Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interestingly, it was dismissed because the judge ruled, in essence, that the wheels have a design flaw, rather than a defect in materials or manufacturing.
EEK! :eek:

Lawsuit Over Corvette Cracked Rims Dismissed In California

One of the lawsuits filed against General Motors over the well-known C7 Corvette cracked rims issue has been dismissed.

The judge presiding over this suit, which was filed in the spring of last year in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, ruled that the plaintiff in the case did not prove that the problems with factory wheels on the C7 Corvette Z06 and Grand Sport were caused by a defect in the materials or workmanship rather than a design defect. While GM’s three-year, 36,000-mile factory warranty covers defective parts that do not work as they are intended, they do not cover inherent design flaws with vehicle parts. The plaintiff’s case hinged on the fact that GM had expressly breached its own warranty claims, so it was thus thrown out.

The plaintiff in this Corvette cracked rims suit alleges the lightweight aluminum alloy wheels that come standard on the C7 Corvette Z06 and Grand Sport are prone to bending, warping and/or cracking. This is a widely documented and discussed problem in the C7 Corvette owners community, with Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter having previously acknowledged the issue to owners through an online forum. Juechter said the problem can be caused by owners hitting potholes or other bumps in the road and then continuing to drive on the wheel, which can cause it to warp severely.

A number of other suits have been filed over the Corvette cracked rims problem, including two separate ones in April and October of this year. We’ll continue to follow these cases as they progress through the courts, as this is a worrying and seemingly widespread issue among C7 Corvette Z06 and Grand Sport owners.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,361 Posts
Did you actually think GM would honor replacing the maybe hundreds or thousands of cracked wheel issues? I didn't.
I see the individual suits are being thrown out, so what are the chances of the class action suit? My take.......slim to none.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well you all wanted a race car that you could drive on the street. Of course those wheels will bend and crack. It's a huge cantilever design, with low profile tires. GM would probably have to increase the mass of material used by at least 25% to gain sufficient strength to deal with our neglected, poorly engineered, poorly paved roads. When is Infrastructure week again? Oh that's right, we need a couple more $100 billion aircraft carriers, and new class of $30 billion submarines... When we can't even adequately maintain the submarines and ships we already have.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Not going to get into those subjects, this ain't the place for those debates. Besides, it will get locked down soon enough if continued.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
711 Posts
The problem is trying to cut cost on one of the most essential parts on the car that gets all the wear and tear. I to this day don't understand why you put substandard wheels on your Iconic Flagship Sports Car. Why not build in the cost of quality wheels in the price of the car and no one would care if it increased the price by $500,$1000,$1500 to know they have quality wheel or heck give you an option to upgrade the wheel to one of the top aftermarket brands IE: HRE, Forgeline, Signature etc as most people who own these cars would pay more for better quality.

Well you all wanted a race car that you could drive on the street. Of course those wheels will bend and crack. It's a huge cantilever design, with low profile tires. GM would probably have to increase the mass of material used by at least 25% to gain sufficient strength to deal with our neglected, poorly engineered, poorly paved roads. When is Infrastructure week again? Oh that's right, we need a couple more $100 billion aircraft carriers, and new class of $30 billion submarines... When we can't even adequately maintain the submarines and ships we already have.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there a way to replace OEM wheels doing away with this problem? Reminds my of my Harley MC's that always needed upgrading of some type over OEM capabilities.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
I did something about it, replaced the wheels :p but can't find the rear tires......well I showed them.........:cautious:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Is there a way to replace OEM wheels doing away with this problem? Reminds my of my Harley MC's that always needed upgrading of some type over OEM capabilities.
Several owners have gone with Forged Wheels. Much more expensive but no more cracks and bends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dead horse, I know, but porosity in the casting greatly reduces strength in aluminum wheels, essentially rendering them brittle and subject to fracture upon impact. My question is, was metallurgical data/images provided to the judge?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I might add, did the plaintiff ask for 'curb impact test results' from GM? If Tadge said there is no problem with the wheels, then their curb impact data will certainly reveal it. My opinion, as a Materials Engineer, is a combination of two things; poor casting AND a design flaw . This could be easily verified with the proper experiments. Cracks at the outer edge of the rim are very unusual, normally seen, for example, at one of the spokes where it meets the relatively massive hub. Also, run flat tires require a modified rim profile to accommodate the stiff run flat design. The porosity of cast wheels is monitored by x-ray florescence as they move down the line in the casting production sequence. All such wheels are tested this way in the USA to make sure no bad wheels get out to the public. In fact, holes are drilled in the bad wheels so that even as scrap they cannot be bootlegged.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone determined if this cracking or bending is being caused by the tire changing process ? Are most owners doing a tire change @ GM dealers or name tire shops ?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Has anyone determined if this cracking or bending is being caused by the tire changing process ? Are most owners doing a tire change @ GM dealers or name tire shops ?
Many have had cracked wheels before they ever had to remove a tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts