Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
photo (28).JPG

Does anyone know how to pluck these plastic chrome pieces out without damaging the grill? The grill is really soft plastic and it seems like it would dent or break easily. I kinda need them plastidipped today, and don't have the time to wait for those plastic prong things that glen has to be delivered. I tried spraying them while on the blue car and it was actually a hassle, so this time I want to pluck them out. If anyone can help, thank you.

John

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
the plastic prong things don't help....the chrome really does not come off, I think it's plastic welded on to the grill...your choices are - tape it off and spray it or use vinyl wrap...or yank the front end and take the whole grill out.....discussed many times with my experts in town, no one has a good answer....

but I can offer an easy way to tape.....get a bed sheet and tape on the whole front end.....cut a slit in it where the trim is and then tape it close around the trim strip....makes it a 10 min job to set up for spraying - do 4 coats at least 10 min apart..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome glen, thank you so much!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted to pull these off too. It is definitely clipped on somehow as I was able to partially disengage one of them but chickened out in fear of breaking something (and it was dark). Will try again this weekend. However, Glen has a point about masking and painting.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
keep the nozzle close to the trim - when you spray PD from 1-2 foot, it sets up rough matte, when spray 6-8 inches, it sets up smoother...but keep moving

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts