Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha All,

Doing a little route planning for my future pick up/drive from New Hampshire...

It's been years since living in the heartland, making cross country treks from coast-to-coast. The one thing that really stands out in my memory of such journeys, bugs, lot's of bugs, especially during the summer months. So, has anyone made a recent long drive? How did your Stingray do, did you make the trip with some Xpel protection or a bra (so 1980's :rolleyes: )? How are the interstates these days, well maintained, any to avoid?

I was planning on I90, 70, then 15 into LA but may go further north to avoid the bad weather that's currently hitting the Midwest. Pretty sure I'll be driving day, VFR only... Trying to keep the AW C7 from becoming a night time bug magnet ;)

TIA & Mahalo,

Boomah

·
18,670 Posts
What an exciting trip that will be! Many folks on the forum have done cross country (or almost cross the entire country drives). Here's one thread:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-owners-logbook/1639-road-trip-home-3-000-miles.html

We take our C6 Z06 cross country without a second thought! And am sure the C7 will make even a better cross country tripper.

Here's a web site to help evaluate current interstate road conditions.

Interstate Road Conditions | Road Closures | Weather Delays

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
There are quite a lot of great threads about museum deliveries and their drives after. Everyone names them differently, so you'll have to poke around to find them. The owners of the threads might give you a few quick links to older ones too. Lots of great trips to be had!

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
18,670 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I drove 500 miles yesterday from eastern PA to Detroit area of Michigan. Yes I have bugs on the front of the car. No Xpel or any other protection, had a great drive.

My thing is yep I got a few bugs, will get a few more on the way home I will just wash them off.

Everyone's different I have just decided not to worry about it have fun.

BTW what a great car and a whole bunch of fun!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
At least get some good sealant before you start off, what's local is "nu finish" at grocery or auto parts store, it's Rejex re packaged...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks, appreciate the suggestions & point outs! Tracwrap sounds like a good option, perfect for what I have planned. I'm really looking forward to the drive but do worry about "bug juice" etching the paint to some degree, especially on a white car.

And yes VFR only, hopefully no IFR ;) ... Fingers crossed I don't run into the rough WX a lot of folks have been suffering through.

Thanks again & Mahalo,

Boomah

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drove 500 miles yesterday from eastern PA to Detroit area of Michigan. Yes I have bugs on the front of the car. No Xpel or any other protection, had a great drive.

My thing is yep I got a few bugs, will get a few more on the way home I will just wash them off.

Everyone's different I have just decided not to worry about it have fun.

BTW what a great car and a whole bunch of fun!
I agree - picking mine up 6.9 n driving back to La - origin of lovebugs - going to put RejeX on it when I get home - beyond that I am not going I am not going to worry about it - driver, not garage queen...

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've used RejeX. Not super impressed, but it's ok. Feels and acts like Teflon, but not too durable.

I carry Adam's detail spray and a couple good MF towels during love bug season. Don't let those things bake onto the finish and they wipe off easily.

The bigger issue is road rash. Bra (clear or 80's) is only effective protection from sand/stone abrasions. If you find something better, let us all know!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Rejex and nu finish invented by same guy....virtually identical....now they make these two without any buffing at all, they self cure, what everyone is using in my method you see here...no more white powder to buff off, get in cracks...EZ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts