Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Any ideas about excessive wear on the interior? Seats etc.

What I always preach: the aires seat defender, on and off in 10 secs, on amazon for 40

·
Registered
456 Posts
Always take a simple plug kit as mentioned and our small compressor. Think it's this one: Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor.

I don't do anything for exterior other than a nice fresh wax job to help with bugs and keeping it looking good.

Of course I always take a good sized tool bag too being a gear head....kind of overkill but saved my a$$ when we "lost" a rear wheel bearing hub in our '08 in the boonies at a cabin near Gatlinburg several years ago. That combined with an Autozone nearby and the tools we only lost 2 days of vacation AND a dealer didn't touch my car. : )

·
Registered
952 Posts
We go on a 4000 - 5000 mile roadtrip around the country every year. Mostly in the Southwest and midwest, just for the scenery. you can over think this. Instead of the mirror covers that will set u back $30 or so, why not use a free pair of women's nylons to stretch over the mirrors and throw them away when u r done? Carry a kinky hose and sponge to wash car and some microfiber to dry, and a California Duster to spruce up. You have GM provided road insurance if your Insurance policy does not cover a flat, but don't forget you can drive 200 miles on the runflat if you HAVE to. Save the valuable trunk/hatch space for the important stuff like COOLERS, etc..REJEX the whole car (certainly the front part) and bugs will just fall off with hosing.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,695 Posts
If you're going to visit any national parks on the way, and if you're a senior, get that senior pass from the Park Service, saved me a lot on my cross country trip last year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My C7 is just ordered....but my other car has run flats and I've started carrying what is essentially my motorcycle touring tire kit.

Some gooey felt ropes, reamer/insertion tool, and a Slime pump and good gauge. Had to use it on the 328i once and was glad I built another kit for the car.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What I always preach: the aires seat defender, on and off in 10 secs, on amazon for 40
Glen... great idea but, come on..... doesn't part of the thrill of driving in our awesome Stingrays include the feel of those leather seats wrapped around us and our butts?
Who wants the feel of some vinyl or fabric on a long road trip?

JMHO....;)

Mark D.

Reactions: Ragtop

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Glen... great idea but, come on..... doesn't part of the thrill of driving in our awesome Stingrays include the feel of those leather seats wrapped around us and our butts?
Who wants the feel of some vinyl or fabric on a long road trip?

JMHO....;)

Mark D.
LOL.....No, I could care less on a long trip about "sitting in leather".....besides they allow you to,slide in and out easily....when I get there and I'm taking passengers out, they come off and stored.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Well I think you should make it a GoPro Time Lapse Tour... :cool:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sunblock. EZ Pass. Contigo insulated travel cup. A full tank of gas, a half pack of cigarettes, and sunglasses on (for when it's dark outside).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I usually pack the Conti Comfort kit....and a set of various plug tools including a very simple Dyna-plug set-up for light punctures. Like the above description, you can use the pump with or without the sealant..

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38&category=Vehicle+Convenience+and+Safety
The idea sounded good and I went to look at the Conti Comfort Kit but the warning stopped me in my tracks, "This product cannot be used on vehicles equipped with direct tire pressure monitoring sensors in the wheels. Use of this product on these vehicles could result in damage to the sensor inside the wheel." This would seem to be a show stopper for the C7s tire pressure monitoring system.

·
18,670 Posts
How-to: Pre-Trip Car Preparation/Planning

So we are soon going on a moderate to long road trip. What things should be prepare our car for before we start out? (Please see the new companion thread of "NOT CAR Pre-Trip Planning and Preparation.")

What should be do to our car before we start out, to minimize our "trip risk?"

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you have your car serviced. Do it at least two weeks before you leave on vacation. One doesn't want to have a service miscue show up the day you have to leave.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Top off windshield washer fluid. Especially if you're driving at night. My Z06 windshield is a bug magnet!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Reactions: elegant

·
18,670 Posts
Before a lengthy trip, take our car to our GM Master Tech, and exactly as suggested above, take it the dealership about 10 days before we are ready to leave (needed parts are not always in stock), have him change the oil and filter AND do "the same exploratory check he would do if he would taking his family on a x,xxx mile trip. One hour labor (or less) so well spent! We did that this past April before we took our 2012 Cruze on a 5,250 mile trip to the BASH, and more recently on our 2015 Corvette before this latest trip. If he finds just one thing that needs "fixin" the labor will be so worth it.

Three years ago, we had him look over our 2006 Z06 and we were heading out on that month's National Corvette Caravan. He found nothing then too, but the year before, for one of Annie and my trips to a Corvette show in a summer heat wave, he found the seven year old alternator needed replacement. Better fixed at his dealership, then broken down on the side of the road when it was 104 degrees.

·
18,670 Posts
A couple more pre-trip, car-prep thoughts...

Are you tires the right PSI? I was truly laughed at when at the Black Hills Classic car show for having a hand pump and a mini-compressor. Fine. You know who needed the mini-compressor on our latest trip. Let's say your trip is going to the Arctic Circle (as we did in the middle of winter in 1996). Every morning, as we traveled north and it progressively got colder, I would check my air pressure, with most days needing to add a pound to each tire just due to the cold. Or, are you going to Death Valley, and do you car a tire pressure gauge and air down accordingly?

Tread wear: If you are down to your last/approximate 3,000 miles of tread wear remaining, even if you trip is only going to be 1,500 miles long, are you are aware that your chances of getting a flat with "little tread left" increases your chances of getting a flat by 70%?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have to agree. I took a trip to Portland recently and my Michelin A/S 3+ were down to 5/32 before I left and I bought new. The trip was about 2,700 round trip. I would have waited until they got to 4/32 if I was not taking a long trip. I never drive tires under 4/32. Stopping power is way down by that point anyway. And I'm a stickler about pressure. I check quite often when I'm driving and in the morning before I start out. Always have a portable pump with me. I have 106,900 miles on the car now and have had 5 flats. Glad to have the ZPs. I was never in a convenient place to pull over.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts