Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you can see, my Stingray is all buttoned up for the Michigan winter. There are a lot of previous posts regarding storing your Corvette. However, some of our newer members might be unaware that you should NOT completely fill your gas tank.
Vehicle cover Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

For long term storage C7 engineers recommend having only a 1/4 tank of gas. Filling beyond this level may cause damage to the sending unit. The double door in the fuel filler inlet and a charcoal filter prevent moisture from collecting in the tank.

·
Registered
2015 Z51 LT3 Shark Grey Convertible
8 Posts
Well as you can see, my Stingray is all buttoned up for the Michigan winter. There are a lot of previous posts regarding storing your Corvette. However, some of our newer members might be unaware that you should NOT completely fill your gas tank. View attachment 282597

For long term storage C7 engineers recommend having only a 1/4 tank of gas. Filling beyond this level may cause damage to the sending unit. The double door in the fuel filler inlet and a charcoal filter prevent moisture from collecting in the tank.
why Isn’t the sending unit damaged when you keep your tank full the rest of the year. It just doesn’t make sense!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yeah Paul I also just put mine up on the lift for its long winter nap. I also went for the idea of keeping the fuel level below 1/4 tank, but one complication is that it is difficult to get it there exactly on time. Last year I couldn't and ended up with a full tank. This year I made it, but just barely. Due to driving needs, I ended up showing only about 40 miles left in the tank. Just enough to get to the gas station in April!. If I had had one more errand to run it would have been tough. I also pumped up the tires to 45 psi to lessen flat spotting; has worked pretty well for many years. On the plus side, due to unusually warm weather this year, I got about two extra weeks of driving. But just got our first snowflakes yesterday and are due for more on Sunday. --Bob

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Paul Koener posted this explanation about the fuel level recommendation for storage on his Corvette Mechanic YouTube video. This may be more than you ever wanted to know or needed to know. But, the fix for fuel sensor contamination looks pretty extensive/expensive. Here is a link to that video:

(Jeff: I hope it is OK to share this link here.) No issues- thanks for asking.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I owned my last vette for 17 years and filled the tank full every winter and never had a problem.
I always did the same for my ZR-1s over the last 20+ years of ownership, but they were pre-1997 cars. With those, moisture accumulation was the problem, With today's tanks that isn't an issue, but as Paul Koener discovered, the sensor contacts are a problem. So I will be trying to follow Paul's advice, although as noted in my last post I am not always successful. I have not had any problems with a full tank for the first few years of Z06 ownership, and I always run a container of Techron through the tank in the spring. But if I can do it each year, I will try from now on to keep my fuel level lower than 1/4 tank. --Bob

Reactions: Henry427

·
Registered
2015 Z51 7M
204 Posts
I hate to see these posts since we drive them year round in the south. My winter storage is putting away the golf clubs from mid December until March. This is great information though for everyone since you never know what circumstance other than weather could result in not driving your car for an extended length of time. Thanks for sharing and hoping spring comes early for you.

Reactions: Henry427

·
Administrator
16,914 Posts
Reactions: MCmadness

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just put mine away for the winter: new oil change, 1/8 tank of gas with Stabil, over inflate tires, disconnect battery, warm cover, heated storage, and keep mirrors extended (folding them in for long periods of time causes breakage).

·
Registered
10 Posts
The movement (sloshing) of the gas while you are driving prevents build up on the sending unit as opposed to being immersed in fuel with no movement.
Build up of what? Is it alcohol related?
It is only the C7’s that have the need. I don’t know about the C8s. Prior years were best with a full tank if subject to temp changes. In climate controlled storage environments it didn’t matter.
our experience with hundreds of C5-C7 has only indicated the sulfur sensitivity in C7’s. It seems the methanol content exacerbates the problem. In our area non-alcohol gasoline is yet available and has caused no issues even with full C7 tanks. Storage in WI runs November 1 to April 15 or so. Also, flat spots on tires round out in the first 10 miles or so in our 50 years of vintage/sport storage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well as you can see, my Stingray is all buttoned up for the Michigan winter. There are a lot of previous posts regarding storing your Corvette. However, some of our newer members might be unaware that you should NOT completely fill your gas

It is also helpful to note that if you add Stabiil (or any additive) you must use the extension funnel supplied with the car(left side trunk storage compartment) to clear the double fuel filler flaps. I at first used a standard funnel which led to a pool of additive underneath the car!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I owned my last vette for 17 years and filled the tank full every winter and never had a problem.
Yeah, I did the same with all my vettes thinking a full tank would keep condensation out. However, after seeing the corvette mechanics answer Ive made the change to my C7 with the new technology,
BTW- he also says that with the Z-51 does need an oil can for blow-by issues!
Go figure…..
chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts