Stingray Corvette Forum banner
17K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Norm 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed one on their C7 ?

Results?

I was a skeptic until I installed one in my 2017 F-150 Lariat back when I first bought it. I was completely surprised at the results on my truck (Coyote 5.0L). It's Bluetooth and there’s an app you install on your phone that lets you adjust the throttle to 4 different main modes: Eco, City, Sport, and Sport+ Then, in each of those modes you can incrementally dial it in another four increments upward or downward in that mode. It's a big difference on my truck but I'm curious if anyone has tried it on their C7? I just bought one for my C7 and I’m going to give it a try. I agree with everyone, the C7 has a great deal of off the line response already and I can’t imagine improving it. I've posted a couple photos below so you get an idea of what it and the App look like. I'll post some install pics after I install it and follow up with some comments on my experience. My car has the PDR so once I get it set up I will try a couple of 0-60 runs with it off and again with it on in sport mode and see what sort of difference it makes if any.

Again, if anyone has done it to their C7 please post a comment, I'd like to hear about anyone elses experience.

PHOTOS:

This is the new one for the C7. It comes with a mount and all that so you can use the buttons right on the unit to change the settings but since it's bluetooth now, I just tuck and zip tie it up under the dash and use the APP to control it. I'm planning on doing the same thing with the C7 install.

Supercar Red Vehicle Automotive design Sports car

Technology Electronic device Electronics Gadget

This is the App I control the one in my F150 with. Once you set it in the App is stays in that setting until you change it. The next time I start my truck it just powers up in it's last setting. If I ever want to turn it off I just hit that power button on the main screen in the App and I am back to factory throttle response.

Font Technology Circle Logo Screenshot

This drop down menu kind of explains the settings.

Text Font Design Graphic design Circle

That’s my F150 I installed my first one on in the background...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Corvette stingray

I'll post an update when finished!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Interesting concept. Have you used the Vitesse throttle controller before this? Looks like it might do the same thing, except for the added adjustments, Bluetooth control, and app.

I have the Vitesse, but will be curious about your impressions of this device.

#3 ·
Well, it took all of four minutes to install it... I took it for a short drive but it’s raining here. I can certainly feel the increased throttle response but unfortunately it’s been raining here for two days so I can’t do a proper launch without the wheels constantly spinning every time I touch the accelerator*pedal.*So, my first impressions will have to wait until I get some dry weather. In the meantime I put a short video together on the on box and install.*I hope to update it with some PDR video once the weather is cooperative.*

​​​​​​​

#4 · (Edited)
I installed the Vitesse Throttle controller and it is fantastic. I knew of the Pedal Commander, but once I read about the simplistic style and operation of the Vitesse, that was my choice. It has a dial and a large digital display. The Sport mode is 0-9, and with the push of the dial it switches to Eco from 0-7, I believe. I say simplistic because, I wouldn’t need nor would I use all those incremental positional adjustments offered with the Pedal Commander. With Vitesse, it’s pretty much set it and forget. I did put it in Eco mode once, and it was ridiculously silly that I would ever use it on any regular basis, and that wasn’t the purpose of me getting a throttle controller, but it’s there. I have it neatly installed in the center console and easy to access, spin the knob to your preference and you’re done, no clicking through buttons, or getting the phone out to use an app. Also, it was less than $200, well worth the money, and it does exactly what I expected and wanted.
Vehicle Car Personal luxury car
Vehicle Car Trunk Automotive exterior Auto part

#6 ·
I installed the Vitesse Throttle controller and it is fantastic. I knew of the Pedal Commander, but once I read about the simplistic style and operation of the Vitesse, that was my choice. It has a dial and a large digital display. The Sport mode is 0-9, and with the push of the dial it switches to Eco from 0-7, I believe. I say simplistic because, I wouldn’t need nor would I use all those incremental positional adjustments offered with the Pedal Commander. With Vitesse, it’s pretty much set it and forget. I did put it in Eco mode once, and it was ridiculously silly that I would ever use it on any regular basis, and that wasn’t the purpose of me getting a throttle controller, but it’s there. I have it neatly installed in the center console and easy to access, spin the knob to your preference and you’re done, no clicking through buttons, or getting the phone out to use an app. Also, it was less than $200, well worth the money, and it does exactly what I expected and wanted.
View attachment 268368 View attachment 268370
Yep, that's nice as well. I have had the pedal commander in my F150 for a year now and once I found the right setting I have never gon to the app to change it so having the control on the app is no big deal. I also like the idea of being able to tuck the control unit away so there's not cable to route and the car retains the current appearance. I'm sure they both probably accomplish the same thing though. Yours looks like a clean install.

#5 ·
itsmermf, did you install it on a C7?

#8 · (Edited)
Ok, finally a dry day and a chance to drive my C7 with the Pedal Commander I installed 2 days ago.

First Impression: Holy Crap!

Before I left for work today, I set it the Pedal Commander to "Sport" (not Sport+, just Sport) and I put my car in sport mode. I went to pull away from a stop sign with a normal and reasonable pedal force (not flooring it) to about 1/3 pedal and there was an immediate response... tires squealed and car started to fishtail. No doubt about it same if not better resoponse than I got with my F150 5.0 Liter. I had a 35 mile ride to work and played with it. Response at 70+ MPH in taffic, passing, etc. was fantastic. I touch that pedal and the response is immediate.

So, while I still want to find a safe stretch of road to try the 0-60 comparison with it on and with it off and capture on the PDR, regardless of that outcome, I am happy with it. Worth every penny and still the most bang for the buck on any mod to date.

#14 ·
Let's please keep our posting rules in mind, especially: 3. Personal attacks on others (flaming, name calling, shaming, etc.) will not be tolerated. We take politeness very seriously. You are welcome to challenge another's points of view/opinions, but you shall do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Thank you.

#16 ·
The way it was explained to me is that it is a resequencing of the inputs to the ECU to expedite the butterfly valve response and it had something to do with a frequency adjustment. The original email I received said,"Standard settings for drive-by-wire systems tend to result in throttle response time that’s actually slower than old-school cable setups. But what is throttle responsiveness? More specifically, it’s a measure of how fast an internal combustion engine can raise its power output from a low RPM to a higher, more powerful RPM in response to a driver's input on the gas pedal. While quicker response is often associated with higher power; true “throttle response” is merely a measurement of the time required for a change in power output.

On modern vehicles that are under competitive pressure to yield high fuel economy ratings, throttle responsiveness is deliberately programmed to be more gradual (“sluggish”) in order to save us from ourselves. Truth be told, this trick does help mileage – but it also creates throttle response that feels as if Novocain has been injected into the entire system.

On modern vehicles with drive-by-wire setups, the cable is replaced by an electronically controlled system using advanced electromechanical actuators, sensors chips and highly accurate potentiometers. So there’s no cable attached to the accelerator pedal any more, just an electronic sensor that determines how far down the pedal is being pressed.

The throttle (gas pedal) position sensor relays this information to the vehicle’s main computer, the electronic control unit (ECU). The ECU takes that information and commands a small electric motor to open or close the throttle plate. At the same time, the ECU increases injector pulse width to boost fuel flow accordingly.

Slower throttle response only serves to increase the time it takes to reach your vehicle's maximum power level. To address this issue, various throttle controllers that bypass and override the factory electronic throttle control settings and eliminate noticeable time delays.

Throttle controllers take information directly from the accelerator pedal position sensor, “advance” the numbers in a high-speed controller circuit, then send the new-and-improved signal to your vehicle’s ECU – bypassing checks that may cause confusion or errors when a final signal is sent to open the throttle plate. But since throttle controllers are linked in to your vehicle’s ECU, they can also take the opportunity to make useful revisions to air/fuel mixture and ignition timing and increase the overall responsiveness."

I didn't design it, I just use it.

#25 · (Edited)
Throttle controllers take information directly from the accelerator pedal position sensor, “advance” the numbers in a high-speed controller circuit, then send the new-and-improved signal to your vehicle’s ECU – bypassing checks that may cause confusion or errors when a final signal is sent to open the throttle plate. But since throttle controllers are linked in to your vehicle’s ECU, they can also take the opportunity to make useful revisions to air/fuel mixture and ignition timing and increase the overall responsiveness."
What is the source of this info? I always thought of them as just manipulating the voltage output of the accelerator pedal position sensors to trick the ECM into interpreting a higher pedal travel than actually requested. The stuff about bypassing checks and changing calibration sounds more like tuning, somehow overwriting the ECM algorithm. That is some serious stuff. Are you sure? Just trying to make sense of it.

#17 · (Edited)
All I know is that they work wonderfully. My Vitesse makes it much more fun to drive the car. I have it set on the most sensitive level (9), but wouldn’t mind it being more responsive.

I’m tempted to try the Commander though, as it has many more options to find that perfect setting. The money back guarantee makes it even more tempting.

#22 ·
Hey Dan Argento, I am running a PC on my '19 GS M7 and it's awesome. Again, as previously described, it virtually eliminates (and that is based upon your preference / setting) the "sluggish" lag in throttle response.

I have been using the Pedal Commanders for a few years now. Previously ran a Vitesse on my C6 Grand Sport, and it was a manual as well. Most recently used a PC on my '16 Stingray A8 and '18 Challenger T/A 392. Worked as advertised!

For normal driving I have mine set to Sport +2.

#23 ·
I never got the feel for the Vitese controller in my last C7. Tried it several times and just didn't like it. Seems it made it too jerky with the A8. Folks may think it makes it more like a cable throttle, although driving cable linkage cars for years then trying to controller certainly wasn't the same. Haven't installed it in my M7 yet, its just sitting in a drawer.

#24 ·
Exactly, this is why;

Throttle controllers change pedal mapping, not the actual throttle response. In other words, it sweeps the OEM curve (green) at a higher rate (faster) but not any smoother. Whichever problems you had at part throttle will remain. Throttle controllers can't escape the throttle body geometry.

If you look at the knee (bend) on the OEM curve you'll see the driver only has 8 degrees of blade travel to go from part throttle (gentle slope) to power throttle (steep slope), traversing that range faster will make the transition more abrupt yet, and less predictable. It works almost like a switch that goes from little response to too much response.

On the other hand, the red TB design/curve not only increases the slope (response) at part throttle, but also makes the knee much wider (17 deg), and accelerating the car is more of a continuum in which you can gradually control speed w/o the switch-like action. That makes actual response not only faster but accurate and predictable.

Text White Green Line Slope

#26 ·
I ordered the Pedal Commander on Friday, and expect it to arrive tomorrow. I plan to take out my Vitesse, and try the PC for a while. They have a 60 day return policy, so no real risk. I like the Vitesse, but the number of additional setting options on the PC has me intrigued.

#28 ·
The Pedal Commander arrived in the mail today, and I hooked it up after work. Took a minute to get it paired with my phone, but once I did it worked flawlessly. I used the Velcro tape and have it attached to the console carpet just above my right thigh.

I played around with just the City and Sport modes tonight. In the City mode, I prefer levels 3 and 4. I also prefer Sport 3 and 4, when out on the highway. I only experimented for about an hour, but so far I’m very happy. The car is more fun to drive with it, and I’m looking forward to trying additional settings to find the one(s) I want to use most often.

I definitely like it more than the Vitesse, because of the larger number of setting options and for the mobile app. The Vitesse is not bad, but the PC is just better for me.

#29 ·
Now plan on running the BBORR next year with it!

#32 ·
I've had mine installed for over two years on my C7 GS. Fantastic improvement. Once in a blue moon I would start it up and there was no throttle response at all, only an idle. I would just restart it and good as new. That was till today restarted is several times ended up removing the unit so I get to work.

#35 ·
Sorry to hear that, Superman. I hope they make it right for you.

I've had mine on for over a year now, and still love It. I have it set on Sport Plus, -2. Paired with a ported throttle body, it makes the car even more fun to drive.

#33 ·
#34 ·
Welcome to our forum Superman. Sorry to read about your issue with the Pedal Commander.

#36 ·
After reading through this thread, I have a pretty good grasp of these mods now which I wasn't too familiar with, knowing what I've digested, I think I would be ascairt to install one now, the temptation for some hotdogging would be a liability to me. What I have now is already way too much power than I need.
I guess my age is showing. 😁

#37 ·
After reading through this thread, I have a pretty good grasp of these mods now which I wasn't too familiar with, knowing what I've digested, I think I would be ascairt to install one now, the temptation for some hotdogging would be a liability to me. What I have now is already way too much power than I need.
I guess my age is showing. 😁
Norm - one of the best benefits of a throttle controller (and ported throttle body) is the elimination of the initial throttle lag. It is irritating on the Stingray, but I hear it’s worse on the Z06. It won’t make your car faster, just more responsive in the beginning stages of takeoff. Give one a try that has a generous return policy. I bet you’ll end up keeping it. 😜

Reactions: Norm
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.