Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want black wheels on my C7. I don't mind the $495 but I might mind having to get the "package" in order to do so.
Has anyone had their brand-spanking-new wheels powder-coated? C7 or other?
I am considering doing just that and would like to know how it went. The best quote I got was $80 - $85 per wheel plus $20 each to remove the tires.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
That is a nice example Glen, and they don't have to worry about brake dust :cool:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
That is a nice example Glen, and they don't have to worry about brake dust :cool:
this is exactly why I have been droning on and on for months about machined face wheels, they hide the dust and always look clean...had them on my last 3 cars and will have nothing else...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I powder coated mine week one, and am happy I did. I went matt blk, just because I like that look, I also thought about the machined face, wish I saw this pic in nov, but I love it. ...oh ya you can plasti dip its simple and cheap but can come off after a wash, "ask me how I know" LOL

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you're going to have your rims powdercoated black, will the the base painted wheel do the job? Or is it necessary to get the machine faced rims?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
If you're going to have your rims powdercoated black, will the the base painted wheel do the job? Or is it necessary to get the machine faced rims?

Thanks in advance.
the base wheel will work.....the machined wheel is ridiculously over priced...

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I thought I would bring this thread back to life to see any other examples of powder coated wheels that our members may have installed since this thread was started. If you have had your wheels powder coated, give us an idea of the procedure you used and the time involved. Also for extra credit how much did the whole process cost you? Please include all of your expenses. How long did the entire process take?

·
Registered
160 Posts
While waiting for my 2015 Coupe to arrive I checked with my local Powder coating shop and he quoted me $500 per wheel. Thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
While waiting for my 2015 Coupe to arrive I checked with my local Powder coating shop and he quoted me $500 per wheel. Thanks but no thanks.
NorCal or SoCal?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
That is totally out of line. It is more like under $100 a wheel if you bring in the wheels with the tires already dismounted. I have a local guy with a small shop, he quoted me $600 for four z51 wheels, and he said that price reflected the fact that, because the wheels would probably not fit in his stripping tank, he would strip the original paint off by hand. I am going to get another quote, but I saw this fellow's work, and it is quite good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My tires just hit the ground tonight after two weeks on blocks. $500 for blasting and gloss black powder coat. $30 to dismount and $94 to remount and rebalance at Discount Tire. Wheels look new again and hope they last longer than the factory paint job. Miles will tell!

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Post some pictures please.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Are there different compositions in the make up of dry ingredients that make up the powder in powder coating? Say for instance, for different applications, or is it all the same?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts