Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
16,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RedHot's free OnStar has just expired (interestingly enough at least two weeks prior to the 6 month anniversary of when I picked her up at the NCM) and I found out by talking with OnStar that what I was informed by OnStar at the start was misinformation. They told me that the phone app "RemoteLink" was free and fully functional for 5 years starting with the 2014 models (on my 2013 XTS the app was only free while your OnStar subscription was active). Well as it turns out that isn't the case, the only functions that continue to be free after your OnStar subscription is no longer active, is the remote lock, unlock, start and horn and lights. These of course are the same functions that you always have with your key fob. You no longer can remotely check mileage, mpg, oil life, tire pressure, or (in my opinion the most valuable function) download a route to your nav from your phone. IMO this is a pretty chincy policy by GM and OnStar.:(

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
RedHot's free OnStar has just expired (interestingly enough at least two weeks prior to the 6 month anniversary of when I picked her up at the NCM) and I found out by talking with OnStar that what I was informed by OnStar at the start was misinformation. They told me that the phone app "RemoteLink" was free and fully functional for 5 years starting with the 2014 models (on my 2013 XTS the app was only free while your OnStar subscription was active). Well as it turns out that isn't the case, the only functions that continue to be free after your OnStar subscription is no longer active, is the remote lock, unlock, start and horn and lights. These of course are the same functions that you always have with your key fob. You no longer can remotely check mileage, mpg, oil life, tire pressure, or (in my opinion the most valuable function) download a route to your nav from your phone. IMO this is a pretty chincy policy by GM and OnStar.:(
That's my understanding too. My Silverado subscription is ending too and I just can't justify the OnStar cost. If they offered the remote diags separate from the full package for something like $50/year I might be interested.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Mine ran out yesterday....just can't see the cost vs value. Liked turn by turn directions and the remote app but not for the $$$.
How much is the fee?

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Yes, it is also my understanding that OnStar originally misinformed you. The only true benefit is remote starting your car from a distance further than your fob will reach (for example, when you are a few minutes from your car instead of 15 seconds away, to give your car's climate control more tome to condition the air in your car before you get there).

I, too, like the other aspects of RemoteLink (check the fuel level, oil change interval, et cetera), but agree that I'm not sure how much it is really worth to my wife and me.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Go to the OnStar website....many plans
Actually 2 plans, Safe and Sound for $200/year and Directions and Connections for $300/year. After much consideration I succumbed and renewed my Silverado on the $200 plan. I like the diagnostics report and capabilities.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
480 Posts
On star? What's that? I seriously have not even tried anything with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's stated as follows:

"...with 2014 OnStar equipped vehicles, when you download and use RemoteLink just once during your OnStar trial or consecutive subscription, you'll unlock access to the RemoteLink Key Fob Services, including Remote Start, Remote Door Lock and Remote Horn and Lights, for five years from date of vehicle delivery."

Checking oil and gas can't be done from your key fob, thus "she's a no-go" after the trial period.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know there are other threads on this, but I haven't found anything substantiated- How does one disconnect the black box on the C7?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
I know there are other threads on this, but I haven't found anything substantiated- How does one disconnect the black box on the C7?
Thanks in advance.
Mike
Have you found it yet? It should be somewhere in the trunk under one of the panels or carpet. If you find it, I am sure others would like to know where it is. Good luck!

·
Registered
579 Posts
And why would you want to?? got a conspiracy theory..lol

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Haven't looked yet, but intend to this weekend.
I personally have zero need for it. My car is a track day/weekend weapon.
Tell us where you find it. Big Brother may look over my shoulder, but I want to know where to poke him in the eye just in case I ever feel like it. :)

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
just called Onstar and they were great about verifying my plan is cancelled, but reinstated my 5 year iPhone app, no questions asked, to start/stop/lock the car...painless....also verified the app will start my car in an completley closed underground garage...nice....

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
just called Onstar and they were great about verifying my plan is cancelled, but reinstated my 5 year iPhone app, no questions asked, to start/stop/lock the car...painless....also verified the app will start my car in an completley closed underground garage...nice....
Glen, I think OnStar uses General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) for a primary communication link. In general, OnStar should be able to get a link if your car is parked in a location where you can normally get service to your mobile phone. This is not 100% accurate for various reasons, but it is a great approximation.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Glen, I think OnStar uses General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) for a primary communication link. In general, OnStar should be able to get a link anywhere your cell phone can get a link. This is not 100% accurate for various reasons, but it is a great approximation.
you should know Rodney by now , I don't care how it works, just that it does....(Grin)

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
you should know Rodney by now , I don't care how it works, just that it does....(Grin)
What I was wanting to say Glen is that when you park anywhere, if you want to know before you walk away from your car if you can remotely access OnStar later or not, just glance at your mobile phone to see your service bars before you walk away. If your mobile has service at that location, there is an extremely high probability that OnStar will as well.

So, it is a simple test to see before you walk away.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
I also wanted to throw in a "don't overthink it" somewhere there, but, unfortunately, I think that applies to me instead of you.

*sigh*

LOL!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts