Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I will be the first one to post here. Any bets on when we can actually place our order for a Z06?

I'm thinking mid Nov. My guess is some delays will happen.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Man, that late in the year?...fist to face!!! Guess I have plenty of time to pick a color ><

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well most of the comments from GM has been Z06 delivery starting in early 2015.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't know why I thought we would be able to order sooner. The only date that really matters is the delivery date!!!

·
18,670 Posts
Thinking "akpancake" might be very close, if not spot on to the earliest order date. Let's see if any parallels to the StingRay convertible will help us answer this question.

GM committed to delivering the first convertible by the end of 2013. They exceeded their self imposed deadline. Orders for convertibles were first accepted approximately the last ten days of August (some debate remains about the exact date).

Since GM is saying that they're going to try to deliver the first Z06's by the end of this year, (though sometimes saying the very beginning of next year), I am thinking that they will start to accept formal orders from dealers with Z06 allocation approximately September 1st (guess, guess). We knew the exact convertible's options months before that, and might know the exact Z06 options as early as the NCM April "Bash," though maybe not until early August. Same timetable for pricing, e.g. late April to early August.

·
18,670 Posts
Could be an advantage if orders do not start until the beginning of September. GM always beings the new model year Corvettes to both the April NCM Bash and to NCM's Labor Day special event. This year, the Labor Day Museum event is characterized by two great things: The National Corvette Museum's 20th Anniversary Celebration and the destination event for the National Corvette Caravan. With 7,500 Corvettes expected at the Museum August 28-30th, GM will give all those folks an opportunity to see the new models, decide on options first hand. Of course, not every color/option will be present, but many are, as will be lead StingRay/Z06 engineers and staff to meet with, ask questions of, etc. Hopefully, if you are torn between two colors, you will be able to see them for yourself, especially with the hundreds and hundreds of 2014 StingRay's to be present -- brought by Caravan members. When at the Bash, will see if I can confirm that GM will bring one in Tiger Shark Gray to the August 28-30th event, so all there could see that new color for themselves. Guessing that they have already planned for that, and will not be surprised to also see one in TSG for the Bash for that very purpose. Maybe the TSG Z07?

For Z06 folks, maybe we will get a chance to see a Stage 1, a Stage 2 and a Z07 model in late August?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You might be right but I will say the convertible isn't all that different from the coupe. The Z06 has a lot more changes including the new 8-speed auto so even though I would love to see ordering in Aug I still think it will be delayed for reasons unknown, I might go Oct on this but seeing how they haven't even finalize the interior design yet I don't have my hopes up.

I am sure we'll see one and hopefully more at Corvettes at Carlisle and would love to see one of each stage but especially I want to see the stage 1 version to get a base reference from. Even better I'll get to talk to the GM engineers about this car. :)

Last year I got to see the Stingray, this year I get to see and talk about the Z06. Next year I drive a Z06 to Carlisle!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
You might be right but I will say the convertible isn't all that different from the coupe. The Z06 has a lot more changes including the new 8-speed auto so even though I would love to see ordering in Aug I still think it will be delayed for reasons unknown, I might go Oct on this but seeing how they haven't even finalize the interior design yet I don't have my hopes up.

I am sure we'll see one and hopefully more at Corvettes at Carlisle and would love to see one of each stage but especially I want to see the stage 1 version to get a base reference from. Even better I'll get to talk to the GM engineers about this car. :)

Last year I got to see the Stingray, this year I get to see and talk about the Z06. Next year I drive a Z06 to Carlisle!
I disagree. The convertible uses a completely different rear body section with all the bodywork and mechanical needed for the roof The Z06 chassis will come together utilizing the same tooling regardless the transmission because it was already stated the A8 has the same exact outside dimensions and case design, it's a plugin from a chassis point of view. The body and interior components mount to the same chassis points.

Another thing to remember is the Z06 has already been down the line in BG. Think back to the plant blackouts a couple months ago.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You make some valid points Mark except my thoughts weren't around the body parts so much as more around the mechanical pieces. The Coupe and convertible share the same engine, drive-train, interior, etc. The Z06 has a new engine, new drive-train and even a new slightly different designed interior. As well as computer control differences, brakes, wheels, tires, body panels and so forth. What we don't know is just how much testing has been done already and what future testing might find. The fact that the GM folks keep saying delivery early 2015 tells me there is still a lot of work to be done.

We've already seen some of the issues found on the current Stingray yet it went thru quite a bit of testing and quality was highly emphasized by GM. So I'm sure GM will use some of these lessons learn when it comes to a $85,000 + car.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
You make some valid points Mark except my thoughts weren't around the body parts so much as more around the mechanical pieces. The Coupe and convertible share the same engine, drive-train, interior, etc. The Z06 has a new engine, new drive-train and even a new slightly different designed interior. As well as computer control differences, brakes, wheels, tires, body panels and so forth. What we don't know is just how much testing has been done already and what future testing might find. The fact that the GM folks keep saying delivery early 2015 tells me there is still a lot of work to be done.

We've already seen some of the issues found on the current Stingray yet it went thru quite a bit of testing and quality was highly emphasized by GM. So I'm sure GM will use some of these lessons learn when it comes to a $85,000 + car.
Agreed, the testing, calibration and fixing whatever bugs they find as part of that could set the intro date back.

BTW, it think it's more of a $75,000+ car ;). Remember, if you can afford a C6 Z05 you can afford this one and the old Z06 with a unique frame and hand built parts was mid $70k. This one should actually be cheaper to produce relative to the base model than the C6 was.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope my dates are off but then again living in snow country means any delivery after Nov means putting it away for 5-6 months.

Boy I would love to see a $75k price especially if that price includes the Z51 and mag shock package. Better yet includes the performance exhaust as well.

Mark are you looking at the Z06 as well?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I hope my dates are off but then again living in snow country means any delivery after Nov means putting it away for 5-6 months.

Boy I would love to see a $75k price especially if that price includes the Z51 and mag shock package. Better yet includes the performance exhaust as well.

Mark are you looking at the Z06 as well?
No, not right now. I'm going to do a '14 or '15 Z51 and see what comes around in a few years.

·
18,670 Posts
You, and all of us, are in luck, for every Z06 comes standard, no matter what stage it is, with all Z-51 components (though many are beefed up/on steroids), MSRC and NPP.

Because all three of those "StingRay options" are standard equipment on all Z's, think you are about $5-7K light on base price. (Hope you are right and I am wrong.)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You, and all of us, are in luck, for every Z06 comes standard, no matter what stage it is, with all Z-51 components (though many are beefed up/on steroids), MSRC and NPP.

Because all three of those "StingRay options" are standard equipment on all Z's, think you are about $5-7K light on base price. (Hope you are right and I am wrong.)
Ya you're probably right with all those options as standard features the $75k does seem light.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Considering a 1LT Z51 with FE4 and NPP has an MSRP of $58380 I don't see why a 1LZ can't come in at $75,000. I certainly think the $17,000 can cover the engine, CF torque tube, brakes, wheels and bodywork.

It's all academic. It will be what it is and they will sell a lot of them because it should trounce cars costing twice as much.

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
I agree, Mark. Because they can start with the same chassis and not have to do anything custom there, it would make sense for the C7 Z06 to start at a price less than what the C6 Z06 did.

I think they may have a nice surprise with their Z06 pricing. There is no question that they can. The question is where they predict their profit per car times volume sold will be maximized.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm seriously considering holding off on 14' Z-51 loaded and waiting for the Z-06 Stage 1. My best guess is it will be about $8-10k more than what I have already signed up for. Nearly 200 more horsepower and torque. Only downside is time. My question is, do you think the drivability for the Stage 1 will be similar to that of a Z-51 on a day-to-day basis? Obviously, there will be a huge difference on the track but I'm interested in how it will ride compared to the Z-51 on a 250 mile road trip, the trip to the store, etc. Any thoughts?

·
18,670 Posts
I'm seriously considering holding off on 14' Z-51 loaded and waiting for the Z-06 Stage 1. My best guess is it will be about $8-10k more than what I have already signed up for. Nearly 200 more horsepower and torque. Only downside is time. My question is, do you think the drivability for the Stage 1 will be similar to that of a Z-51 on a day-to-day basis? Obviously, there will be a huge difference on the track but I'm interested in how it will ride compared to the Z-51 on a 250 mile road trip, the trip to the store, etc. Any thoughts?
The "stiffest" riding Corvette in the past two decades was/is the 2006 Z06 (and most of the 2007 Z's). GM realized there was a problem in its rear shocks and changed them to softer ones starting Z06's manufactured May 1, 2007 and later. Drove our C6 Z06 cross country several times and while the ride was/is very firm, loved/still love the car (though we did subsequently change to GM's revised Z06 rear shocks).

Believe that the Z06 will be absolutely fine for grocery-getting and even long trips, i.e., it comes with standard MSRC. GM has a relatively light clutch in all recent Corvettes, including both C6 Z's, and that too will continue. Enjoy it as a daily driver, though if you live in a super-congested, lots of stop-n-go areas, GM's optional eight-speed auto would solve that issue too.

Note: Please see different conclusions about the Z07 version a couple of posts below.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.