Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me get this straight: I need to wash the car with Dawn. Then I need to clay it. Then I need to polish it with a machine, or do I wax it? Then do I use a sealant? I wish there was a decent detailer in my area I could just pay to do it for me. I have even looked into that CQuartz, but the closest one is Kenner, Louisiana. And by the way, what is the benefit of the CQuartz besides that it makes the car look great? Does it mean less work for me in the future? :confused:

·
Registered
579 Posts
So let me get this straight: I need to wash the car with Dawn. Then I need to clay it. Then I need to polish it with a machine, or do I wax it? Then do I use a sealant? I wish there was a decent detailer in my area I could just pay to do it for me. I have even looked into that CQuartz, but the closest one is Kenner, Louisiana. And by the way, what is the benefit of the CQuartz besides that it makes the car look great? Does it mean less work for me in the future? :confused:

Have a Read and look at the flow chart. >>>> Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

and if you need a Cheap DA Polisher >> 6 in. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher buffing.gif

I personally enjoy detailing my rides :cool:

flowchart.jpg

Reactions: wareagle92

·
18,670 Posts
Like "urrtoast's" post. There will be answers from detailers to your questions. Let me share how I take care of my car and still, eight years old, it and it's paint are getting lots of compliments (not that there aren't many better ways, not that some eight year cars do not look better).

I drove it home, 2,800 miles from Museum Delivery, and on the car, each night, I first used a California Duster to remove the loose dust, then used microfiber clothes and a lots of "dry wash" products to keep bugs and dirt for settling into the paint. Got home, washed it, clay'd it, then waxed it. Follow this process for eight years, waxing it at least once a year. True it does not sit out at night and it doesn't get run in snow or ice. However, it has taken many long trips, including two other cross-country trips. I enjoy my car, do not worry about it. Doesn't have a foot-deep gloss look to it, yet wins trophies periodically enough. My car is to be driven; it is not a show car. To each, their own. Have I learned from this forum recently, and its detailers and glen e? You bet. Will my 2015 get BlackFire polish or equivalent? Yes! But not much more. Will the cars done by detailers look glossier? Yes. Will I love and drive my car a lot. Yes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to know. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found a Blackfire exterior car kit that has the clay, the wax, and everything (it seems) on the autogeek.net website. Maybe I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
58 Posts
1. No you do not need to wash your car with Dawn. Yes you can, IF YOU WANT To, but you do not need too. A dawn wash is just a really good way to strip any polishing oils or old waxes/sealants off your paint when your giving it a FULL detail. This is normally done by professionals who are doing full corrections or someone who is doing this prior to their own weekend warrior marathon on the paint finish of their vehicle.

2.Correct, you would clay following washing the car. You do not need to clay everything, if you are going to a professional, they will do it. If your asking in regards to yourself, then you do it when you think it needs it done. On a daily driver, probably every 3-6 months. On a weekend toy, maybe once a year. On a garage queen...probably once in its life. lol.

3a. If you are following the above steps and asking about polishing, then you are doing a full detail. So yes, after the first two you would polish or compound. Depends on the depth you are doing with the paint and what finish you want to achieve.

3b. If you are not polishing and you just did a light clay detail. Then you can rewash and move onto waxing or sealing. What ever your personal preference is. Wax = for a show look, short longevity. Sealant = deep gloss and reflection, longer longevity.

4. As for the closest person to you, he does not use CQuartz, but is an excellent detailer. He is mobile and might be able to get out to you. Donald Fezakas - 3343158951

5. The benefits to CQuartz is that is makes your car looks great, will last as a protective barrier (UV) for 2-3 years depending how its maintained, will increase the clears hardness by 2H, is extremely hydrophobic and retains the gloss from buffing process for anywhere from a year to a year and a half.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I thought you were supposed to let the paint cure for a while before you did this to a new car? Or am I missing something on the new paint they are using now? Just a question.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mirror Mike,

My dealer's wash bay is a auto wash outdoors. I've also noticed that on showroom cars, the wax hasn't been complietely buffed. Given these two observations, I'll be instructing the prep guys to get the interior in shape for delivery but I'm going to decline having them wash and wax. I'm hoping to get the car to a detailer for CQuartz, ASAP after I take delivery. Also want a clear bra for the bumper and headlamps. Am I on the right track? Should the detailer polish before CQuartz? Thanks much for your very informative posts.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
George,

Any detailer doing the CQuartz process should always prep the paint before the sealant is applied. In fact, I would hope they would decline to do the treatment if they weren't the ones doing the prep work. I can't imagine a scenario where polish/glaze wouldn't be needed prior to applying the sealant and from what I've seen on the C7's yours will need polish at a minimum.....

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I thought you were supposed to let the paint cure for a while before you did this to a new car? Or am I missing something on the new paint they are using now? Just a question.
That hasn't been true in at least 20 years regarding new vehicles; the paint process that is utilized at the factory is "thermo-cured," meaning the paint is baked at a high temperature and is fully cured as soon as it hits the end of the assembly line.

Mirror Mike,

My dealer's wash bay is a auto wash outdoors. I've also noticed that on showroom cars, the wax hasn't been complietely buffed. Given these two observations, I'll be instructing the prep guys to get the interior in shape for delivery but I'm going to decline having them wash and wax. I'm hoping to get the car to a detailer for CQuartz, ASAP after I take delivery. Also want a clear bra for the bumper and headlamps. Am I on the right track? Should the detailer polish before CQuartz? Thanks much for your very informative posts.
You're absolutely on the right track. Your detailer will be polishing your car prior to CQuartz Finest application.

George,

Any detailer doing the CQuartz process should always prep the paint before the sealant is applied. In fact, I would hope they would decline to do the treatment if they weren't the ones doing the prep work. I can't imagine a scenario where polish/glaze wouldn't be needed prior to applying the sealant and from what I've seen on the C7's yours will need polish at a minimum.....
Correct; all CQuartz Finest installers are required to perform a thorough and complete prep process including polishing prior to applying the coating.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mirror Mike,

To add, make sure you get the paint polished prior to having the paint protection film applied. The gloss will show better through the film and give it a better overall look. Not really proven, just my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts