Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
A guy on the other forum did. I think your dealer has to activate it. I am not sure exactly how it works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does anyone know if you can track your car in transport through OnStar?
not unless you already have delivery of it. the guy who tracked his on the ''other forum'' bought it, owned it and then had to send it back to the factory.
onstar must be activated by pressing the blue button on the mirror. impossible unless it is at the dealer.

·
Registered
993 Posts
not unless you already have delivery of it. the guy who tracked his on the ''other forum'' bought it, owned it and then had to send it back to the factory.
onstar must be activated by pressing the blue button on the mirror. impossible unless it is at the dealer.
That is incorrect. I was able to track mine. The catch is you need to finish the sale so the dealer can then activate onstar. From there you need to activate family link and then you can track the location. My only issue was timing since by the time family link was activated (24 hours after request) the car was at the dealer and they had called me. I was able to see mileage, MPG, and tire pressures prior to be able to determine that it had exited the rail car, loaded on the truck, and arrived at the dealer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's what I heard as well...blue button needs to be pressed within a specified amount of time after creating account.

·
Registered
174 Posts
In order to be able to track your car, you must sign up for the FamilyLink service, a$3.95/mo addition to your OnStar fee. You must have a credit/debit card on file with OnStar in order to add this service. The free 6 month service that GM gives us with the Stingray purchase does not automatically allow the addition of this service.

What is Family Link?
An optional paid service that allows OnStar subscribers to stay connected to their loved ones. Using the OnStar Family Link web site, you can locate an enrolled vehicle at any time. You can also choose to receive vehicle location alerts at any time in the form of email or text message. You select the day, time and frequency of alerts.

To further explain the Family Link application, see
https://www.familylink.onstar.com/familylink/ui/legal/familylink_setup_modal.pdf

Sounds like a good plan, that is if you plan on keeping the OnStar service. The trial GM gave us costs $29.95/mo. Add the $3.95 Family Link and you have a built in LoJack(sort of) on your Stingray. Of course, knowing this service exists, what would prevent a non-subscriber who, once had his Stingray stolen, to simply activate the service and immediately track and locate his car?

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Because, from what I have heard, there is a 24 hour waiting period from when you get Family Link until you are allowed to start using it. Maybe the waiting period is exactly to keep people from waiting until they need it before subscribing. If you want it to be available at a moment's notice, you have to have it all the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just tried to add family link to my as yet undelivered car and got a message saying the vehicle does not meet the criteria for onstar family link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts