Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the paperwork dealer put together for my sale, I noticed they tacked on a 200 dollar 'paperwork processing fee'. Is anybody else paying this? I'm getting the vehicle title/tags myself, as it is a museum delivery. Kind of annoying they want to charge me 200 bucks considering I'm paying full sticker price. Has anyone gotten around this?:mad:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Looking at the paperwork dealer put together for my sale, I noticed they tacked on a 200 dollar 'paperwork processing fee'. Is anybody else paying this? I'm getting the vehicle title/tags myself, as it is a museum delivery. Kind of annoying they want to charge me 200 bucks considering I'm paying full sticker price. Has anyone gotten around this?:mad:
Yes those are junk fees I had those when I originally ordered from kerbeck it came out to some $700 in fees...... I walked and went with MacMulkin, rest is history

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Ragtop, who's your dealer? Some states have pretty stupid laws regarding dealer fees.

In Florida, if a dealer charges anyone a fee they must charge everyone the same fee. This was originally put in place by bleeding heart consumer protection groups to prevent the practice of one person getting charged $50 and another $500. The unintended consequence is once a dealer starts charging the fee's they can't stop without going through a lot of legal wrangling with the state.

Most people who are decent negotiators, when dealing with a vehicle that's not in short supply, can get the fee mitigated by having the top line price reduced by the amount of the dealer fees. For people using supplier or employee programs, those fees are pre-negotiated ($75 for GMS and Supplier). The GMS and Supplier programs state "$75 unless local law requires a different amount". Here in FL the dealer can drop their fee to the lower GMS amount without running afoul of the law. Many dealers don't and charge some ridiculous fees, even to program participants. I don't frequent those dealerships. In other states dealers can't drop to the $75 fee due to state laws. I believe Michigan is one of those states but their documentation fees are capped at $200.

For me, since I'm getting a Z51 ordered to my specs at a $6000 discount (Supplier Price), paying $200 to Les Stanford vs. the $75 program fee is just fine.

When I purchased my Silverado from Jon Hall here in Daytona they crossed out the $699 "additional dealer fee" and typed in $75 as per the Supplier Pricing guidelines but Silverado's are a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
827 Posts
"Has anyone gotten around this?"

Before I answer your question, I just what to say after retiring, I worked selling cars for a short time and I learned a lot about car sells from people with over 40 years experience in the business. Fortunately, the dealership where I worked did not play games. In fact my first day on the job, the owner and I were having small talk and as he was leaving he turned and said, "I have one very important piece of advance...Don't ever lie to a customer and I mean never under any circumstances do you lie to a customer." And it's this dealership where I have my C7 on order.

Now to answer your question. Yeah...In the car sells world, it's called "slamming". You got slammed. How you get around it is you refuse to pay it and have them remove it from the bill of sale. If they refuse, just tell them they brought the car back for $200 and you walk. Another way some dealers will squeeze more money from you is if you're letting them process the financing of your loan, be it a bank, credit union, etc., they will bump the interest rate on your car loan. What will happen is when they run your credit and get you approved at 2%, they'll bump it to 2.25%. Then they sell it to you like you just got this fantastic awesome rate. The dealer gets the .25%. This is easy when a buyer hasn't done their homework and has no idea what interest rate they qualify for.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
"Has anyone gotten around this?"

How you get around it is you refuse to pay it and have them remove it from the bill of sale. If they refuse, just tell them they brought the car back for $200 and you walk.
Not that easy in FL, state law requires them to charge it. It's a stupid law, but it's the law here. What you said works on a car that's not in high demand, even with that law, it won't work with a C7. The dealership will more than likely let you walk because they believe there's someone else willing to pay it right behind you and with less than a 7 day supply on hand they are right.

IMHO a $200 doc fee, if they are processing all the paperwork, doing your tags, etc. is fine, especially if they are up front with you about the fee and don't sprig it on you at the closing desk. It's the $700 - $1000 fees I've seen around FL that make me sick.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Not that easy in FL, state law requires them to charge it. It's a stupid law, but it's the law here. What you said works on a car that's not in high demand, even with that law, it won't work with a C7. The dealership will more than likely let you walk because they believe there's someone else willing to pay it right behind you and with less than a 7 day supply on hand they are right.

IMHO a $200 doc fee, if they are processing all the paperwork, doing your tags, etc. is fine, especially if they are up front with you about the fee and don't sprig it on you at the closing desk. It's the $700 - $1000 fees I've seen around FL that make me sick.

I guess it all depends on the person and how patient they are. You're absolutely right but I know if I were the salesman I wouldn't let the buyer walk. That's a cardinal sin because I may not be the salesman who gets the next sale on this car so I'm the salesman who loses the commission on a $70,000 car. That's probably like having $5,000 or more in the hand and letting it go for $200? I'd be in with sales manager begging or I'd pay the $200 myself. IMO, I wouldn't buy a car from a dealer who is slamming me with processing fees. The car is in high demand but I'm patient and I can wait.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I guess it all depends on the person and how patient they are. You're absolutely right but I know if I were the salesman I wouldn't let the buyer walk. That's a cardinal sin because I may not be the salesman who gets the next sale on this car so I'm the salesman who loses the commission on a $70,000 car. That's probably like having $5,000 or more in the hand and letting it go for $200? I'd be in with sales manager begging or I'd pay the $200 myself. IMO, I wouldn't buy a car from a dealer who is slamming me with processing fees. The car is in high demand but I'm patient and I can wait.
Oh, I agree, I won't pay outrageous fees either. I'm a cheapskate, that's why I waited until the Supplier program was opened up before I even entertained putting in an order.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes those are junk fees I had those when I originally ordered from kerbeck it came out to some $700 in fees...... I walked and went with MacMulkin, rest is history
I did the same thing with Kerbeck. I walked out of the show room and went to McMulkin. Their Mantra was that " $700 keeps the lights on"when they were charging full price for the car?? They lost my order in a flash.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 200 dollar fee is through Criswell Chevrolet in MD. No idea if they have dealer fee laws. Not financing, paying cash that I've been saving ever since I first wanted a Saturn Sky (which turned into wanting a Camaro when Saturn went under, then finally a Corvette after my buddy sold me on idea). Knowing how long it took to save up this money, really irks me they want 200 bucks to print out a bill of sale. I originally placed order in November. I know if I threaten to walk, they can sell my car in a heartbeat, as it is a z51 convertible with all the good stuff. I know 200 is not a whole lot, but it would pay for most of the indoor cover I want to get.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Here's a link to a well written article on the topic.

http://blog.truecar.com/2011/07/26/which-additional-fees-should-i-pay-at-the-dealership-what-is-the-doc-fee/

BTW, the dealer does a lot more than print out the bill of sale, from a paperwork perspective and when they are selling the average car with a very thin margin a fee between $100-$200 is reasonable, in my mind. But when they are making over $8000 on a sale the work involved to close the deal is simply part of the costs to do business, known as COGS (cost of goods sold) and adding any doc fees rubs me the wrong way.

However, as noted in the article, if dealers start adjusting those fees on a sale by sale basis they expose themselves to law suits. Knowing that perhaps asking Mike to throw in the car cover you want into the deal might be a better way of defraying the costs.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Here's a link to a well written article on the topic.

Which Additional Fees Should I Pay at the Dealership? What is The Doc Fee?

BTW, the dealer does a lot more than print out the bill of sale, from a paperwork perspective and when they are selling the average car with a very thin margin a fee between $100-$200 is reasonable, in my mind. But when they are making over $8000 on a sale the work involved to close the deal is simply part of the costs to do business, known as COGS (cost of goods sold) and adding any doc fees rubs me the wrong way.

However, as noted in the article, if dealers start adjusting those fees on a sale by sale basis they expose themselves to law suits. Knowing that perhaps asking Mike to throw in the car cover you want into the deal might be a better way of defraying the costs.

An excellent suggestion. Request something of = to/or > in value. (I couldn't find the "greater or equal to" math sign so I improvised):p

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark, that's exactly what I plan to do when I call Mike.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Yeah, Mark always comes up with these great ideas. The guy is a wealth of knowledge!

·
18,667 Posts
For those joining this thread in the middle, and good news is always worth repeating, our forum's dealer supporting vendor, MacMulkin charges no, $0.00, documentation fee.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I can't tell you over the years how many times I was sitting in a dealer mgmt meeting and the owner was screaming:

"I dont care how you guys structure the deal, but nobody screws with my dealer fee"

LOL

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike called me, said he can't do anything to reduce this fee. Asked if he could throw in cover, said no, that it would take a large hunk out of his commission. Good to provide that MacMulkin info to other members. Wasn't aware of that when I placed order. I do not want to start order from scratch. I've waited so long already. This will be my first new car that I've had zero bargaining leverage with.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Mike called me, said he can't do anything to reduce this fee. Asked if he could throw in cover, said no, that it would take a large hunk out of his commission. Good to provide that MacMulkin info to other members. Wasn't aware of that when I placed order. I do not want to start order from scratch. I've waited so long already. This will be my first new car that I've had zero bargaining leverage with.
How about some free oil changes?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I can't tell you over the years how many times I was sitting in a dealer mgmt meeting and the owner was screaming:

"I dont care how you guys structure the deal, but nobody screws with my dealer fee"

LOL
That's because it's pure profit. Salesman sees no commission on the dealer fees.

Here in FL they are a profit center unto themselves with some dealers charging as much as $1000.

I went to 3 jeep dealers looking for a grand Cherokee when they came out in 2011. 2 wanted $700 in fees even though the supplier program expressly forbid it. Ended up buying at the one who honored the program terms.

MacMulkin is the only large volume dealer not charging fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
755 Posts
In Vancouver BC Canada most dealers charge a $560.00 processing fee as well as the legislated ones by the government. You can refuse to pay and they will bring it down if you do but they depend on most buyers being ignorant and paying. People are excited to get their new vehicle and just pay the final price so they can get the hell out of the dealership and get driving the ride. There is legal presidence to the fact that it is an unenforcable fee.

Where is my new Vette? haha!! Still waiting since Sept/13.........Z51,3LT,CG/two tone grey/Jet Blk int.,Blk Wheels/Blk Calipers. CF Mirriors & Spoiler, CF dual stripes, CF accessories through out., Carbon Fiber int. trim & Comp Seats, Micro inserts and upper trim. Should be kind of slinky me thinks. I'm still waiting because it is rumored the dealer played roulette with the order list in Sept for his friends. hmmmmm. Good thing Vettes are hard to come by in Canada compared to the states other wise I would have been gone.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
That's because it's pure profit. Salesman sees no commission on the dealer fees.

Here in FL they are a profit center unto themselves with some dealers charging as much as $1000.

I went to 3 jeep dealers looking for a grand Cherokee when they came out in 2011. 2 wanted $700 in fees even though the supplier program expressly forbid it. Ended up buying at the one who honored the program terms.

MacMulkin is the only large volume dealer not charging fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
10 4... They be came popular with the rise of the internet car sites that showed invoice pricing. Essentially owners said "ok, you want to pay invoice? Well do that but now there is a doc fee"...6 of one, etc

1 - 20 of 32 Posts