Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to buy a new battery for my 2016. Does anyone know the exact OEM Delco part number for a C7 battery? Did a google search no luck..Thanks.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, current '16 Z06
9,118 Posts
Ready to buy a new battery for my 2016. Does anyone know the exact OEM Delco part number for a C7 battery? Did a google search no luck..Thanks.
I'm not sure batteries are given a specific part number to reorder the exact same type years after. I think if you install any like Delco that fits the vehicle would work fine. If looking for originality with respect to batteries, name yes, part #???

Owner's manual says to refer to replacement number on original battery label when a new battery is needed. Maybe that may help.

·
Administrator
15,773 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Don't have a part # for you but if you go the dealer they should have the Delco battery for your 2016. I replaced mine at the dealership a few months ago. Delco Gold series. Paid $165. And $25 to install it. 42 month battery i believe and full replacement first 36 months i seem to remember.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
I realize that the original poster wants the same part number as what was originally delivered in the car, but there are other batteries (including some other ones from AC Delco) which are better. The battery used by the factory in Bowling Green barely gets through the three year warranty period before it dies. It is a cheap part used to save money when producing the Corvettes. I chose a different battery instead of going with that cheap thing for the replacement.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Rodney full of optimism as usual? My 2015 factory battery is still going strong.

Reactions: Henry427

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I just had my battery replaced as well with a Delco 48 month (196.87 installed). The original was 5+ years old and I figured it was on borrowed time. 88866162 is the part # on the dealership invoice.

Reactions: 15snow-ray

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, current '16 Z06
9,118 Posts
I just had my battery replaced as well with a Delco 48 month (196.87 installed). The original was 5+ years old and I figured it was on borrowed time. 88866162 is the part # on the dealership invoice.
I'm still on my original, almost 5 years now, I know I'm tempting fate, first sign of beginning failure, I'll cave.
The one thing I've been doing the last couple years, I just keep the battery maintainer on it all the time, getting those quick crank startups all the time. Maybe it's helping longevity, or maybe not, I'll find out one day.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Had mine replaced in April after four years. Slow cranking. The part number was different as they explained beforehand that they were no longer replacing batteries with the original OEM battery because it had a shorter life (36 month warranty). The one I got was a Delco gold with a 42 month warranty. Its P/N was 88865245 and was a 48PG. When I looked up that part number on various GM parts sites, it showed my battery but says the part is now discontinued and didn't show a replacement part number. So maybe they knew that and were just trying to get rid of obsolete inventory. Interestingly when I looked up the part number noted by several others above (88866162), I get no such number exists. 0 results. So maybe we need some better info on new batteries available from Delco. --Bob

Reactions: Norm and Henry427

·
Administrator
15,773 Posts
It was much more easy to replace my bat in my C6.
It really isn't that difficult. See my post #3 above. It really only takes about 30 minutes (even with being very careful and methodical).

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Rodney full of optimism as usual? My 2015 factory battery is still going strong.
I am just being a realist, as usual. The vast majority of people who have posted on this subject have had to replace theirs during their third year.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I think we can all agree no two owners are going to get the same usage out of the same battery. Everyone is going to be different with a bunch of variables affecting the length of time we will get out of them,.
I think we should be able to agree however it is much better to replace early as to wait as they symptoms of a declining battery in our computer heavy vehicles can be immediate and affect many vehicle operations even before the car won't start.

JMO

·
Registered
3 Posts
I realize that the original poster wants the same part number as what was originally delivered in the car, but there are other batteries (including some other ones from AC Delco) which are better. The battery used by the factory in Bowling Green barely gets through the three year warranty period before it dies. It is a cheap part used to save money when producing the Corvettes. I chose a different battery instead of going with that cheap thing for the replacement.
We have a 2014 with its' original battery and it is still going strong. I also have a 2016, still with no issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
48GHR145 is the Delco premium
it's a 48 series battery which means any 48 will fit and work like the original
get a battery tender and plug it in whenever your baby is stored

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm reading some of the posts from other forum members, and there is some mis-information about Corvette batteries. The factory Corvette battery is a Delco Absorbed Glass Mat battery. These are simply called "AGM" batteries. These are the batteries that do not have liquid acid in the cells. They are special batteries because the small amount of moisture provides the current needed without the danger of caustic acid spilling out and damaging your Corvette. GM puts AGM batteries in vehicles that are capable of serious acceleration like the Corvette and the SS Camaro. They also put them in vehicles that are capable of tilting over 30 degrees like serious off road trucks and SUV's. The other thing is, AGM batteries last a long time- like 7 or 8 years vs 3 or 4 years with a conventional battery. However, AGM batteries are not to be charged with a conventional battery charger. It is very important that 15 volts or less is used to charge any AGM battery. Most roll around shop battery chargers put about 17 volts into a battery. If this type of charge is used, you will find that your expensive AGM battery will need replacing in 4 to 6 months. That fellow that said they last 3 years found that out because his AGM died from being over charged. If you have the optional battery charger offered by GM to plug into your Corvette, check the output voltage- it will be under 15 volts. The Battery Tender brand also has AGM specific chargers that put out less than 15 volts. Your GM service department techs know this, and know how to properly charge a dead AGM battery. If someone (usually a uneducated salesman) throws a regular battery charger or one of those battery boosters on a AGM equipped car on the showroom floor, he just ruined a very expensive battery. Our 2007 C-6 was traded in with the original Delco AGM in 2016 working perfectly. Our 2014 C-7 AGM is "only" 7 years old with no signs of needing replacement. Proper and informed maintenance is the key to long battery life.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm reading some of the posts from other forum members, and there is some mis-information about Corvette batteries. The factory Corvette battery is a Delco Absorbed Glass Mat battery. These are simply called "AGM" batteries. These are the batteries that do not have liquid acid in the cells. They are special batteries because the small amount of moisture provides the current needed without the danger of caustic acid spilling out and damaging your Corvette. GM puts AGM batteries in vehicles that are capable of serious acceleration like the Corvette and the SS Camaro. They also put them in vehicles that are capable of tilting over 30 degrees like serious off road trucks and SUV's. The other thing is, AGM batteries last a long time- like 7 or 8 years vs 3 or 4 years with a conventional battery. However, AGM batteries are not to be charged with a conventional battery charger. It is very important that 15 volts or less is used to charge any AGM battery. Most roll around shop battery chargers put about 17 volts into a battery. If this type of charge is used, you will find that your expensive AGM battery will need replacing in 4 to 6 months. That fellow that said they last 3 years found that out because his AGM died from being over charged. If you have the optional battery charger offered by GM to plug into your Corvette, check the output voltage- it will be under 15 volts. The Battery Tender brand also has AGM specific chargers that put out less than 15 volts. Your GM service department techs know this, and know how to properly charge a dead AGM battery. If someone (usually a uneducated salesman) throws a regular battery charger or one of those battery boosters on a AGM equipped car on the showroom floor, he just ruined a very expensive battery. Our 2007 C-6 was traded in with the original Delco AGM in 2016 working perfectly. Our 2014 C-7 AGM is "only" 7 years old with no signs of needing replacement. Proper and informed maintenance is the key to long battery life.
Thanks for the info. I know the battery in my 2013 had the caps to put water in it. It only lasted 2.5 years. Never looked that close yet on my new C7 to see what kind of battery it is. Hope it gets better than 2.5 years.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
575 Posts
Reference this thread about battery life....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts