Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Depends on what processes were done, and what type of sealant was used.

When you're ready to do it over again, follow Glen E's system for a great look and protection

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
It was done at the dealer. I thought it would last for the life of the car.
IMHO there is no such thing as a permanent paint protection chemical, if there was the factory would apply it.

Dealer applied "paint protection" is a scam, run, do not walk away from anyone trying to sell this to you.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I won't get into trade names because of the approved/supporting vendor issue, but I have worked with a company that has supplied permanent paint coating to DOD contractors that manufacture aerospace products. Trust me, the surface of a fighter jet and its components such as missles take a lot more abuse than your car ever will. Many of these contractors/vendors have ventured into commercial products to compensate for declining DOD contracts. One such item is a Polytetrafluoroethylene (teflon) based sealant that is available for auto paint. After seeing the results of the sealant on two of my friends cars, one of which is coming up on 5 years, I decided to have it applied to my wife's Lexus. I figured if it lasts like the teflon based coatings in frying pans, it should do OK on a garaged car.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
NightRaceRick, I would love to hear more details. Would you please send a PM to me?

Reactions: NightRaceRick

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wax will attract dust. I have put blackfire crystal sealer on my car I live near a dirt road and found a lot less dust on my car and looks every bit as shiny

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I don't see the reason to do all the PM crap about a paint sealant, we don't have any paint sealant vendors so have at it. If we can't talk openly about products like this we greatly diminish the value of this forum and that's not what any vendor would want.

·
Registered
952 Posts
In my opinion from personal experience, dealer applications are crap and this was verified by the guy that did a Cquartz job on a friend's car. Cquartz (product not vendor) to me is the best I have seen in over 55 years of owning and caring for cars, and I have tried everything.

Reactions: glen e

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Sounds good Mark, I just joined the Stingray Forum two days after ordering mine 2 months ago, and after seeing the Aftermarket Grill thread where there was discussion about approved supplier/vendor postings from senior members, I didn't want to poke the bear with an inapproiate post.
Here's the link to the company site. Worked with these people when I was in QA in the aerospace industry and trust their products 100%. Had the wife's Lexus sealed with their TST 5000 at Bobby Rahal Lexus in Mechanicsburg PA. Her's is the "whiter" shade of the two whites Lexus offers and is blinding in sunlight, so I wasn't concerned about the gloss factor. This car will endure WV winters, and my main concern is durability. I have never seen this sealant on a dark color, and my NRB Stingray will not see a snowflake, so I am not going to go this direction, instead, will be going the Opti or CQuartz route on her.

Total Systems Technology Company Information and Contact

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
In my opinion from personal experience, dealer applications are crap and this was verified by the guy that did a Cquartz job on a friend's car. Cquartz (product not vendor) to me is the best I have seen in over 55 years of owning and caring for cars, and I have tried everything.
I'm not sure we can put a blanket description on dealer applications. I wouldn't let a wash jockey at the local Kia dealer touch my car with a buffer, but there are excellent products out there, that when applied by a trained/certified technician with the proper tools and environment, will turn out great. I've seen/experienced it first hand and have had a couple of decades experience with finish protection. I'm not trying to come off as a being an except because I'm not, just saying that, like anything, there are good products and bad products, and there are meticulous qualified technicians and there are guys that are just collecting a paycheck. You just have to do your homework

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
there are many coatings out there that are great that are NOT the darlings of the detailers, this certainly could be one of them. But there is another side to coating and that is the talent and skill to apply them. Once you see a coating go on wrong (like I have done ) you realize it's not a simple thing, it's easy to leave a smear that must come off with polish and some skill with a machine like an orbital or sometimes even a rotary. I like to learn, so I did CquartzUK, the car is now perfect but a whole door had to be polished out for an hour to get it off so I could reapply the right way. It's a bit like painting - in that it's easy to smear, like a run in paint. So the problem with some of the car dealers is when they apply a good coating, they use a unskilled detail guy that slaps it on like windex. The detailers that put on Cquartz finest or Opti coat pro have gone to school for it, it's a learned skill, and why it costs you a lot.

if any of you are being sold a "paint protection package" at the time of sale. ask them if it's a COATING or a SEALANT.. If the word polymer comes into the description, turn it down, as sealants are all over the place you can put on EASILY for $20....

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to come off like a smart ass, I'm sure there are coatings out there that can claim long term protection but in 40 years of working with car dealers I have only met two or three that had a true detailing operation, most were high end operations, none were Chevy dealers. And, those services were usually sold through the service department, not by the F&I guy trying to close add-on deals. 99 times out of 100 the "sealant" programs sold through the F&I department are pure profit centers with close to a 1000% markup. They are applied by the same guys that prep the car using the same tools with no surface prep.

I also believe most of these "sealants" do not provide a quality look. They may seal and bead water for a couple years but the finish just doesn't have that detailed, deep finish most here desire and in the case of most of the dealer applied finishes, they are literally sealing in the paint imperfections. Of course this is purely a personal opinion, your mileage may vary. ;)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to come off like a smart ass, I'm sure there are coatings out there that can claim long term protection but in 40 years of working with car dealers I have only met two or three that had a true detailing operation, most were high end operations, none were Chevy dealers. And, those services were usually sold through the service department, not by the F&I guy trying to close add-on deals. 99 times out of 100 the "sealant" programs sold through the F&I department are pure profit centers with close to a 1000% markup. They are applied by the same guys that prep the car using the same tools with no surface prep.

I also believe most of these "sealants" do not provide a quality look. They may seal and bead water for a couple years but the finish just doesn't have that detailed, deep finish most here desire and in the case of most of the dealer applied finishes, they are literally sealing in the paint imperfections. Of course this is purely a personal opinion, your mileage may vary. ;)
Didn't think you were being a smart ass, okay, maybe a little j/k :D I think it all comes down to your goal for your finish and doing your homework. Are you trying to preserve a finish that is going to be subjected to some harsh conditions, or do you want the glossiest finish possible for cruising at your leisure? We have cars that fit each situation, and really, like you said, most on this board are all about the shine.

Decide what you want and research it. Before going ahead the wife's Lexus, I asked that the process be thoroughly explained to me and to be shown where and how it would be done. I learned that the car would be prepped starting with 2 washes, once with fallout remover and once with a degreaser/cleaner. I learned that paint corrections would be made if necessary. I learned that the sealant would be applied only by a factory trained technician (the guy I was talking to). I learned that the sealer would be heated to above 120 degrees to expand the crystalline Teflon molecules and mechanically bond to the paint. I learned that the sealer met DOD Salt Spray test standards, and I was also familiar with this company via work.

Permanent finish sealants have been around for years, it's just that we are now seeing them show up in the auto industry. DOD contractors and other companies are expanding into commercial areas, and why not? They already have extensive experience in sealants, chemists on staff, test facilities, logistics systems in place, etc., etc.

Like you said, there's a lot of crap out there. You owe it to your high end car to make an informed decision.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
just use Meguire's Quick Detailer once in a while, or after a waterless wash that dulls the appearance. My sealant lasts about 6 months.
Just a suggestion for all those who use Meguires or Mothers QD...try some Adams.

I ran out of Adams and got some Meguires Ultimate detail to hold me over while I waited for more Adams to arrive via mail. Simply no comparison. The best way for me to describe is, the lubricity of Adams is 3-4X greater.

I also tried the Mothers that came with their clay bar kit. Not bad, but didn't hold a candle to Adams.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Meg's quik detailer is a bit weak, their quik wax is better, but the higher end lines like Adams, blackfire and Wolfgang, just last longer but you pay for it too....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts