Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced pinging noises? I'm hearing obvious pinging (pre-det) in 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th \when accelerating fairly hard from around from around 2,500 RPMs.

I always use 91 octane (highest in CA) / top tier gas.

Completely stock, except for an Airraid filter. Could the extra airflow be messing up the A/F ratio?

Also I had major oil in the airbox recently due to the dealer over filling the oil (Z51 dry sump).

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe the mass airflow sensor is covered in oil? Did this begin to occur only after the oil was found in the air box?
yes, as far as I know...but I dont do much highway driving or have a need for 6th - last weekend I did a long highway trip and used 6th to save some gas...hit the gas and heard the pinging. Never heard that with my LS3 so was curious if it was just lugging or maybe a larger issue. I'll check the mass.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Has anyone experienced pinging noises? I'm hearing obvious pinging (pre-det) in 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th \when accelerating fairly hard from around from around 2,500 RPMs.

I always use 91 octane (highest in CA) / top tier gas.

Completely stock, except for an Airraid filter. Could the extra airflow be messing up the A/F ratio?

Also I had major oil in the airbox recently due to the dealer over filling the oil (Z51 dry sump).

Thanks for any ideas.
You didn't let those idiots at MOUNTAIN VIEW CHEVROLET IN UPLAND CA work on it did you? Who was the dealer so I can avoid that one too.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
You didn't let those idiots at MOUNTAIN VIEW CHEVROLET IN UPLAND CA work on it did you? Who was the dealer so I can avoid that one too.
I laugh out loud every time I read your statements with the "i" word followed by the all caps on the name of the dealership and their location.

You love those people, and they are at the top of your Christmas card list. I just know it. :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Buy some MAF cleaner at auto parts store
It is designed when sprayed on to clean and not leave any film
If MAF is dirty it can fool the PCM as to the true airmass and cause PCM to assume there is less mass and hence command less fuel injected causing engine to run leaner and induce more engine ping while pulling timing

Also caution since the feds approved Ethanol increase from 10 to 15% some gas stations could be using it and E15 will cause even a leaner AFR

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put the stock air filter back in and it seems like problem solved. Difference was immediate. Sending the Airraid back. Should have realized the vette engineers knew what they were doing. More air is clearly not better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts