Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
15,773 Posts
I'm reading some of the posts from other forum members, and there is some mis-information about Corvette batteries. The factory Corvette battery is a Delco Absorbed Glass Mat battery. These are simply called "AGM" batteries. These are the batteries that do not have liquid acid in the cells. They are special batteries because the small amount of moisture provides the current needed without the danger of caustic acid spilling out and damaging your Corvette. GM puts AGM batteries in vehicles that are capable of serious acceleration like the Corvette and the SS Camaro. They also put them in vehicles that are capable of tilting over 30 degrees like serious off road trucks and SUV's. The other thing is, AGM batteries last a long time- like 7 or 8 years vs 3 or 4 years with a conventional battery. However, AGM batteries are not to be charged with a conventional battery charger. It is very important that 15 volts or less is used to charge any AGM battery. Most roll around shop battery chargers put about 17 volts into a battery. If this type of charge is used, you will find that your expensive AGM battery will need replacing in 4 to 6 months. That fellow that said they last 3 years found that out because his AGM died from being over charged. If you have the optional battery charger offered by GM to plug into your Corvette, check the output voltage- it will be under 15 volts. The Battery Tender brand also has AGM specific chargers that put out less than 15 volts. Your GM service department techs know this, and know how to properly charge a dead AGM battery. If someone (usually a uneducated salesman) throws a regular battery charger or one of those battery boosters on a AGM equipped car on the showroom floor, he just ruined a very expensive battery. Our 2007 C-6 was traded in with the original Delco AGM in 2016 working perfectly. Our 2014 C-7 AGM is "only" 7 years old with no signs of needing replacement. Proper and informed maintenance is the key to long battery life.
The original C7s did not come with AGMs, rather maintenance free flooded cell batteries. Also, all CTEK chargers have a specific setting to safely and properly charge and maintain AGM batteries (the 'snowflake' symbol).

·
Registered
7 Posts
My battery in my C6 Z51 was 7 yrs old when I sold it. No problems. Battery in '16 Z06 is 5 yrs old and have no problems. I kept both on battery tender.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I'm reading some of the posts from other forum members, and there is some mis-information about Corvette batteries. The factory Corvette battery is a Delco Absorbed Glass Mat battery. These are simply called "AGM" batteries. These are the batteries that do not have liquid acid in the cells. They are special batteries because the small amount of moisture provides the current needed without the danger of caustic acid spilling out and damaging your Corvette. GM puts AGM batteries in vehicles that are capable of serious acceleration like the Corvette and the SS Camaro. They also put them in vehicles that are capable of tilting over 30 degrees like serious off road trucks and SUV's. The other thing is, AGM batteries last a long time- like 7 or 8 years vs 3 or 4 years with a conventional battery. However, AGM batteries are not to be charged with a conventional battery charger. It is very important that 15 volts or less is used to charge any AGM battery. Most roll around shop battery chargers put about 17 volts into a battery. If this type of charge is used, you will find that your expensive AGM battery will need replacing in 4 to 6 months. That fellow that said they last 3 years found that out because his AGM died from being over charged. If you have the optional battery charger offered by GM to plug into your Corvette, check the output voltage- it will be under 15 volts. The Battery Tender brand also has AGM specific chargers that put out less than 15 volts. Your GM service department techs know this, and know how to properly charge a dead AGM battery. If someone (usually a uneducated salesman) throws a regular battery charger or one of those battery boosters on a AGM equipped car on the showroom floor, he just ruined a very expensive battery. Our 2007 C-6 was traded in with the original Delco AGM in 2016 working perfectly. Our 2014 C-7 AGM is "only" 7 years old with no signs of needing replacement. Proper and informed maintenance is the key to long battery life.
Great info. Thanks for taking the time to explain and post. I didn't realize that all batteries w/o the need to refill were also AGM.

·
Administrator
15,773 Posts
Great info. Thanks for taking the time to explain and post. I didn't realize that all batteries w/o the need to refill were also AGM.
I am certainly not an expert on batteries, but I believe the OEM maintenance free batteries (at least those in the early C7 days) were not AGM at all. They are a different type of flooded battery that happen to be semi-sealed, that is have no typical access to add distilled water.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
The above is not correct. The C7 comes from the factory with a flooded lead acid battery. The OEM part number is 22940819. Here is a picture:

Do you see the icon in the picture above with the trash can with an "X" through it with "Pb" written below? It is just to the right of the "LEAD" "RETURN" "RECYCLE" "Pb" recycling symbol. That means the battery contains lead.

For more proof that this is the original battery (which it is), you can reference https://techlink.mynetworkcontent.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/TechLink-batteries-part-numbers-C-2016-2018.pdf. Here is a screen shot where I have drawn a box around the row for the C7...

Note in the chart above that this is the same 615 CCA battery used in the 2017 and 2018 Chevy Cruze. The GM part number is 88865244. Look that up and you will find that part number is for a 30 month AC Delco PS48 SILVER series battery (not even AC Delco Gold, and not even rated for 36 months). So, I will say it again: GM went for a super-cheap, 30 month, AC Delco SILVER flooded lead acid battery in the C7 from the factory.

For proof, here is a website where that battery was listed for sale. Note in the description it is for (SILVER) not AC Delco Gold. 88865244 - GM Battery. Battery | Wholesale GM Parts Online,

Going further, below is a picture of a replacement battery for sale from another site online, which has the EXACT same part number as what GM puts in the C7 at the factory. Check out the label on the top of the battery. Beside the "48PS" written in gray, see the part number 88865244. Next, check the front label: AC Delco 30 month.

Finally, standard charging voltages for AGM batteries are slightly HIGHER (not lower) than the standard voltage used for flooded lead acid batteries. For one reference, check your CTEK tender manual. During the bulk, absorption, and pulse phases, the AGM setting (snowflake mode) charges with a slightly higher voltage (14.7 V) than the standard setting (car mode) which uses the lower value of 14.4 V. Of course, that is not a huge difference, but, to be technically correct, the nominal charging voltage for an AGM is higher than the nominal charging voltage for a flooded lead acid battery. Now, if you were saying that a lead acid battery can better tolerate a voltage higher than 15 V than a AGM can, that is fine. However, above 15 V isn't nominal for either battery type (I will note that the CTEK uses 15.8 V for the extremely-rarely-used reconditioning cycle, but, again, that isn't nominal for either battery type).

The original C7s did not come with AGMs, rather maintenance free flooded cell batteries. Also, all CTEK chargers have a specific setting to safely and properly charge and maintain AGM batteries (the 'snowflake' symbol).
That is correct.

The last thing I will say is that those few people who have been able to get 4+ years out of the 30 month battery that GM puts in at the factory are lucky. Most people I have read about on this site over the years get slightly over 36 months before it dies. I was one of the people who were not so lucky, as I got about 42 months out of that 30 month battery before it bit the dust. Finally, yes, I have a CTEK MUS 4.3 which I use on my C7, and I never did anything bad to my battery to cause it to have a short life. Hey, I managed to coax 42 months out of that 30 month battery after all...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I never really keep cars long enough to worry about a battery most times. But did keep the C6 over 3 years. It was a 2013 and i bought it used with 19k miles in 2017. Dealer said they replaced the batt so it lasted around 2.6 years. Not sure i will have my C7 out past 3 years as i want to grab a used C8 once prices get back to earth. My Vettes are a DD car so they get drove everyday 4 miles to work. I live in bad heat most of the year in FL as our winters are long gone the last 9 years. Not sure if there is anything one can do to make a batt last longer.

·
Registered
941 Posts
All correct Rodney as far as my car is concerned. My 2016 came with the standard 30 month 48PS battery (Silver) and the dealer said they did not sell those anymore for a Corvette due to short life. The they replaced it with was an AC Delco Gold with I believe a 48 month warranty, but maybe 42. --Bob

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ready to buy a new battery for my 2016. Does anyone know the exact OEM Delco part number for a C7 battery? Did a google search no luck..Thanks.
Hey, take a look at the Optima yellow top battery H6. I replaced my original battery with this because of issues with maintaining settings. Unfortunately I can’t dedicate time and travel to my C7 so it sits in my garage for months. Since switch to the Optima battery zero problems. That being said I also use an Optima yellow top in my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon because of wench; front and rear lighting; air pump and more. Never have an issue since, just saying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Friends, our 2014 C7 was delivered Oct. 30, 2013. It's accumulated 91,650 miles (1694.5 hours; 12407 x 10,000 revolutions). We must be extremely lucky because we've not needed to replace the OE battery. Maybe tomorrow?

The car does see extremely easy use. Over 95% of its miles accumulated on road trips (several of 4,000 to 6,000 miles each). Most of the time it's under a bedsheet in our garage, connected to an old standard Battery Tender.

FWIW, our neighbor got 8 years from the OE battery in his Porsche.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts