Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
I’ve been lurking around the site for over a year and currently deployed in Kabul, Afghanistan. I’m not a newbie to Corvette, I’ve actively owned one or two since 1989, but have learned an immense amount of knowledge regarding the C7 from this site. My expertise is really in the C3; however, last night I put down the cash and my dealer placed my order for my 2015.

Z51 Coupe
2LT PKG
Exterior: Shark Gray
Interior: Kalahari, Perforated Napa leather seating surfaces

M5U – NEW 8 SPEED AUTO WITH PADDLESHIFT $1,725
106 – NAVIGATION – INCLS NEW UQT PDR FRONT CAMERA $1,795
DTW – HOOD STINGER – CARBON FLASH $500
Q7T – BLACK PAINTED RIMS $495
TTV – CARBON FLASH MIRRORS & SPOILER $100

Received military pricing! I shopped the great deal and was amazed how many dealers would still not budge off MSRP.

I’ll be installing a four post lift so if anyone has one or would like to share any lessons learned on their purchase / install please let me know.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have been considering a 4-post also.

Get a certified lift. Many Titan lifts were being used for installs at Carlisle. (I suspect they were provided by the same source.) Backyard Buddy had a display unit and it looked very nice. Bendpack is a very well known company with about every version of a lift known to mankind. I am seriously considering their HD-9 or HD-9 XW.

Make sure you buy a lift wide enough to clear the wheels of a Corvette, especially if a Z will ever be put on the lift. Both of the Bendpacks I mentioned are plenty wide. You MIGHT need longer ramps to reduce the approach angle, especially if you have splitter on a car. Aluminum ramps are nice if you plan to take them on and off often. Rolling jacks are an expensive luxury that would make lifting the wheels off the runways easy and safe. About $1000 each. A pair of rolling jacks would be the ultimate. The alternative is a jacking tray and some form of a low profile jack and jack stands. Much less costly approach. Drip trays are nice if you plan to park under a car raised on the lift. Caster kits make moving the lift a snap, but be leery of claims the lift can be moved with a car on it...many casters are not THAT good. Bendpack needs compressed air, or an accessory air reservoir to disengage the safety locks to lower the lift.

The lift manufacturers seem to use a lot of fear, uncertainty, and doubt about lifts from competitors failing and dropping a car. It has happened. Sticking with a certified lift, correctly installed, understanding how the safety locks work, and that a lift's rating is reduced with shorter wheelbase vehicles is very important.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
Congratulations reefdiver on your 2015 Stingray and thank you for your service! :cool:

Reactions: reefdiver

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I suggest starting here: Automotive Lift Institute: Auto Lift, Vehicle and Garage Car Lifts

BendPac and Rotary are the top two but be warned, not all of their lifts are certified. The certification is a voluntary program and isn't a government or mandatory item to sell a lift in the US. It does, however, give you a place to start.

Reactions: LT1xL82 and CHeckk6

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I bought a 4-post lift 15 years ago (damn, it's been that long!). It gets used roughly every other month for vehicle maintenance (oil changes, etc), and I also use it for stacked parking. I bought the roller kit with mine, so I can roll it around to different spots in the garage (and no, you can't roll it with a vehicle on it!). Mine has a 7,000 lb capacity, and is plenty wide enough for the Vettes (although wider lifts are obviously better suited for our wide Corvettes).

So, higher load capacity should be interpreted as "higher safety" IMHO (even if you don't need it), and you'll want to go for a wider lift as it makes parking under or on the lift easier (so that the mirror proximity to the posts doesn't cause anxiety when parking).

All the lift specs are at home... and can dig them up tonight if needed.

north-garage.jpg

Reactions: CHeckk6

·
Registered
817 Posts
Another large internet dealer is ASE Deals. Note that BendPak (correct spelling) prices do not vary much from dealer to dealer. Free shipping is the norm.

Many threads about lifts at The Garage Journal

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rack 1.jpg Rack 2.jpg Rack 3.jpg

Thanks for all the help! This is how it turned out.

Reactions: Norm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very nice! What model did you go with? I will be in the market very soon. This thread is a great resource.

Thank you for your service.

Joe

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the HD which is wider then the base lift. Gives you almost a foot more between the post.

Reactions: Z06 Owned

·
Registered
186 Posts
How tall is your ceiling?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have had an Eagle lift for 15 years. No issues to date. I have the extra long, extra capacity model that is able to lift a Suburban to almost 7'

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Very nice! What model did you go with? I will be in the market very soon. This thread is a great resource.

Thank you for your service. Joe
Hi Joe--I bought a Direct Lift 8S in 2012 and it has worked well. Under $3,000 delivered and installed professionally. My research indicated it provide the greatest width between the posts yet had the least overall width to provide room for the wife's car. I have a 10' ceiling which gives me just enough room for a 5' tall car (BMW 5 series) and a 4' tall car (95 ZR-1 or eventually a C7). My garage is 21' x 21' and has an 18' wide door which not every one has (big help getting the wife enough room). Had to raise the garage door tracks and I also switched to a Liftmaster 3800 jackshaft opener to get rid of the opener in the middle of the ceiling. Also set it near the door so I have room in the front for tools, refrigerator, etc., but as a result I have to put the ramps out side with the door open to get a car off. If you click on my avatar or just go to my profile, I have one album that has quite a few pictures of the lift and how I did it. If you have any questions, please let me know here or via PM. Glad to help if I can.--Bob

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just installed a BendPak HD-9xw in my garage 2weeks ago. The wife and I did it. My problem is the same as the previous persons, it hits my garage door tracks so I will have to get my door changed over to a high lift with jack shaft opener. I ordered the shorter lift but the company mistakenly sent me the taller lift which is now causing me an extra headache.

My wife and I put it together with an engine hoist, saw horse, trailer jack stand and about 10 hours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts