Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those that have received there C7 and had no constrictions and had an available slot what is the approximate timeline from initial order to the delivery of ur C7 .

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
To those that have received there C7 and had no constrictions and had an available slot what is the approximate timeline from initial order to the delivery of ur C7 .
Ordered mid-Dec. Dealer allocation received within two days. Had to switch to a transparent roof to avoid constraints (Glad I did. I like it so much doing it over I would have opted for it from the beginning). Car completed production on January 22. Bayed nearly three weeks at BG while waiting to fill a truckload shipment to be delivered to this area (mid-Atlantic). Shipped from BG on Friday Feb. 7. Received at dealer on Tues Feb 11. So overall less than two months.

You a patrooper. I was a fed stationed in Pittsburgh in the late seventies.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ordered on 12/30/13.
Built on 2/10/14.
Selected for "audit" inspection, Passed and turned over to shipping company on Feb. 14th.
Dealer says car is due to arrive on 2/26/14.
That works out to nine weeks if delivery date is correct. I'll know on Wednesday. :)

UPDATE: According to GM tracking my car arrived at the dealer but there is no actual date. It was either late on Saturday or on Sunday. The dealer never called me to say it was there. Once again I have to make a phone call to get the status on this car. The dealer is a disappointment when it comes to providing info but that's a story for another time. I hope to take delivery on Monday, March 3rd, if the service department can get the PDI done.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ordered on 12/30/13.
Built on 2/10/14.
Selected for "audit" inspection, Passed and turned over to shipping company on Feb. 14th.
That works out to nine weeks if delivery date is correct. I'll know on Wednesday. :)
What's an audit inspection?

·
18,670 Posts
It was, as per the following, at least at the beginning of the C6 generation, but may have changed since then. Steve Grilli who heads up BGAP quality control, asked me if I wanted my car to go through this process. I said "yes." He and his team, after it has it's assembly completed, move your car off to a separate area of the plant, and spend a total of 25 hours measuring/adjusting everything they can during that time, including taking it on a more extensive test ride. Things that are not per specs, are either replaced or fixed, and this info is then transmitted back to either the assembly line folks (adjusting their processes, their equipment, etc., to insure future cars do not have this problem), or if it is a part supplier problem, the part is immediately returned to the parts supplier with explicit directions for improvement/change of that part. We are talking measuring, using lasers, down to 1/1000th of an inch in some cases.

The extra quality audit adds about 25 miles to the odometer and adds approximately three/four days into the process. My C6 Z06 (#1 NCM Museum Delivery for that type of car) has been absolutely wonderful. You will not know what they adjusted/fixed/ replaced -- if anything, as a result of this extra quality audit. As my C7 Z06 will similarly be at/close to the beginning of C7 Z customer car assembly, when they select a higher percentage of cars for these special audits, hope mine is again chosen for such an audit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered mid-Dec. Dealer allocation received within two days. Had to switch to a transparent roof to avoid constraints (Glad I did. I like it so much doing it over I would have opted for it from the beginning). Car completed production on January 22. Bayed nearly three weeks at BG while waiting to fill a truckload shipment to be delivered to this area (mid-Atlantic). Shipped from BG on Friday Feb. 7. Received at dealer on Tues Feb 11. So overall less than two months.

You a patrooper. I was a fed stationed in Pittsburgh in the late seventies.
Yes I was. I retired in 94. Stationed in central Part of the state (near PSU)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Ordered 10/31
Picked up 1/2/2014
Your mileage may vary:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
How did you know your car was selected for audit?

Ordered on 12/30/13.
Built on 2/10/14.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ordered on 12/30/13.
Built on 2/10/14.
Curious did you order a non z51?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Ordered 12/04/13
Built 01/22/14
Del. 02/22/14 To MacMulkin in NH.

Booie. Glad you got it. We were built same day one car apart!!! Probably roads still too nasty for you to drive..put 100 miles today on mine today..forecast changed and was sunny/dry upper 40s.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
All,
I am starting to get the shakes ;) my baby is being conceived in BG next week and the arrangement I have with MacMulkin is a courtesy delivery to Sunny Southern California where I will be picking it up from a local dealer. To all of you that are familiar with the terrain and routes between BG and Southern California will the current east coast cold and bad weather hamper/affect /delay my delivery? Will the transport be by rail or truck?

·
Registered
993 Posts
All,
I am starting to get the shakes ;) my baby is being conceived in BG next week and the arrangement I have with MacMulkin is a courtesy delivery to Sunny Southern California where I will be picking it up from a local dealer. To all of you that are familiar with the terrain and routes between BG and Southern California will the current east coast cold and bad weather hamper/affect /delay my delivery? Will the transport be by rail or truck?
My bet is rail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All,
I too have been considering going the "courtesy delivery" route. Do you pay the selling dealer prior to pickup at the local dealer or will you have an opportunity to inspect the vehicle prior to paying?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
You really have no ability to pre inspect as the paperwork needs to be done at selling, not delivering dealer. Courtesy dealers don't much care for the experience, don't expect much from them, they make no money off it and you're usually waving a car in their face they could not get you. I strongly recommend go getting the car or shipping it.

GM has nothing to do with courtesy delivery, it's just an agreement outside the system between you and the delivering dealer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My Stingray is a Z51 model. As for the audit process, random Corvettes are regularly driven off the production line and put through additional road test miles by a plant engineer, about 20-25 miles or so, and then the car is checked out again by people at the plant. It's just another step in the quality control process. If anything wrong (rattles, fit & finish etc.) is found during the additional road test or during the final inspection after the drive it is fixed at the plant. My car passed this additional quality control process. My car was selected for this extra scrutiny thanks to a good friend who has worked at the plant. When he learned I had ordered my Stingray he said he would have some friends at the plant "keep an eye on it" during production. He called me in early February and asked if I would like to have my car go through the audit process and I said "Yes." The rest is history.
This same friend called me on March 2nd to tell me my car had finally arrived at the dealer. Have not received a call from the dealer yet but I hope to take delivery of my Stingray, later today, Monday.
My experience with the dealer has been less than what I expected (my current 2008 Corvette was purchased there) but that's another story for telling after I get the car.
I'll post my delivery experience, with a photo or two, once I actually get the car. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts