Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gonna do it - dang good thing I looked into it. The Royal Purple Syncromax is NOT for hydraulic clutch systems! Sent the company a note and here's their reply:

"Thank you for contacting us. For the 7-speed manual transmission on a 2014 Chevrolet Corvette we recommend the Royal Purple Synchromax (part #01512, quart bottle) once OEM warranty compliance is no longer a serious concern. If OEM warranty compliance is still a serious concern we recommend using the OEM GM P/N 88861800 transmission fluid. Factory capacity of this transmission is listed at 3.7 quarts with RPO Code MEP, or 4.25 quarts with RPO Codes MEP with KNP, MEL, or MEK.

Do not use Synchromax use in the hydraulic clutch system. According to our technical references the OEM recommendation for the hydraulic clutch system is DOT 4 Hydraulic Brake Fluid P/N 19299570 or equivalent. We do not offer any brake fluid products, or any products we recommend for use in this hydraulic clutch system.

Thank you for inquiring about Royal Purple, and have a great day!"

That could have turned out really bad.....

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,555 Posts
Good catch. My stance on all lubes, liquids, fuel is whatever the Owner's Manual recommends, can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good catch. My stance on all lubes, liquids, fuel is whatever the Owner's Manual recommends, can't go wrong.
Mine as well Norm, usually.... My M7 is slightly "notchy" from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd until things warm up and I'd read that the Royal Purple would/could help with that..... which is why I was pondering it....

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,555 Posts
When I take the Z out on cold days, I sit until temp reaches 100° before I pull out, of course the A8 is not all that temperamental........😁

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, the car doesn't care... I do.... lol and living in SW Florida the ambient temps are 70's-80's "cold" - warm up is QUICK. I'm just anal sometimes. lol - may go back and persue a mgw short throw shifter.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Really? Somebody thought that the clutch hydraulics could use some ATF? Lol

Look, there is nothing magical about the 7 speed manual. Any quality ATF or manual trans lube, (MTL) will work just fine.. I’m a fan of Red Line fluids, but Mobil 1 works too, (or anything else)..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Really? Somebody thought that the clutch hydraulics could use some ATF? Lol

Look, there is nothing magical about the 7 speed manual. Any quality ATF or manual trans lube, (MTL) will work just fine.. I’m a fan of Red Line fluids, but Mobil 1 works too, (or anything else)..
One thing that you said got my attention... the "or" in ATF OR MTL. The two are very different, and a transmission usually takes one or the other, not either. In the "old days" all the 4 speeds used gear oil (the thick dark stuff)... In the fairly recent past, manual transmissions started requiring the use of ATF (not sure if there's a more correct designation... if it's used in a manual trans, is it still automatic trans fluid?). My 1993 Camaro was the first one, for me, that used ATF (the thin red colored stuff) so it really surprised me, at the time. My understanding was this is because the manual transmissions started using adhesives for some internal friction surfaces (which weren't compatible with the old gear oils).
Someone correct me if I have fallen behind the latest technology...
The other thing (from previous posts) is maybe some are confusing transmission lubricant with clutch hydraulic fluid?... which are separate systems that require different fluids (just to clarify). Which is probably why Red Line would say "YIKES" don't use our ATF in the hydraulic clutch.
Getting too wordy once again... sorry. I like to talk🙂

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
404 Posts
Oh, the car doesn't care... I do.... lol and living in SW Florida the ambient temps are 70's-80's "cold" - warm up is QUICK. I'm just anal sometimes. lol - may go back and persue a mgw short throw shifter.
I do have the MGW shifter... it does provide a much more "connected" feel... it removes all the soft isolation between the shift knob and the shaft back to the transmission. There is much good discussion here about installation and function of this shifter.
BTW... I am also in Florida (central)... in our winter home in The Villages (where our '14 C7 will live now).

·
Registered
697 Posts
One thing that you said got my attention... the "or" in ATF OR MTL. The two are very different, and a transmission usually takes one or the other, not either. In the "old days" all the 4 speeds used gear oil (the thick dark stuff)... In the fairly recent past, manual transmissions started requiring the use of ATF (not sure if there's a more correct designation... if it's used in a manual trans, is it still automatic trans fluid?). My 1993 Camaro was the first one, for me, that used ATF (the thin red colored stuff) so it really surprised me, at the time. My understanding was this is because the manual transmissions started using adhesives for some internal friction surfaces (which weren't compatible with the old gear oils).
Someone correct me if I have fallen behind the latest technology...
The other thing (from previous posts) is maybe some are confusing transmission lubricant with clutch hydraulic fluid?... which are separate systems that require different fluids (just to clarify). Which is probably why Red Line would say "YIKES" don't use our ATF in the hydraulic clutch.
Getting too wordy once again... sorry. I like to talk🙂
I was specifically referring to Red Line's MTL along with their D4 ATF, not some random 80 wt gear lube.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I was specifically referring to Red Line's MTL along with their D4 ATF, not some random 80 wt gear lube.
No offense intended... just pointing out that no matter how good the MTL is, it should not be used in a C7 Corvette manual transmission.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts