Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
Thanks for posting Andrew. Interesting and nice avoidance of the flying tire chunks! Do you leave your PDR on continuously all the time?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice video. Kind of scary. I have a fear that this might happen and I have nowhere to go, but so far haven't had to deal with the event.

Out of curiosity, and on a tangent, is this "normal" in the good sense or is it "normal" in the sense that semi drivers don't take care of their trailer tires and don't bother inspecting them regularly for serious wear?

Reactions: ABrimberry

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting Andrew. Interesting and nice avoidance of the flying tire chunks! Do you leave your PDR on continuously all the time?
Thank you. I start it before each drive. It won't record automatically unless the car is in Valet Mode.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Nice driving!

Reactions: ABrimberry

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Nice video. Kind of scary. I have a fear that this might happen and I have nowhere to go, but so far haven't had to deal with the event.

Out of curiosity, and on a tangent, is this "normal" in the good sense or is it "normal" in the sense that semi drivers don't take care of their trailer tires and don't bother inspecting them regularly for serious wear?
You can't blame the truck driver for the tire blowing. We are suppose to look at the tires everyday as part of our pre-trip inspection. But there is no way of knowing what is going on inside the tire. He could have also just got something stuck in the wheel.
It really cheeses me off when people look at professional truck drivers as if they are idiots. They drive on average 600 miles a day in traffic that most 4 wheelers have a hard time negotiating. They are subject to random drug and alcohol testing. What's the idiot in the car beside you been smoking today? When was the last time the 4 wheeler looked at the status of his vehicle? I'd fallow a truck driver far more then someone in a 4 wheeler. Yes, sometimes it looked like the truck is doing something erratic. More often then not be is trying to avoid something that the drivers around him haven't and will not see.

Sorry just had to rant.

Reactions: TexDan and STUNG

·
Registered
185 Posts
Whoa buddy my question wasn't really meant to be a leading one. Maybe that's how a semi truck tire is supposed to end its life.

You can't blame the truck driver for the tire blowing. We are suppose to look at the tires everyday as part of our pre-trip inspection. But there is no way of knowing what is going on inside the tire. He could have also just got something stuck in the wheel.
Well... do tires exhibit visual cues that signal they'll be destroyed if run much longer? Our normal ("4 wheeler") tires indicate if the tread is too worn.

The rest was non-sequitur so whatevs.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
There used to be a Congressman, Mendel Rivers, who chaired the Armed Services Committee, I believe. Well, way back when, he was on hand for the first delivery of a Lockheed C-5 aircraft, the biggest airplane in the military. The C5 had about 28 tires and wheels on the landing gear.

Well, as it landed and went past the reviewing stand, the C-5 blew a tire, and one more completely came off and went bouncing down the runway at landing speed. It looked pretty embarrassing. Rivers quipped something like....."That's why it has so many wheels....so if a few fail, there are others there to carry the load".

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Whoa buddy my question wasn't really meant to be a leading one. Maybe that's how a semi truck tire is supposed to end its life.

Well... do tires exhibit visual cues that signal they'll be destroyed if run much longer? Our normal ("4 wheeler") tires indicate if the tread is too worn.

The rest was non-sequitur so whatevs.
Sorry, my rant was't aimed at you.
Truck tires don't blow because of tread wear. They don't get down that far usually. It could be from a bad retread, puncture, under or over inflated, or most likely a scuff on the sidewall. You might rub against something today and the tire could blow months down the road.

Reactions: Sciros

·
Registered
391 Posts
I was A tractor trailer driver.I never drive next to one.I either go and pass him,staying ahead of him or stay behind him.
It's easy to run over an object and get A slow leak.Then the tire rolling along at 70 mph develops heat.Next thing the tire falls apart.
Pieces go everywhere.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I was watching a blister develop on a trailer tire on a trailer in front of me a few weeks ago. (My truck is governed to 65 so I couldn't pass him). I was telling my wife who drives with me that is going to blow. Not more then five minutes later, it let go. The (alligator) came flying through the air. I had given him lots of room so I didn't have to take any drastic maneuvers. The driver just kept right on going, the carcass flinging shards of tire everywhere. Not sure how he didn't hear it blow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts