Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had a problem with parking brake not releasing? It has happened to me a few times. My driveway is on an incline and some times I park there instead of pulling into garage, for a quick run inside or like yesterday afternoon, to give her a bath. When I was finished, I went to pull into garage, and it felt like I had to really step on the gas, the parking brake was NOT lit on the dash. Then it stalled (7 speed), I reapplied the p brake and started again, same thing, so I figured maybe I should let it roll back a little and try again. It wouldn't go!!! Finally, I put in reverse and it backed fine, but when I put it in first it just didn't want to go. Eventually it did, but this is the 2nd or 3rd time, but the other times it was on level ground.

Barb
AW, jet black int., 2LT, manual, carbon flash hood stinger stripe & spoiler, exposed carbon fiber roof panel, red calipers, chrome 5 spoke, performance exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will pay more attention next time it happens, but this is what is stated in the manual:

Hill Start Assist (HSA)
HSA is an automatic feature activated when the vehicle is stopped on a grade. This feature is designed to prevent the vehicle from rolling, either forward or rearward, during vehicle drive off. During the transition from releasing the brake pedal to accelerating to drive off on a grade, HSA holds the braking pressure to prevent rolling. HSA will not activate if the vehicle is in a drive gear and facing downhill or if the vehicle is facing uphill and in R (Reverse).

I had it in gear, both, in 1st and in reverse then to 1st again. Hmmm

Barb
AW, jet black int., 2LT, manual, carbon flash hood stinger stripe & spoiler, exposed carbon fiber roof panel, red calipers, chrome 5 spoke, performance exhaust.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
One thing you can try, if there's nothing behind you:

Apply brake
Remove parking brake
Depress clutch
Put it in 1st
Release brake but leave the clutch depressed

The car should roll backwards after a few seconds, that's the hill hold releasing. If it doesn't roll try giving the car some gas, still leaving the clutch depressed. If it rolls that would pretty much eliminates your concern that the parking brake isn't releasing fully. If it never rolls backwards then a trip to the dealer is in order (and I hope they have an incline to test it on).

There are various interpretations of how HSA works. The one I've seen in print multiple times says it holds the car for 2 - 3 seconds OR until the gas peddle is depressed. If you are slipping the clutch without apply much if any gas then that may be why it's not releasing and you stall.

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
Another possibility particularly if you are washing your Vette after driving it, is that the pads have temporarily seized as the water evaporated.

Reactions: mjw930

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! This has all been very helpful! It is def the HSA, I purposely tried it again today. I parked in the driveway to admire the beauty, she got window tint today, it did not roll back. I really had to give it gas to get her going but once she was in the garage and level it was better. It does seem that the HSA is activated even on the slightest incline. I will be paying close attention and relay if there are any other issues.

I still can't believe I own a brand new Corvette Stingray! Such a beauty!

Barb

Reactions: Dennis and Tom0021
1 - 6 of 6 Posts