Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has probably been answered elsewhere and I missed it but... With opti-coat pro, what kind of upkeep do you have to do to the finish? Do you only have to wash? Or do you ever have to wax or polish it? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
The detailers will chime in here, but it's pretty much wash from then on. Many do apply additional protection every 3-6 months with a product made to use over coatings called RELOAD....my car carries Cquartz and I RELOAD about every 6 months. A few guys on the detailer sites have used other polymers as well....it's not an exact science.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have Opti Coat Pro on my C7 and only use the optimum no rinse detailer diluted in water and a little stronger mixture in a spray bottle. I wipe the car down with soaked microfiber towels in the diluted solution and dry after. The car cleans up in 15-20 mins and looks better than when I picked it up at the museum. This stuff is awesome and maintenance is a breeze

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
21 Posts
For the most part the only thing you HAVE to do is wash the car. However, it doesn't hurt to apply a product like Car Pro Reload to the paint to enhance the gloss and boost the protection. Also, every couple years, depending on the weather, driving conditions, etc. you may need to clay bar the paint to remove contaminants or do a light polish to remove light defects.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have OCP on my daily driver and live in a salt belt. I have noticed the the salt slurry is VERY sticky and sticks to the coating. Each spring I have to do a nice decon of the surface and OCP POPs back to life. I spray down the whole painted surface with a strong degreaser (Optimum Power clean) after a wash, and then rewash the surface with this strong degreaser. I takes about two of these to bring back OCP strong.

Cheers,
GREG

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had OCP on my current daily driver car for 2 years now (as well as my previous car) and I live in the snow belt like Greg. Regular washing is KEY!!!

I'm super busy with 2 jobs and during the winter months my car will be lucky if it see's a few automatic touch-less car washes, which is not exactly proper care. Because of the lack of hand washing (agitation) things start to bond to the paint surface and beading will diminish, especially on the lowers. To rectify this I will do a decon in the spring (or as needed) with IronX and a tar remover like Tarminator or TarX, and BAM, the coating come right back to life. With those two products you likely won't need to clay, but if you do, use a fine grade clay and test a spot to see if it marrs that paint first. A light polish with a very mild cleaner/abrasive can be performed to help deep clean the paint, but over polishing can diminish the coating too, so I suggest only doing this when it's really needed.

Since most C7's will be fair weather drivers and garage kept, care should be very simple. ONR washes or traditional 2BM washes and if you want the added gloss and slick feeling, Reload, Hydr02, Opti-Seal, Optimum Instant Detailer, and Optimum Car Wax (spray) are all good choices.

Rasky

·
Registered
82 Posts
So this has probably been answered elsewhere and I missed it but... With opti-coat pro, what kind of upkeep do you have to do to the finish? Do you only have to wash? Or do you ever have to wax or polish it? Thanks!
As others have noted, washing will be your primary means of maintenance. OC does claim to be a permanent coating, i personally prefer to refer to it as semi-permanent, simply because A. It CAN be removed and B. Even when taken extremely good care of, after 2-3 years, more than likely you will want to polish and re-coat it IF you want to keep it looking its absolute best.

Glen mentioned using Reload, which i agree, is an awesome product made by Carpro (the makers of CQuartz Finest which you may too have read about on here, we use it quite often on customers vehicles). The thing with Reload is, it need to be applied to a completely oil free surface....but since OC is not a polymer or carnuba based protectant, reload should work just fine over OC. It LOOKS amazing and will serve as a "boost" to OC or Finest.

Wax i personally advise against on a coating, mainly because standard waxes/sealants tend to attract dust more than a coating does. Also as Glen and others have noted, chemically decontaminating the paint is a good thing to do (Iron X is what most of us detailers will use for this...since a clay bar could weaken the coating). Depending on how often you drive the car and where you live, 1-2 times a year should be good. Also a soap such as Iron X Snow Foam soap is a GREAT maintenance wash...its pricey but ive really fallen in love with it. Cleans VERY well, rinses off nicely and does help to break down light contaminates on the surface. Corey from CarPro-Us.com sells it (he is a vendor on here). Good stuff.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts