly 5 minutes! The dealership porters were checking the oil without running or timing the shut down period- they were never instructed. Every time they moved it, they added a quart. Thank goodness I didn't decide to take our Corvette on a road test- we had about 300 miles ahead of us and had to get loaded up and on our way. I think I avoided a major problem.
Start using the new oil recommendations from Chevy on the C7 & C8. The new blend from Mobil 1 is the ESP 0-40 (do not confuse it with the 0-40 European blend - it not the same.)
Mobil 1 has rebranded the ESP Blend now called Super Car 0-40. There are 2 very good reasons for using this oil, 1) since the C7 & C8 are direct injection engine there is no longer fuel atomization passing over the valves to prevent coking. 2) you no longer need change the oil recommended in the manual if you decide to Track your Corvette. I know you mentioned an oil you used for the past 20 years but I doubt those engines were direct injection.
I hope you verify the information I posted in servicing your C7. Oh, and congratulations on your Corvette purchase.
chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts