Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I recently purchase a c7 z51 and once I drove out the lot in the corvette museum. I noticed if I ever turning the steering wheel all the way to the right or left and have the car rolling about 5mph. I will hear and feel the spring was snapping a bit. At first I thought the car is brand new and the springs and shocks haven't settle yet. But every time i reverse my car out of my garage with with my steering turn all the way, i will hear the snapping. My currently have 800 miles so its still in break in period. Anyone know what is happening or should I bring it back to the dealer?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tire chatter, addressed in the owners manual. Due to the aggressive alignment set up. It's just the way it's built. Normal.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The sound stops once the tire are warmed and provide more grip. It's normal.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
99% probability this IS NOT the rear but is in fact the normal Ackerman effect. I base that on the fact it happened in the museum parking lot and a rear diff issue would have been picked up in QC.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
99% probability this IS NOT the rear but is in fact the normal Ackerman effect. I base that on the fact it happened in the museum parking lot and a rear diff issue would have been picked up in QC.
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think it would be safe to assume anything. If there is any question, get the rear checked.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not believe it is from the rear.But once the tire is warm up i do not hear that anymore.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think it would be safe to assume anything. If there is any question, get the rear checked.
I'm perfectly comfortable assuming it's the Ackerman effect as 100% of the C7's do it. The number of brand new cars with rear diff issues occurring in the museum / dealer parking lot are statistically insignificant. I like his odds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you guys are right. its because of the performance tire not warm up casing this issue. its not meant to drive in cold weather. Thank you for your reply now i can sleep better

·
Registered
810 Posts
royis, mine does the same thing when it's not even cold coming out of the garage. When I say cold, I mean ambient temp. It could be 60F and it will still do it.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
royis, mine does the same thing when it's not even cold coming out of the garage. When I say cold, I mean ambient temp. It could be 60F and it will still do it.
The normal tread temp for the tires to be considered warm would be around 100 degrees, on the track they will go well past 150. Anything under 80 degrees would be considered cold.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hi:

You will probably find it is worse on concrete surface than on ashphalt. I had this experience in my ZR1 4 yrs. ago and had the whole service bay at the dealership wondering what was going on with the turning of the car. Then GM put out the bulletin about Tire Chatter or skipping in tight turns and cool tires. Not a problem. It is what it is and my C7 does it as well. The ZR1 was worse as it had much wider tires. I find that by backing off on the amount of turn I am putting in it goes away.

STUNG:cool:

·
Registered
432 Posts
In addition, it looks like Georg Lankensperger got screwed on this. It was his invention but is known as the "Akermann". It appears as though Rudolf Akermann screwed him over on the patent application.

Damn him! :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hi davem:

Thanks for the "like" and I appreceiate the added info you put into your reply. Good info. Good homework....

STUNG:cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
The sizzling noise that I've seen people post about my car makes the same noise and I think I know what it is it's water draining out of the exhaust back on the catalytic converter is it sounds terrible but it's just normal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts