Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... so with GM KNOWING we are all anticipating the receipt of our "produced" vehicles, I've watched more videos, read more material and posts, know this vehicle now front to back as I've studied the manual, watched the "how to videos" and... "YllwStgr for HIRE"

When will they begin shipping customer vehicles?

It's funny... kept watching to receive a TPW. I never received one, only to find out my vehicle was "produced". I'm wondering if I'll get an "invoiced/bayed/shipped" message or if it will just arrive at my front door.

Any news on actual "shipping" timeframe :) ???

Vehicle produced 8/28..

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First part of June... I placed my order the day they began taking customer orders.

·
Registered
186 Posts
... so with GM KNOWING we are all anticipating the receipt of our "produced" vehicles, I've watched more videos, read more material and posts, know this vehicle now front to back as I've studied the manual, watched the "how to videos" and... "YllwStgr for HIRE"

It's funny... kept watching to receive a TPW. I never received one, only to find out my vehicle was "produced". I'm wondering if I'll get an "invoiced/bayed/shipped" message or if it will just arrive at my front door.

Vehicle produced 8/28..
How are you getting this info? I put my order # in on the chevy site and it doesnt give me any status codes. I can only get them through my dealer?

·
Registered
28 Posts

Vehicle produced 8/28..
Was informed by my dealer today his 1st two coupes were released for shipment. He was told they should arrive max 2 weeks. Three more moved to 3400.

·
18,670 Posts
Here is the my best "guesstimate" as to when C7 customer cars would start shipping: Approximately September 20th (two weeks from today). This guess is based on two non-confirmed factors, and there is a final "caveat".

Factor one: GM has announced that they will be doing the usual new model "quality hold" on the C7's. A quality hold gives GM the opportunity, that if they later find a systemic part quality problem (as happened in the quality hold for the new C6 Z06's), to not have to chase the cars all over the country, instead fixing them at the plant. A quality hold can typically last between two weeks to 30 days. Since almost every one of the 4,000 parts in the C7 is new, most believe that the Bowling Green Assembly Plant (BGAP) will employ a 30 day quality hold on the C7.

Factor two: There is limited secured, fenced space at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant (BGAP) for the quality holds. That pre-shipping space is limited to a maximum of 900 cars.

The "Caveat": Let's assume the above two factors happen to be luckily accurate. This would mean, since the recognized first day of C7 customer car assembly was August 21st, that shipping might start on September 20th. HOWEVER, the caveat is that BGAP Plant Manager Dave Tatman has stated that the Plant will not ship cars with a known problem. The exception might be for a small, small issue that could be addressed simply and easily by dealer's when they are doing their required PDI process (such as a replacement of the left rear fender reflector due to a lens visual imperfection). A major delay would infuriate those who want and expect their cars really soon, but GM knows that the world will be microscopically examining the new C7 for any delivery flaws. Hence Dave Tatman would keep the cars at the plant IF a major quality issue were found during the extended quality hold. For those who might consequently go ballistic, those folks should ask themselves, "how much faith do I have in my local dealer's service department (which has not even seen a C7), to fix a significant problem." Again, all this is conjecture, as NO KNOWN QUALITY PROBLEMS EXISTS AT THIS TIME. Hence, my guess remains that, a guess, that in two weeks the transporters will start rolling.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Elegant does it again!
Thank you for that most descriptive explanation.
We are all getting over anxious.... but it is much more important that GM takes the time to get it right. It seems that they really want to this time.
Thanks E:cool:
Mark D

Reactions: YllwStgr

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Elegant! I agree you've provided the most descriptive explanation... so very helpful to all of us who are trying to wait patiently. I believe your email will be read and appreciated by MANY! :cool:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Dave Kerbeck (A high volume Corvette dealer) said this on another forum: "I think they will release a small batch of cars to hit dealers just in time to hit the late summer/third quarter promise and then the bulk will ship on October 1st so that GM can book the sales (to dealers) in their 4th quarter numbers.
It's just speculation on my part but it makes sense on many levels since they won't have that many through the extensive QC for another week or two and then they will be ready to start rockin'!
"

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just spoke to my dealer this morning. Their first Stringray delivery is on a truck, headed in. Finally! I wish it were mine.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just spoke to my dealer this morning. Their first Stringray delivery is on a truck, headed in. Finally! I wish it were mine.
Mingo222... do you know to where? I heard there was a truck load going to a driving school, but not customers. I could be wrong... just read it on different Forum.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts