POLL: What Will ME’s Entry Price Be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
18,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Poll: 2020 ME’s MSRP

Lots of prior discussions/differing options on the entry level, 2020 ME’s sticker price.

If you wish to explain your choice, thanks for doing so below.

2020 ME’s MRSP Price:

1) Less than $60,000;

2) $60,000 through $64,999;

3) $65,000 through $69,999;

4) $70,000 through $74,999;

5) $75,000 through $79,999;

6) $80,000 through $89,999;

7) $90,000 through $99,999

8) $100,000+

Thank you.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
I used to say $59,xxx but that was only if the mid-engine was the only vehicle Corvette offered at that time. Since it now seems as if they will simultaneously offer both the C7 and a mid-engine Corvette, I am thinking now that the mid-engine car will be priced higher.

How much higher will they price it? Well, that depends on the volume that they plan to build and sell.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I believe "entry" will be considerably north of 100K and very few of those built. Can't imagine many buyers considering that caliber of car at those numbers who are going to skimp on options. Realistically I believe the well equipped ME will sticker around 150K . And as I have said plenty of buyers.

Currently well equipped trucks are going for North of 55K. Was checking out Jeeps yesterday again well equipped Rubicon Jeeps at 52K. And some dealers marking that up with a 5K dealer "add on" just because they think they can. Cruising the dealers lot's many more cars although usually well equipped with window stickers around 75K. Can't imagine the ME in 2020 less than 100K.

JMO

·
Registered
502 Posts
IMHO....Chevy cannot afford to abandon their demographic....the highest sales volume Corvette is the 1LT Stingray, i.e. the lowest priced....safe to presume most of these buyers cannot/would not purchase a 6 figure "base" Corvette. On the manufacturing cost side, I'm hard pressed to see where the material & assembly costs need to be significantly higher than the front engined car...still a chassis, drivetrain and body panels; just different ones. The "exotics" are $250K plus cars because they are limited production, the manufacturer has to cover it's overhead across lower volume versus GM, where many costs are shared across the company, so gross profit per vehicle doesn't need to be what it is for the exotics. Plus, the exotics charge their prices partly simply because they can....

Totally believe the ME will be in the low-mid 70's for the base car.....

·
Registered
630 Posts
Can't imagine a new, hopefully very special, ME selling for less than a loaded ZRI. Just doesn't make any sense from a marketing/image perspective, assuming it's going to be something fresh and truly unique.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
One thing for sure - there are equally number of varied opinions here! Which basically means it could be anything. I wonder if keeping 2 models will help "subsidize" the price of the ME - meaning, say they keep the affordable FE design (making profit from higher sales volume), along with the potentially higher priced but limited production ME model... keeping it within reach (under 100K?). Not like the extremely limited FORD GT model. Time will tell... as John (elegant) always says...

·
Registered
522 Posts
What might the demographic be? Most of the current buyers are are +55. Are younger people going to pay a premium for a car that Chevy promotes as America's sports car? I don't believe GM will produce a limited amount vehicles in a totally revamped facility.

·
18,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why I voted for a $75,000-$79,999 ME entry price:

No matter that all of the test cars that GM sends for media testing will have top level interior offered, a disproportionate amount of initial ME buyers will have owned/still own a Porsche, a Lotus Audi R8, a Ferrari or something like that. All sports car forums will be buzzing about the ME Corvette. So expectations will be very high for the interior of the car. GM was lauded by most for the C7’s interior being a major improvement over the C6’s, and I think we will see a comparable, signficant, next step interior ME upgrade, e.g., believe there will not be a ”1 level interior” offered in the car. That change alone would bump up the entry price around $4,000.

2) The DCT will be standard. It is hard to estimate the DCT’s incremental pricing, but the best comparable is the increase of an automatic for the Corvette compared to the manual is now $1,725. (And back to the past, if a manual trans is offered in the ME, which is a very long shot, it would become the $1,725 incremental option.)

3) I also expect at least one item to be standard equipment which typically would be an option, e.g., if you will a nice surprise. Doubt it would be something as nice as the “the front axle lift system” which Porsche has as a $2,800 option (works up to 38 miles per hour), but something that gets folks to be excited about it coming with the car. [Separately, please GM offer the front axle lift system as an option. I would pay $2,995 for it in a heartbeat.]

In sort, it is not that GM can not make a ME with a below $70,000 price tag, it is that I believe they will not. I think of it this way, they will price a entry ME the initial price of the entry C7 Z06 (which if I remember correctly was around $79,000), and so I expect the ME’s price to be right around that amount.

And if I am wrong, and the ME’s entry price is $5-10K lower, wonderful!

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
I am going with number 6. Nothing more than a guess on my part. The plant has been upgraded to new technology and the ME production had to play into all of the plant upgrades.

GM is a mass production company and while our Corvette’s are on the smaller end of the scale in terms of production numbers, this will work to our benefit from a pricing standpoint.

Therefore, I think pricing will be in line with the Z06.

Just my 2 cents

·
18,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I used to say $59,xxx but that was only if the mid-engine was the only vehicle Corvette offered at that time. Since it now seems as if they will simultaneously offer both the C7 and a mid-engine Corvette, I am thinking now that the mid-engine car will be priced higher. How much higher will they price it? Well, that depends on the volume that they plan to build and sell.
Rodney has hit the nail on the head, so here is some background info that will help us understand.

As we consider the ME’s price, there is one other major factor that will impact all the 2020 Corvettes, and that is GM deliberately choose, and since openly acknowledged, that as overall sedan and sports car segments are in decline, to finally ”rightsize” the Plant for a production capacity over an entire Corvette generation.

As a result of the fall’s three month overall, gone is the Plant’s capability to produce 40,000 Corvettes a year with overtime (around 32,000 without any). The current Plant is now sized at around 24,000 unit capacity/annually without overtime, around 33,000 with maximum overtime (so Kai told us in his August 29th video that Jag posted on the forum, still available and on YouTube), i.e., that the production rate dropped from 17.2 units/hour to now 11.6, with 14.0 at maximum “firewall” (Kai’s word) capacity.

Hence for 2020, GM will produce SR’s, GS’s, Z06’s, ZR1’s and ME’s but in total can not exceed 33,000 units. GM realized that a second shift at BG, which was during the early C6 years, was a financial disaster, “will never be repeated” according to Tadge. GM additionally realized that having max overtime for the first 2 1/2 years, as was done with the C7, resulting in massive oversupply and heavily discounted C7’s, was/is not in GM’s interest.

At the very end of 2014, despite producing 40,000+ Corvettes, there were roughly 1,000 “sold, but not built” orders. All of these were prioritized and built as 2015’s, but before the first regular 2015’s. Might GM be unable to build all 2020’s sold orders, carry some over as early 2021’s? Certainly possible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe if there's a year when the C7 and the ME coexist, GM will release the most expensive version of the ME first and who knows what that price could be. At least #7 or #8. If 2019 becomes the last year of the C7, then the base ME will arrive first in 2020 priced at no higher then #3

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I agree with all of John's logic in post #9, plus one other thing: They're going to continue building the C7. To sell enough C7s to justify it's continuing production, it's going to have to be significantly cheaper than the C8/ME/Zora whatever they call it. Yes, there are those who will prefer the FE car because (1) Corvettes are supposed be front-engined, or (2) I need to carry two golf bags, or (3) I want to be able to pack enough stuff to take the wife and two dogs and a 150 quart Coleman cooler cross country.

But let's face it, most Corvette owners really don't use their Corvettes for daily driving or long trips. They're weekend toys. So the typical Corvette buyer, who has disposable income and is buying a 3rd or 4th car for fun, is not going to look at a C7 if a C8 is only $10K or so more expensive. That's why I voted for $80 to $85K.

On the flip side, i suppose they could drop the price of the C7 by $10K, since much of the tooling has been amortized by now. But that would really tick off folks who bought 2018 and 2019 C7s and see the resale value drop overnight.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I would personally be fine with the flagship model Corvette that has the best technology, advanced materials etc. costing around 100k as a base with a full up hp model being 150k to 175k. Kind of getting the "consumer model" C7 and the professional model" C8. Sales in the tank now for the C7 doubt it will hang on for much longer when the new ME hits the road. Here at my Dealer they still have 34 2017 models and they are highly discounted.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The 2017's at my Dealer are Highly discounted they have 34 left. The new ME is going to be the flagship model -- tooling cost being amortized as posted above is not a valid reason cost (old wives tale actually) wise to keep throwing money at an old design that is going to have DMS problems on everything electrical in the car. It is just the way the industry is materials and most importantly the supply chain is not going to be able to keep making these old parts indefinitely. Each run will cost more and more due to DMS and decreasing quantities.

In another words the C7 will die a slow and painful death if allowed to go on as is--increasing production cost and diminishing demand is a killer... Automotive or Aerospace---the same.....

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Sorry. I'm not going to argue with you, but amortization of costs is a very real factor in pricing. Not an old wives tale.

·
Registered
308 Posts
But let's face it, most Corvette owners really don't use their Corvettes for daily driving or long trips. They're weekend toys.
I must be the exception here. Taking my C7 on long trips is loads of fun. Also, the C7 has way more luggage room than my C3, so even the wife is happy.

Sorry if I got off subject. I hope the C8 is under $100k.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I must be the exception here. Taking my C7 on long trips is loads of fun. Also, the C7 has way more luggage room than my C3, so even the wife is happy.

Sorry if I got off subject. I hope the C8 is under $100k.
My C7 is my daily driver, and has been used for lots of trips. But I don't think we're the typical Corvette owners. I've met many who only take their cars out on warm, sunny weekends when there's no threat of rain, pollen, etc.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My C7 is my daily driver, and has been used for lots of trips. But I don't think we're the typical Corvette owners. I've met many who only take their cars out on warm, sunny weekends when there's no threat of rain, pollen, etc.
I'm sure you're right. But to quote our famous leader: "Sad". All those folks are doing is keeping their car pristine in order to benefit the next purchaser. I think we both feel the C7 should be enjoyed as often as possible. But, to each his own.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Sorry. I'm not going to argue with you, but amortization of costs is a very real factor in pricing. Not an old wives tale.
I can understand why you do not want to discuss in detail. My point was that your statement was an invalid generalization of subject matter that you are only vaguely familiar with or you would not have stated what you did. :) It is what I do and have done for 33 years in one of the most complex industries that exists Military Aerospace.

We should just leave it at this trust me....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
29 Participants
Vigilance247
Stingray Corvette Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to the 7th Gen Corvette Stingray. Come join the discussion on performance modifications, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing