Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that this topic has been discussion a million times over but that's the problem. Trying to find info that's not watered down.

A local "supposed" high end car care centre (F1 in Windsor) uses 3M wrap. I saw a Maserati with it and it only went part way up fenders and hood and looked terrible. I couldn't tell the mirrors were done (body panel edge to edge of course). Needless to say they can do the "entire" hood or car for that matter.

Thoughts? Better products (not a do it yourself) to make sure the installer uses vs 3M

Can you clay bar and treat this stuff like normal paint/clear coat.

Do dings in the 3m look worse than actual chips etc.

Is cleaning it (i.e. bugs) harder or easier.

Thanks team

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have suntek also Xpel is really good. I have the whole front of the car done as well as the leading edge on the roof. After you get your protection done put on some cquartz UK or extra protection it is a great product.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey Ninja,

Don't worry - this is a very important topic so it's worth discussing.

I spoke to a local paint protection installer here in Charleston, SC and he is certified to install 3M, XPEL, and LLumar. Of all three brands he really dislikes 3M because it tends to turn yellow over time. He told me that 3M very recently released a new version of their film so it may now be problem-free.... but he told me that he hasn't had enough experience with the new version to know if it has significantly improved.

XPEL is the all-around favorite and crowd-pleaser. It comes with a 10 year warranty and everyone (including my local installer) says it's a great product.

LLumar is actually what my local installer recommends because it's just as good as XPEL and it's cheaper. It comes with a 5 year warranty.

Hope that helps,

Josh

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for those replies both of you.
I will do some research on those 3 brands. Certainly I only want it done once and done right.
I appreciate your time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I went back to the place and here if they didn't just get their first box of Xpel and are doing one of their own cars in it this week. I am due in there next week to have the power sot-n-sho installed and will see how it looks compared.
One thing I have noticed is that the vette has a front panel that from bumper to base of hood is IDEAL for covering with wrap. It is one big (yet small) panel that can be covered edge to edge without that unsightly line running across the hood and fenders.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ninja

You may find this link of interest. Test of durability of PPF (3M, Avery, KPMF, ORAFOL, XPEL) - Paint Protection Film, Clear Bra Forum - TintDude Forum

It's by a Russian installer that did his own test of as many films as he could get his hands on. I think he did a fairly thorough job of analyzing the impact benefit of each film, by using the same sample pieces of painted metal and using a pellet gun to be his controlled impact at varying distances.

From the results it looks like Xpel Ultimate & CCL Nano Fusion were the winners ( there is another Helix which I've not seen over here ).

Hope this helps.

I've just got quotes on doing Xpel on my C7, already have a couple of nicks in the front bumper, and the wife is not happy about that!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ninja

You may find this link of interest. Test of durability of PPF (3M, Avery, KPMF, ORAFOL, XPEL) - Paint Protection Film, Clear Bra Forum - TintDude Forum

It's by a Russian installer that did his own test of as many films as he could get his hands on. I think he did a fairly thorough job of analyzing the impact benefit of each film, by using the same sample pieces of painted metal and using a pellet gun to be his controlled impact at varying distances.

From the results it looks like Xpel Ultimate & CCL Nano Fusion were the winners ( there is another Helix which I've not seen over here ).

Hope this helps.

I've just got quotes on doing Xpel on my C7, already have a couple of nicks in the front bumper, and the wife is not happy about that!
Thanks very much SmackAirport (fly much?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts