Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I have mixed feelings about having to start this thread. The good news is the car I ordered on 1/1 finally arrived at the dealership today. The bad news is the dealership is trying to charge me the post-price increase MSRP, which as an extra $3,200 on this Z-51, obviously unacceptable.

My understanding was any orders that hit 1100 before the 3/4 price increase were price protected. Is that not correct? Additionally, my order even hit 3000 on 2/25. I can't see how I could possibly be subject to the new price.

Unfortunately, my dealer isn't very smart on this. What information do I need to bring to their attention?

EDIT: Issue solved! Chevy Customer Care informed me that any orders placed in a customer's name (i.e. not just for inventory) before the 3/3/2014 price increase are price protected. Your dealer may get a window sticker with the new price increase on it when they car is delivered. If they don't understand that the invoice/MSRP should be the original lower price, have them call their Dealer Business Center. They should be able to tell them the real invoice/MSRP.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Well, I have mixed feelings about having to start this thread. The good news is the car I ordered on 1/1 finally arrived at the dealership today. The bad news is the dealership is trying to charge me the post-price increase MSRP, which as an extra $3,200 on this Z-51, obviously unacceptable.

My understanding was any orders that hit 1100 before the 3/4 price increase were price protected. Is that not correct? Additionally, my order even hit 3000 on 2/25. I can't see how I could possibly be subject to the new price.

Unfortunately, my dealer isn't very smart on this. What information do I need to bring to their attention?
Check the forum. I vaguely remember someone writing that their salesman got some code from GM to enter into "the system" so GM charged the dealer the old price instead of the new one.

Your dealership needs to figure out how to do this, or they don't know how to do their jobs very well.

Reactions: FilthyPhil

·
18,670 Posts
Sorry, I have never seen an official document from GM stating that anyone who was in their ordering system as a sold customer by March 2, 2014 was price protected. Your order, being 3000 in February, should not be subject to that price increase.

I would calmly go above the finance person and talk directly to the Sales Manager, and if not resolved, to the General Manager.

However, what about your original contract with its pre-price-increase price on it? We all know that ethical dealers have been honoring the pre-price increase on sold customer orders. Unfortunately, just saw another post on the internet that someone is having the same exact problem as you.

What do you state laws say, and would an attorney be able to help you? I hope it does not come to that, and will keep looking for any GM document that would help you. If I find it, it will be coming to you immediately, both as a post here and a PM to you. Good luck!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I hope this works out for you... good vibes sent! ;)

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
I have no first-hand knowledge of this, so I am only trying to piece together what few things I hear.

I am under the impression that the cars are now coming from the factory with the new MSRP on them regardless of when the order went to 1100.

It is also my understanding that a dealer can get a code from their regional (what were they called?) for each order which qualifies for price protection. They put this code in their "system" and then GM charges them the old price for the car.

I wonder if some shady dealers would like to get the code, enter it in the system, pay GM the old price, but charge you the new price on the sticker. Cha-ching! They just increased their profit!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, hopefully a step in the right direction: I just got off the phone with Chevy Customer Care and they were completely on my side. They said any orders placed in the customer's name before 3/3/2014 should be price protected. They told me to tell the dealership to contact their "Dealer Business Center" if they were having issues getting the correct invoice/MSRP.

I couldn't get a hold of them just now, but I left a message and sent an e-mail with those instructions, so we'll see what happens next.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, good news for me, they called the Dealer Business Center and figured everything out. Not sure why they didn't know ahead of time, but I've apparently fixed this for the other Corvette that arrived on the same truck and the two due in next month. So that's the key, I'll update the original post.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yup.
I was told that if you ordered before 3-3-2014, you were price protected. My dealer has confirmed it for me as well.

They should honor the old price.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Glad things were corrected. Kind of surprises me we know more than some of the dealers though.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Glad things were corrected. Kind of surprises me we know more than some of the dealers though.
Some dealers will know and offer the correct, protected price.

Some will not know, and ask for the new price.

Some will know, yet may try to play dumb just to see if they can get even more money.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My salesman seemed to genuinely not know and was grateful I had done the research that will now benefit the other Stingrays (and their buyers) he has coming in from that gap period. I don't know the sales manager though (who was the one initially holding firm on the higher msrp), he could have been playing dumb and I just blew over his house of cards.

Went in and signed the paperwork this evening! Looked it over and took a short drive through the parking lot. Will be picking up for real on Wednesday when the weather is better! Can't wait!

·
Registered
145 Posts
My salesman seemed to genuinely not know and was grateful I had done the research that will now benefit the other Stingrays (and their buyers) he has coming in from that gap period. I don't know the sales manager though (who was the one initially holding firm on the higher msrp), he could have been playing dumb and I just blew over his house of cards.

Went in and signed the paperwork this evening! Looked it over and took a short drive through the parking lot. Will be picking up for real on Wednesday when the weather is better! Can't wait!
Congratulations and I would say you handled it well. Find some honey do things for the next two days cause you won't sleep a wink!...LOL

Kurt

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha I know! Fortunately I have a fairly packed schedule until then. But I waited over three months and now I'm making myself wait two more days :eek: Torture!

·
Registered
119 Posts
price increase

Hi everyone My car was delivered 4/ 7 with price increase on sticker.Order was accepted by gm 2/20/14.I went to dealer and was told that they had apply to gm for the increase since my was a retail sold order.I was told they were 99% sure I would get back the increase I had to pay before they would release the car to me.I wonder if anyone had the same problem I had. thanks

·
18,670 Posts
Post # 1 of this thread, as edited, describes exactly what you dealer needs to do -- takes a phone call to get this resolved without your having to pay more to get it out the door -- though it might take one extra day to make this happen.

I strongly recommend you do not pay more now, with your dealer promising to reimburse you later.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Post # 1 of this thread, as edited, describes exactly what you dealer needs to do -- takes a phone call to get this resolved without your having to pay more to get it out the door -- though it might take one extra day to make this happen.

I strongly recommend you do not pay more now, with your dealer promising to reimburse you later.
Somewhat sad that the buyer needs to instruct the dealer on GM procedures. The term "lazy" or "shady" comes to mind. This IS NOT a Corvette only process, they have used it on every price increase they have had since they became a dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked up my car Thursday. The sales guy agreed to change the sticker price to the pre-increase number after I pointed it out. The Finance manager at the dealership tried to fight it at first. In the end they had to make the number work for me.

crystal red metallic 2LT Z51 kalahari interior black wheels performance exhaust coupe

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Looking at the back of the Chevrolet purchase contract, we find this info:

5. Change in Price. Under certain circumstances, the price of a new vehicle ordered by Dealer and all accessories may increased by the Manufacturer after such goods have been ordered. Accordingly, Dealer reserves the right to increase the price of the vehicle prior to delivery in the event of such price increase by the Manufacturer. If Dealer increases the price, Dealer, at its option, may allow Purchaser to cancel this contract.

I'm not a lawyer, but the language seems clear.

As has already been pointed out in the 1st post of this thread, Chevy Customer care has apparently resolved this issue in favor of the Buyer. Given current Chevrolet recall challenges, this seems prudent.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Looking at the back of the Chevrolet purchase contract, we find this info:

5. Change in Price. Under certain circumstances, the price of a new vehicle ordered by Dealer and all accessories may increased by the Manufacturer after such goods have been ordered. Accordingly, Dealer reserves the right to increase the price of the vehicle prior to delivery in the event of such price increase by the Manufacturer. If Dealer increases the price, Dealer, at its option, may allow Purchaser to cancel this contract.

I'm not a lawyer, but the language seems clear.

As has already been pointed out in the 1st post of this thread, Chevy Customer care has apparently resolved this issue in favor of the Buyer. Given current Chevrolet recall challenges, this seems prudent.
It really isn't chevy customer care. The term is price protection and it's standard in the industry for customer ordered cars. I've had the same experience with Chrysler and Ford. Now, if the car was ordered for dealer stock then no price protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

1 - 20 of 29 Posts