Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my stock wheels pin striped with a thin red stripe to match the calipers.
I thought about the Wheel Bands, but the color will fade over time.
Really like these and the price was right .... $100.00 and he did them by hand. Truly an artist.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
Like it- looks vaguely familiar ;) Here is RedHot's

Pin stripe.jpg

Pin stripe & Brembo.jpg

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
this is the kind of mod that is so small but looks so classy, no one but a vette enthusiast will notice, certainly could be an OEM addition........Kudos for getting a pro to do it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Only question I have is since I assumed this is not clear coated afterwards wouldn't washing and using wheel cleaners cause this paint to fade or even start to wear off?
I realize that adding pin stripes to the car body do last a long time but wheels tend to be exposed to harsher conditions so just wondering.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
baby shampoo and a soft brush is all that's needed to clean up the wheels. I don't let them get very dirty in the first place.
After the wheels are clean, I spray them with a quick detailer and wipe them down. Brake dust stays away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could you pm me his info. Thinking about doing the same. They look great. Thanks

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Those of you that have had this done. A question: What sort of wheel prep. was done before the pin stripe was painted on your wheels?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
CruznCorvette you need to rotate your center caps so they are the same orientation as the word corvette on your rims. Make the tire package look better, IMO.

·
18,670 Posts
CruznCorvette you need to rotate your center caps so they are the same orientation as the word corvette on your rims. Make the tire package look better, IMO.
Interestingly, the National Corvette Museum's "Museum Delivery" program started the center cap orientation toward the valve stem cap about ten years ago, and lots of folks have since copied that look.

Regarding the pin stripes on the wheels that several have, I love that look! GM has taken note of pin stripped wheels and for 2015, some of their wheels will come with an optional red stripe option or a yellow stripe option.

·
Registered
755 Posts
They were made visible a couple of months back when they showed the Atlantic and Pacific editions of the 2015 Stingrays. I was mad at the time as they had stolen my idea. haha!! I'm planning light grey paint on black rims with my CGM. TPW 5/26.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those of you that have had this done. A question: What sort of wheel prep. was done before the pin stripe was painted on your wheels?
He used some type of solution to cut the clear coat so the paint would adhere. I was back in my office when he was doing it, he was done in about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I doubt he "cut the clear coat", that would be disastrous..any painter I know will "clean" the surface with a solvent like Carpro eraser, alcohol or even acetone....or Prepsol....nothing difficult has to be done...

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
CarpetRepairman: welcome to our forum! Your first post is on a thread dedicated to pin stripes on wheels. If your wheels have pin stripes I can't see them in your picture. Perhaps a closeup would help.:cool:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm looking at RIM RINGZ for my soon to be built LRG C7
This is in tribute to my 1969 Firebird 400 that came with the factory Uniroyal Red Line Tires.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
You are right on Glen, that is what my gentleman did with RedHot's wheels prior to adding the stripe.:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts