Stingray Corvette Forum banner

OnStar 10 & Wi-Fi

10K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Mike Mercury 
#1 ·
Thanks to GM's TechLink, we know more about the new wi-fi system present in the 2015 Corvette StingRay, Z06 and many other GM vehicles. The following is GM's internal direction to its Technicians, including noting additional PDI components.

OnStar Generation 10 and Wi-Fi

"Faster service and an available Wi-Fi® hotspot are just two of the advantages of the new OnStar Generation 10 system available in many 2015 GM cars and light-duty trucks. The OnStar Gen 10 system uses Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM) to communicate data and voice signals over the national cellular network. The Telematics Communication and Interface Control Module in the vehicle also has the ability to act as a Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) Wi-Fi hotspot similar to a household wireless router.

The Telematics Communication and Interface Control Module houses an internal WLAN antenna enabling hotspot connectivity and streaming high-speed media to the entertainment system. The module is capable of up to 4G LTE speeds (4G is the fourth generation of mobile telecommunications technology, and LTE, or Long-Term Evolution, is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data) and houses two technology systems: one to process Global Positioning System (GPS) data and another for cellular information. The module sends and receives all cellular communications over two cellular antennas and cellular antenna coax cables.

Wi-Fi Hotspot
The Telematics Communication Interface Control Module acts as a Wi-Fi hotspot router and provides direct 4G LTE connectivity to the Internet. It has the ability to connect up to seven compatible mobile devices (smartphones, tablets and laptops) at one time. Devices must be WPA2 compliant Consult the device manufacturer for information regarding the WPA2 security protocol and Wi-Fi device compatibility.

An OnStar data plan is required to use the vehicle’s Wi-Fi hotspot. New customers receive a three-month or 3 GB (whichever comes first) trial data plan with the purchase of an eligible 2015 vehicle.

The system uses a secure autoconnect feature between the Telematics Communication Interface Control Module and the radio/Human Machine Interface (HMI). It is always available and ready to connect to a dedicated in-vehicle device. The ignition must be in Run, Accessory or Retained Accessory Power for Wi-Fi to operate.

TIP: The Wi-Fi hotspot has a range of 50 feet (15 meters) from the vehicle.

The coverage for the in-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot depends on the wireless carrier network coverage. When driving in areas where coverage fluctuates, performance may be impacted. In a 2G-coverage area, the Wi-Fi hotspot will not work. In a 3G-coverage area, streaming data or video to mobile devices may result in the degradation of service. Coverage maps are available on onstar.com.

When the OnStar data plan is activated, a security default password is established for the Wi-Fi connection. There are several ways to change the SSID or password, including by placing a call to the OnStar Call Center, using the Gen 10 mobile app or through the scan tool.

Connecting to Wi-Fi

To connect to the Wi-Fi hotspot, users need to start a Wi-Fi network search on the mobile device, select the vehicle hotspot listed, and then enter the password when prompted.

The “SSID” is the name of the Wi-Fi hotspot for the vehicle, which is used to identify which Wi-Fi hotspot a user connects to.

To retrieve the SSID and password for the hotspot, press the OnStar Voice Command button on the overhead console or rearview mirror, wait for the prompt, and then say “Wi-Fi settings”. The information will be displayed on the infotainment screen.

For assistance or to change the SSID and password, press the blue OnStar button or call 1-888-4-ONSTAR to connect to an OnStar Advisor.

Updates to PDI

The following information regarding OnStar 4G LTE and Wi-Fi has been added to the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) form:
• OnStar hardware check (green light)
• Ensure antenna mast is attached
• Wi-Fi broadcast check – customer hotspot feature
- Press the OnStar Voice Command Button and say “Wi-Fi Settings”
- Using the information on the screen, connect a device
- Using a Wi-Fi enabled device (smartphone, tablet, and/or laptop)
- Verify that you can connect to vehicle’s hotspot.

See less See more
#5 ·
Well, some mobile phones can be turned into 4G hot spots to provide Wi-Fi to several paired devices. Like Glen, I don't see the big advantage unless it provides software updates without having to go to the dealership, or if they will go ahead and open up full internet access to something like Google Maps on the built-in dash.

#6 ·
I was told by a reasonably knowledgeable salesman that the nav system can be updated through the 4G, but I have found no independent verification of that.

#8 ·
It is going to cost you more than a Buck + (not the 100+MPH, but real green).

Chevrolet AppShop Offers Connected Car Personalization

Selected Quotes: (The proposed applications are at the bottom of the news release in the link above.)

"Chevrolet AppShop Offers Connected Car Personalization"

"EDITOR'S NOTE: The AppShop feature noted below has been delayed and will not be available in MY15 vehicles. We remain committed to bringing this technology to market at a later date."

“We listen to our customers, and they want more choices like they have with their smartphones,” said Alan Batey, senior vice president of Global Chevrolet. “They’re telling us they want more integration, more options, and more control in a safe manner. Chevrolet AppShop is an in-vehicle information resource that allows our drivers to customize and refine their experiences from their Chevrolet.”

"Chevrolet AppShop should help keep smartphones in pockets."

I don't want my smart phone in my pocket, I want it integrated into MyLink, Bluetooth or USB. This is a real bummer, Chevrolet sure as heck didn't listen to this customer. I am very disappointed that MyLink doesn't integrate smart phones. They can be voice activated, and I agree with disabling keyboard while car is moving. I disagree with the concept of using my expensive car system to market me additional services that I already have, but am blocked from using.

Now, to add insult to injury, it looks like the 14 StingRay's are going to be orphans in the digital world, the 15's will have 4GLTE built in cell phone (now that takes me back to 1990's, when cell phones were nonportable), access Chevrolet AppShop applications (at a cost I would probably not be willing to pay anyway), and we will have Pandora and a substandard Nav System.

#11 ·
I've had mobile Wi-Fi capability before anyone knew what a hotspot was, this is a big yawn. Then again, there are a ton of tech neophytes that GM can exploit because they aren't even aware their smartphone has been able to do the same thing for years.

#12 ·
Hmm I just don't see a reason to pay another bill to have something that can not do anymore than the smartphones that almost everyone has. I see this as a gimmick that will get pretty expensive as people max out their data plans. I guess they haven't noticed how many people already dump Onstar after the trial period expires. Oh and my understanding is that it uses AT&T network, so I can't see a Verizon user like myself wanting to add another cell bill. Maybe the AT&T customers can add it to their plans at a decent price....not forgetting that you still have to pay the Onstar bill.

#13 ·
Hopefully the take rate on subscriptions will be so very low that they will reconsider their entire strategy here.

#14 ·
That would be great!

On-Star is still a money maker so they are still milking the cow. As you point out, if enough people vote by closing their checkbooks, change will occur.

And they can keep the AT&T only approach. I have a Verizon account and they have better coverage in this part of New York than AT&T.

#15 ·
Is there some guidance as to what 'plans' will be offered with these?

For example, if you want OnStar 'safe and secure' the emergency thing that lowers our auto insurance premium, will that still be a level?

And then 'directions and connections' a second level, like now.

And THEN the Wi-Fi thing, which I don't want, so I don't want it 'wrapped up' into one of the other plans?

Or are we going to be stuck with getting this data / Wi-Fi level for basic On-Star?

I don't need pricing (although wouldn't that be interesting). I am just curious about plans that will be offered at this point. Nothing yet on the On-Star Website on this.

#16 ·
Here are a couple of links that may help:

GM sets 4G LTE pricing for its cars: Different from Audi, still not cheap | ExtremeTech

Chevrolet AppShop Offers Connected Car Personalization

As I understand it, about $20/month for basic, $30/month for directions and connections, and if you have built in GPS and want weather and traffic you will have to have the Sirius Plan (around $50/month total).

Data is not required, but pricing is pretty steep, and they don't assume much data use.

"•200 MB per month = $5 ($10 without Directions & Connections plan)
•1GB per month = $15 ($20 without Directions & Connections)
•3GB per month = $30
•5GB per month = $50
•250 MB for one day = $5
•10GB over 12 months = $150 ($200 without Directions & Connections)
•AT&T Share Plan customers = $10 per month per GM car"

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Suzy Cruisy
#18 ·
Update anyone?

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I'm trying to figure out the new hotspot feature on my forthcoming Z.

So, as I understand it, I can only purchase data from OnStar at their premium pricing? I can't simply add my car to my current AT&T data plan as a new devise?

we all agree providing wifi device access to driver and passenger is of very limited use. Those of us with smartphones/devices already have much cheaper and more robust data plans.

I assume the OnStar data plan is necessary to power the apps built into the infotainment system such as Pandora. A dated article linked above said there would be a GM 'App Shop' from which we could download other music and weather apps, etc to take advantage of the hotspot. But GM has yet to open their App Shop, correct?

I hate the sound quality of music on satellite radio. I do like the travel links that come with Sirius and in particular the weather radar which is very useful on long trips. I would be happy to pay for the OnStar data plan if it allowed me a handful of music apps, map and weather radar linked to my location, and say, the NPR app they say they will offer. Goodby forever Sirius!

Who wouldn't love to be able to run Waze through the infotainment screen?

But right now all of this is in flux, right? The most current article I could find had this very interesting tidbit,
At the same time, The General is working with Apple and Google to bring CarPlay and Android Auto to its vehicles. The technologies will project the content of the phone to the infotainment screen, thereby resembling the user interface of the smartphone/tablet device brought into the car by the driver or passengers.

And that’s where the overlap takes place: whenever AppShop launches, a driver could theoretically use AppShop to download an app to the vehicle’s infotainment system and use it as it’s running locally, or use Apple CarPlay/Google Auto to mirror the contents of their device to the screen.

Read more: GM Is Not Canceling MyLink, Nor AppShop AppStore | GM Authority
I would love to be able to fully stream my iPhone or iPad thru the infotainment system with an interface that really mirrored my phone. The ultimate would be a fully functioning iPad mini in place of the infotainment screen that included apps necessary to operate the car systems. But I guess no one is really talking about this.

So, does anyone have anything more current? Has anyone made use of the hotspot, built in Pandora, etc? I'd love more info or an update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.