Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through several threads on this forum and others, I have decided to remove the Onstar antenna from my car. A local dealership was nice enough to tell me the location (above the rearview mirror).

Does anyone have any information on the disassembly of that part of the car. I'm inclined to call it a headliner, but I'm sure that isn't the right word for it.

Please, I do not want this thread to deteriorate into a conspiracy theory based firestorm about NSA spying and paranoia, instead let's discuss how to take apart a 2014 C7 Z51 interior trim.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have the whole interior of the back of my vette apart right now. I had read that there was a OnStar module, I can't see one.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
WHY??? If you don't want it, don't pay for it!!! You paid a pretty penny to have it.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
After reading through several threads on this forum and others, I have decided to remove the Onstar antenna from my car. A local dealership was nice enough to tell me the location (above the rearview mirror).

Does anyone have any information on the disassembly of that part of the car. I'm inclined to call it a headliner, but I'm sure that isn't the right word for it.

Please, I do not want this thread to deteriorate into a conspiracy theory based firestorm about NSA spying and paranoia, instead let's discuss how to take apart a 2014 C7 Z51 interior trim.

Thanks,
Todd
That will likely not do what you want. Even without an efficient antenna, the OnStar system may (actually, probably will) still be able to link.

What you want to do is to remove the power from the OnStar box.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Is the module also the antenna?
In other cars, no, that is not the case. Usually the OnStar module is in the rear of the car, under some panels or carpet.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
See if you can pull the fuse, rather than rip the car apart, not sure which one...
If you can find the fuse for OnStar, and if that fuse does not feed anything else which you need to keep powered, then that is a nice, quick and easy way to do it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
someone once said the antennae was under one of the fenders/bumpers....

·
Registered
952 Posts
my bad; u r right!

·
Registered
952 Posts

Thanks,
Todd

·
Administrator
16,654 Posts
I don't understand why one would want to go through all the trouble to locate the OnStar unit and physically disable it as per the video vs just pulling the fuse from the rear compartment fuse block, #27.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'd be wanting to ground myself before I went touching that computer board so I don't fry it with an electrical shock.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts