Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe that the upcoming Z06 will have the following differences from the 2014 Z-51. Forecast based on pictures, articles, and predictions/ideas heard from many others.

Z07 DIFFERENCES:

MAJOR:
575 HP, 550 TQ, naturally aspirated motor (still 6.2L);
$95K base; $120K with all options.

EXTERIOR:
Wider tires (265/315’s);
20 spoke, twin ‘Y’, lightweight wheels;
Wider/flared fenders, including CF fronts;
More aggressive front fascia with larger intake grill;
Larger, hood “air exhaust vent”;
Front splitter;
Side rocker extensions;
Rear-fender brake intake ducts (like C6 Z’s);
Top-rear-fender intake scoops*;
Twin trapezoidal exhaust tips*;
‘Race car’ rear diffuser*;
Larger rear deck spoiler;
Different badging.

INTERIOR:
Different interior “coloring,” e.g. two-color seats;
“D” shaped steering wheel*.

Z07 ADDITIONAL OPTIONS:
Exposed CF “halo bar” (to match removable roof);
CF "shifter surround plate";
Carbon-ceramic brakes;
CF drive shaft;
Titanium exhaust;
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires.

* Similar or identical to SEMA Grand Turismo car (as per following link)

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...umormill/1483-foreshadowing-2015-z06-7-a.html

Your different ideas?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well, I guess my response is "wow!".

Whether it/they is/are called a Z06/Z07/ZR1 or Z-whatever we should see something official in January. There will be many disappointed folks if not.

I think 575 HP from a 6,2 litter naturally aspirated motor is going to be a stretch. A 650 HP forced induction, likely a supercharger, is a real possibility. Carbon fiber driveshaft, titanium exhaust, and carbon ceramic brakes are seriously pricey items. I'd say CCB's are the most likely of the three. Maybe even a given. Removable roof seems like a good possibility since it appears the existing chassis may be able to handle it. Carbon fiber seems to be the "new billet", so even if there is no useful purpose, I'm sure we'll see ,ore of it in the car. Maybe carbon fiber cup holders? Or a fully functional carbon fiber directional signal lever?

I also see/hope that there will be an automated transmission of some type. A torque convertor automatic would not shock me. These things need not be our father's slush boxes...some are highly capable transmissions. A dual clutch unit is not out of the question. And I'd be surprised if the foot pedal manual disappeared.

Your price estimates sound very plausible.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's anyone's guess however I disagree on the price. I got my C7 Z51 3LT completely loaded for MSRP, a nick under $80K. I can get supercharger installed for $6-10K. If you look at 2013 Z06, MSRP is around $77K. C7 base was in $50s. I think the Z06/07 base will probably be lower, right around $80-85K if history holds true, fully loaded under $100K. When ZR1 comes out, thats when we'll start seeing the $100K base price.

·
Registered
817 Posts
What is not at all clear to me is, whatever RPO designation it is given, is what car is this car is intended to replace? If the C6 z06/07? Then $80Kish sounds about right. If it's the ZR1, than $100k plus sounds about right.

And if the car has a supercharger, does that necessarily mean it replaces the ZR1? Maybe the Z06/07 for the C7 will be forced induction? (Although some of the folks looking for a street-able track car may not be happy with such a development.)

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good questions. And, as we all know, only time will tell. GM is again promising a "short generation" C7, though we all remember that this was also promised for both the C5 and the C6. If they are correct this time, maybe there will not be two hipo versions, maybe only one for the C7, and maybe the one hipo will be a cross between a Z06 and a ZR1.

If there is only one hipo C7, it might be packed with lots of goodies, hence my thought about a $95K base price. Could be all wrong on base pricing (as well as many other predictions).

·
Registered
817 Posts
Very possible. That would explain many of the rumors swirling around. But....like you say only time will tell.

Good questions. And, as we all know, only time will tell. GM is again promising a "short generation" C7, though we all remember that this was also promised for both the C5 and the C6. If they are correct this time, maybe there will not be two hipo versions, maybe only one for the C7, and maybe the one hipo will be a cross between a Z06 and a ZR1.

If there is only one hipo C7, it might be packed with lots of goodies, hence my thought about a $95K base price. Could be all wrong on base pricing (as well as many other predictions).

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Z06 will have 6.2 L supercharged 625hp.
Supporting RedC7's post, not only do we have an additional picture of a supercharged GM V8 -- with the word CORVETTE embossed on it, but we have also learned that Tuesday of this week GM's filed for a new patent for an Integrated Intake Manifold and Compressor. Is this patent part of a breakthrough in supercharger technology and will it be part of the Z06's motor?

I do not know a tremendous amount about superchargers, other than it appears that this integrated I take and compressor might mitigate two of the negative aspects of a typical supercharger, weight and increased combustion air temperature -- the latter eventually leading to power loss under sustained high load conditions (e.g. track operation).

Here's the key abstract from GM's new patent filing.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to "NickJ" we re-remembered a picture that surfaced about a year ago, and have repeated it below in this thread too. It shows a wider rear fender, the same wheels as on GM's teaser picture, a bigger rear deck spoiler and larger lower fascia venting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts