Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I noticed in the right light yesterday that my rear side panels have a dent/crevice reflection in the paint above the red reflector. Almost identical on each side of car. You have to look at it with light passing over it. In addition I have a index finger looking (length width) dip in the paint on rear hatch under window. Looks like a darker shadier area that can be seen at the right angle and light as well.

I have a black stingray btw. Ill try and get some pics but it is tough with a phone since it focuses on my reflection rather than the mark on car. But I will whip out my other more profesh camera.

Any people notice these things?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Hey Guys,
I noticed in the right light yesterday that my rear side panels have a dent/crevice reflection in the paint above the red reflector. Almost identical on each side of car. You have to look at it with light passing over it. In addition I have a index finger looking (length width) dip in the paint on rear hatch under window. Looks like a darker shadier area that can be seen at the right angle and light as well.

I have a black stingray btw. Ill try and get some pics but it is tough with a phone since it focuses on my reflection rather than the mark on car. But I will whip out my other more profesh camera.

Any people notice these things?
Yep, there are a number of areas where you can see print through of the composite surface, the doors are typically the worst. Most are only visible at acute angles to the light. Just one of the joys of owning a car with composite body panels.

BTW, the basic colors without much or any metallic content seem to show it more than others.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Mark; What do you mean?
Print through is probably not the correct term but the concept is that imperfections in the panel layup can be seen under certain conditions and proper lighting regardless how good the paint layer is. Most of them are virtually impossible for me to photograph with the cameras I own. But having looked closely at well over 100 C7's since last October I've seen them on every one so I have to conclude it's simply an artifact of the process used make the panels. I could even point the out on the pre production, hand finished Z06 I saw last January at the Rolex.

On the flip side, I have looked at cars who's owners see no imperfections and I've been able to find them. In deference to the owners I have never said anything, it's not my place to point out flaws in someone else's pride and joy.

I pretty sure I only see them because I spent a large portion of my misspent youth around boat makers, they taught me a lot about layup schedules, mold issues and how to design and build panels that minimize these artifacts. Of course I am nothing more than an amateur in this space and don't pretend to be anything more.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
391 Posts
You hit the nail on the head.You know what to look for.When I bought my C7 the salesman asked me to look over it.I did and didn't find nothing wrong.Went and had it Xpeled and the person that did the xpel showed me A spot in the paint that was A factory mishap.
It was small,he tried to fix it.Just to go back,I didn't see it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts