Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we're 2,500 miles into our trip. Mostly did the Route 66 and now we're near Chicago. Driving Illinois road has been a challenge. Bad roads every where. Well on a highway...4 lane...my side was limited to 1 lane due to construction. Of course no work was being done at the time. I was doing about 50mph crossing a bridge....there was a terrible looking bump. I move slightly to avoid but it was the full width of the lane. Wham. I thought the wheel would explode or at least crack. All good. Next was a small road leading to gas station. Pot holes galore. Wham number two.
Next was a heavy clunk under the car then a piece of metal flying out the rear. Pulled over to check but nothing seemed amiss.
My Vette is performing like a tank...not that I want it that way in real terms but it has been great.
Those Michelins have been great and all is good.

·
Administrator
17,146 Posts
Wow that certainly adds angst to your Route 66 tour. Hope the rest will be smooth and trouble free.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So we're 2,500 miles into our trip. Mostly did the Route 66 and now we're near Chicago. Driving Illinois road has been a challenge. Bad roads every where. Well on a highway...4 lane...my side was limited to 1 lane due to construction. Of course no work was being done at the time. I was doing about 50mph crossing a bridge....there was a terrible looking bump. I move slightly to avoid but it was the full width of the lane. Wham. I thought the wheel would explode or at least crack. All good. Next was a small road leading to gas station. Pot holes galore. Wham number two.
Next was a heavy clunk under the car then a piece of metal flying out the rear. Pulled over to check but nothing seemed amiss.
My Vette is performing like a tank...not that I want it that way in real terms but it has been great.
Those Michelins have been great and all is good.
On behalf of all Illinoisans, let me offer our hearty welcome our state. We hope you enjoy your stay. As you drive on to greener pastures, please offer a moment of silence for those of us who are stuck year 'round and get to enjoy those wonderful roads every day. --Bob

Reactions: Z28+23

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I grew up in Chicago.....I know this place. But......

Latest today...I was driving back from Chicago NW side (SuperDawg...another story) and in Itasca (suburb) I start to cross a train track while in slow traffic (train had just passed...gates went up) and wham! We hit something underneath and start hearing dragging noises. I immediately stop and check the front of the Vette. Jammed under the right side is a tree branch. About 2" diameter. I pull it out and drive on....with traffic all around. Could have been worse I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts