Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shes been in the shop almost 30 consecutive days, and all for an airbox replacement due to finding alot of oil under my car. The dealer still cant tell me when theyll receive the part, and chevrolet customer service kept me on hold over 30 min to which i gave up and hung up the phone. What do you guys think is the best way to handle this? I know due to california law i can return the car without questions once she passes the 30 day mark, but then i lose out on an amazing car. anyone have any tips?

·
Administrator
16,313 Posts
Sorry to read that torchred. Please provide some additional facts on your car- Z51 or base, auto or manual, current mileage, etc. Why would they keep it in the shop to replace the airbox when it could have been cleaned, air filter replaced, correct oil level assured, etc.? If you do a search you will find several of our Z51 owners have had what I think might be a similar occurrence of oil in the air box and under the car. Once corrected they were back on the road.

Reactions: tmcternan

·
Registered
98 Posts
IMHO, just because there is a Law allowing you to return the car after 30 consecutive days for a repair, doesn't mean you have to use it.

If it can be fixed and you like the car, keep it. If not, Lemon-Law.

Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to read that torchred. Please provide some additional facts on your car- Z51 or base, auto or manual, current mileage, etc. Why would they keep it in the shop to replace the airbox when it could have been cleaned, air filter replaced, correct oil level assured, etc.?
shes a 2lt Z51, mileage is at 2400 and i have no idea as to why they need to replace the box. The service manager is telling me he has no idea what this part is, but apparently there is a bulletin going to all the dealerships to replace this airbox on next service... and they told me the part would be fedex'ed overnight to them last week, to which i still havent heard anything

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just because there is a Law allowing you to return the car after 30 consecutive days for a repair, doesn't mean you have to use it.

If it can be fixed and you like the car, keep it. If not, Lemon-Law.

Mike
well the point is i have no idea how much longer im going to have to wait, and chevy is doing nothing to make up for keeping my car for a month. I mean i the least they couldve done was fedex'ed the part when they said they would.

·
Registered
98 Posts
^^^^
I'd get in contact with Chevrolet Customer Assistance and explain what is happening with the Dealer. I bet they'll get you answers and perhaps, even forgive any car-payments while your car has been in Service. At least, that's what I'd do...if I like the car.

Mike

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
shes a 2lt Z51, mileage is at 2400 and i have no idea as to why they need to replace the box. The service manager is telling me he has no idea what this part is, but apparently there is a bulletin going to all the dealerships to replace this airbox on next service... and they told me the part would be fedex'ed overnight to them last week, to which i still havent heard anything
tr; Please see if you can you find out more about the bulletin, get the TSB / PIP number and post it here. Your issue is has been discussed in this thread:
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-problems-issues/3777-there-oil-around-your-air-filter.html
As far as I have heard the fix is to clean / degrease the airbox and replace the filter. Some dealers will change the oil and make sure that the sump tank is not over serviced. If this is no longer the recommended "fix" we need to know about it. Thanks, I know you must be very ill at ease with this whole ordeal.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Why would they have to replace the air box? couldn't they just clean out the airbox and reinstall it? or is it leaky or something?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what ive been told its a new assembly theyre putting in. Now im not sure if the dealer is making things up, but i was told that its a new air box which prevents the oil from being hiccuped into the airbox. ill see if i can get the TSB / PIP number and post it

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
tr; See if they will let you have a copy of it or grab a cell phone picture of it and send it to me, or post it here. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Shes been in the shop almost 30 consecutive days, and all for an airbox replacement due to finding alot of oil under my car. The dealer still cant tell me when theyll receive the part, and chevrolet customer service kept me on hold over 30 min to which i gave up and hung up the phone. What do you guys think is the best way to handle this? I know due to california law i can return the car without questions once she passes the 30 day mark, but then i lose out on an amazing car. anyone have any tips?
Well, it depends on what you want to do. If you want a buy-back because you feel mistreated in some way or do not like the resolution, talk to Ret9850 (http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-problems-issues/4291-woke-up-oil-leak.html) who was in a similar situation down in SoCal and got a 100% buy-back. On the other hand, if Chevy and their franchised dealership get their act together and treat you right (as others outlined above), and you love the car and don't want to have to wait a long time to get another one, then tell them to get on the ball, pay you for your lost month, and get it back and start enjoying life again.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'd still get them to just clean it and get you back on the road. They can replace the old part once they have the new one.

Reactions: Ragtop

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
From what ive been told its a new assembly theyre putting in. Now im not sure if the dealer is making things up, but i was told that its a new air box which prevents the oil from being hiccuped into the airbox. ill see if i can get the TSB / PIP number and post it
If it is a redesigned airbox, then it is worth waiting for and having, now that you have already waited a month.

Reactions: torchred

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Hum... Wouldn't it make more sense to be a redesigned oil reservoir? Although that would be a much better solution, maybe that is too expensive to swap out on an already-built car.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hum... Wouldn't it make more sense to be a redesigned oil reservoir? Although that would be a much better solution, maybe that is too expensive to swap out on an already-built car.
Yup, the air box is too far away to stop the burping of oil.

·
Registered
699 Posts
this will be interesting to see the fix. I've been using a clean side separator to eliminate the problem. It's worked well keeping the air box clean, but I would like to get back to a more stock set up.

·
Registered
C8 Ceramic Matrix Gray Metallic Z51 Magnetic Ride Control
91 Posts
I did it with a 08 C6, was in the shop over 30 days . It was easy to do, the BBB I think took care of me with GM. I got a 09 Z51 but had to pay for miles and extra options. I did not have to pay any sales tax or license or fees. I think if your less then one year you don't get hit for miles. They may let you order a car. Go for it and get a 15 the way you want it, worked for me.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Technically, if they want to play hardball, you do have to pay for some depreciation.

I can see this issue from both sides. On one hand, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the car but what it should be easy to fix. Why lemon law what can rather easily be made a perfectly good car? On the other hand, laws are laws, and the dealership and/or regional GM rep. or whoever is involved should be slapped, and slapped hard, for messing around with this for 30 days. That reeks of not taking a customer's concerns seriously. A lot of people have posted here in the past that they wish certain dealerships would treat customers' concerns with more professionalism; would such an easily-preventable case cause Chevy to drill that dealership (and/or rep.) if they cost Chevy a lemon law buy-back for no good reason?

·
Registered
896 Posts
For me a registered letter to the appropriate customers Dpt, explaining the facts and your willing to go for the lemon law option, would save the situation very quickly.
The first rule in this sort of situation is, after a reasonable delay, to be constantly on the back of the dealer and of the brand's customers Dpt...You haven't paid peanuts for this car and for that you would, at least, to be respected for that...it's the minimum, not ?

Reactions: Bucket List
1 - 20 of 34 Posts