Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2018, all new cars sold in the USA will be required to have a rear backup camera. C7s have included a factory backup camera since their introduction in 2014. Chances are there is at least one vehicle in your stable of cars that does not have a backup camera. In many cases the least experienced driver in your family will be driving the car without a backup camera.

Reverse Logic is now stocking and shipping the Pearl RearVision wireless backup system. The system installs in 10 minutes without any cable connections. The system requires an OBD2 diagnostic port and is compatible with cars manufactured since 1996.

The system consists of three primary hardware components, the license plate frame, the OBD2 adapter, and a magnetic cell phone mount. It displays the rear camera image on your iPhone or Android cell phone. The OBD2 adapter generates a WiFi signal that allows the cameras to communicate with your cell phone.

The system does require you to launch the Pearl RearVision app on your phone before an image is displayed. In practice this small inconvenience is not very annoying since you are probably handling your phone to mount it in its dashboard holder when you first enter your car.

Reverse Logic will be demonstrating the system in Building T at the Spring Carlisle Car Show on April 19 thru 23 later this month.

More details are available in the Reverse Logic online catalog.

Pearl RearVision Wireless Backup System

PRVC100US_detail.png

·
Super Moderator
3,340 Posts
Wonder if 2014-2015 C7 owners could use this as a front parking camera?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Technically there is nothing to prevent you from mounting the frame on the front of the car. The display will only work below 10 mph. The manufacturer does not recommend installing the unit in the front, but, they do not offer an explanation as to why front mounting is not a good idea.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Technically there is nothing to prevent you from mounting the frame on the front of the car. The display will only work below 10 mph. The manufacturer does not recommend installing the unit in the front, but, they do not offer an explanation as to why front mounting is not a good idea.
My guess is that they don't have it worked out so the image can be "reverse reversed" to show the front view as it would be viewed?

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Great idea for non camera vehicles built after 96, but it leaves me out of the equation for this option I've never owned a cell phone.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
owc6 hit the nail on the head. I stood behind my car with my phone looking rearward and the image is very confusing, especially if anything is moving. It's not likely that Pearl Auto will add the option to flip the image. Doing so would make it possible to misconfigure the device when mounted in the rear which would be a genuine safety hazard.

My guess is that they don't have it worked out so the image can be "reverse reversed" to show the front view as it would be viewed?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Five years ago I might agree with you. But now there are tons of iPhone 5 cell phones that are no longer used as phones and have been repurposed as video game devices. Parents who upgrade to newer phone models frequently bequeath their older but functional phones to their kids or grandkids. You can pick up one of these used units to use as the display screen. It is not necessary to have the cellular service enabled to use the phone with the Pearl RearVision. You would have to be close enough to a WiFi signal to download the Pearl app. And occasionally, you would have to be close enough to a WiFi signal while parked in your car in order to update the firmware in the OBD2 adapter and RearVision license plate frame.

Great idea for non camera vehicles built after 96, but it leaves me out of the equation for this option I've never owned a cell phone.

SF
Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts