Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that I'm still a working stiff who has to get into an office on a daily basis through bumper-to-bumper traffic in all sorts of weather, I'm thinking daily use of my pending Z is probably not the best option.

Heck, just yesterday I was "bumped" from behind by a woman in a brand new Escalade. I looked back and she was pointing to the light that had just turned green. The car in front of me hadn't moved yet! Talk about impatient. But, that's what you get driving in heavy traffic. I got her tag# and pulled over to confirm no damage to my bumper. She took off to whatever emergency she was headed to; likely late for a hair appointment or to pick up her kid from daycare. Had she bumped my Z, I'd have been really upset.

I don't do used, so I'm thinking about a cheap lease vehicle for commuting purposes. What do all you pending Z owners plan to drive when use of the Z is not the best option?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'll continue to drive my Tacoma truck as my dd to and from work, but I will slide into my Z06 at every other opportunity. I never saw myself as a truck person, but now after owning one, I couldn't live without it. I make sales calls to people's homes, and I just don't think I'd be received the same way if I roll up in a car like the Z06. I also wouldn't want my dream car to suffer from mundane slogs through bumper to bumper traffic where the mind-numb jockey hastily to get home in time for their favorite television show. A good commuter car is a good idea!

·
Registered
817 Posts
4WD 3/4 ton Suburban. Hauls groceries just fine! Not great fuel mileage however. :(

We also have a 1999 Taurus beater, but it is becoming more of a maintenance hassle that it is worth. The road salt used in the winter just destroys cars.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll continue to drive my Tacoma truck as my dd to and from work, but I will slide into my Z06 at every other opportunity. I never saw myself as a truck person, but now after owning one, I couldn't live without it. I make sales calls to people's homes, and I just don't think I'd be received the same way if I roll up in a car like the Z06. I also wouldn't want my dream car to suffer from mundane slogs through bumper to bumper traffic where the mind-numb jockey hastily to get home in time for their favorite television show. A good commuter car is a good idea!
I LOVED my '98 Tacoma 4 cylinder 4x4 regular cab 5 speed stick with auto-locking hubs. Harder I drove it, the better it seemed to like it.

My brother-in-law got one in '05, at my recommendation. Paid $10.5K. Had it for 3-4 years until Toyota asked to buy it from him. Some sort of issue with rusting frames. They paid him $13K!

Would like to try that new Colorado diesel, but they are not out yet & probably won't lease well.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes! The new Colorado looks sweet. I could see getting into one of those if my Taco ever dies. It has been the most trouble free vehicle that I've ever owned. It has 86000 miles and only needed tires and brakes. It's a 2006 and it still looks like new, although I just got a recall letter that the leaf springs need to be changed because they can rust and fail. I live in Az and you have to try hard to get a car to rust here.

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Being that I'm still a working stiff who has to get into an office on a daily basis through bumper-to-bumper traffic in all sorts of weather, I'm thinking daily use of my pending Z is probably not the best option.

Heck, just yesterday I was "bumped" from behind by a woman in a brand new Escalade. I looked back and she was pointing to the light that had just turned green. The car in front of me hadn't moved yet! Talk about impatient. But, that's what you get driving in heavy traffic. I got her tag# and pulled over to confirm no damage to my bumper. She took off to whatever emergency she was headed to; likely late for a hair appointment or to pick up her kid from daycare. Had she bumped my Z, I'd have been really upset.

I don't do used, so I'm thinking about a cheap lease vehicle for commuting purposes. What do all you pending Z owners plan to drive when use of the Z is not the best option?
That is a hit and run. I would have reported her.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had only a minor scuff that will polish out, thankfully. She would have likely denied involvement. It would have just ended up being an unpleasant situation, so best to drop it.

Had it been a harder hit, I would have stopped in the road and not allowed her past me.

I'm sure that in her mind, it was just a "nudge".

·
Registered
122 Posts
A nudge.....all I can say is you're a better man than me.
As far as the other car, since my 427 Vert is not a good choice when the Z06 is not, I'm driving my F150 4x4 Crew Cab to work.

·
18,670 Posts
2012 Chevy Cruze ECO manual, averaging 42.6 MPH for its great 31,500 miles (though live in the countryside where getting good MPG is easier than most places).

·
Registered
116 Posts
2010 Bimmer 750li, very comfortable ride, 17.9mpg average so far. just bought 6 years, 40,000mile extended warranty for $3500 on it last Friday...

·
Registered
149 Posts
07 Chevy Kodiak 4500 Monroe Pickup conversion. I use it for my business and as a DD just because of the cool factor. As long as I keep my foot out of it ,it will get 15 MPG. Not bad for a truck weighing 11,600

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
07 Chevy Kodiak 4500 Monroe Pickup conversion. I use it for my business and as a DD just because of the cool factor. As long as I keep my foot out of it ,it will get 15 MPG. Not bad for a truck weighing 11,600
Those are nuts! 15 mpg...Duramax?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have a ten year old 350Z with 40K miles which is still fun to drive. For around Key West, where I live and where parking is limited I use a Kia Soul. For long trips to the mainland 125 miles away, I use my Lexus LS460L. A very nice comfortable ride.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You cant beat the lease deals on 2014 Cruzes! Fantastic daily drivers and fantastic fuel economy.
Competitive with Toyota & Nissan's top deals?

A few years back, I got a Nissan pickup for under $100/mo with only $800 up front. Got 2 of them!

Cruze sounds good for commuting, if the price is right.

·
Registered
118 Posts
2011 Jeep Wrangler. I'm in Northern Ontario, so I need to have something that can handle the snow in the winter.

Reactions: Z06 Owned

·
Registered
127 Posts

Very valid points which is one reason I don't drive my sports cars to work or during normal business hours. In Dallas we are fighting the increase of population and road construction.

My daily driver is 2014 XLINE BMW X1

1 - 20 of 31 Posts