Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the years, I have learned that driving with courtesy and respect for other drivers goes a long way in protecting your vehicle from vandalism.

Think about it, when was the last time you've seen the following behaviors from other drivers and thought to yourself, "What a jerk!"?

Talking on a cell phone, texting, speeding, tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, driving like you own the road, taking up more than one parking spot, street racing, and/or ignoring those who compliment your car are NOT being courteous and respectful of other drivers.

The person that you cut off in traffic or whatever, could follow you home or write down your license plate number for future reference so when they catch your car out and unprotected, they can enact their revenge.

For any military veterans out there, you should consider getting Veteran license plates if your state issues them. A person would have to be a real Richard Cranium to vandalize a Veteran's vehicle.

These things may not stop all vandalism, but they do go a long way in reducing your chances of getting vandalized.

·
Administrator
16,307 Posts
Good suggestions Z51Stingray. :cool:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I go one step further and have no stickers at all. Regardless of what you think of your organization or the bumper sticker that represents it, somebody out there disagrees. In fact, it is likely that someone out there, based purely upon your sticker, hates your guts and is more than willing to take it out on your helpless car.

Cowards and vandals share the same DNA. If you are the type of person a coward is afraid to confront, they may take it out on your car. Vandalization of automobiles should be met with the most brutal punishment possible. Vandalize my car and I will vandalize your family. Fair deal.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I go one step further and have no stickers at all. Regardless of what you think of your organization or the bumper sticker that represents it, somebody out there disagrees. In fact, it is likely that someone out there, based purely upon your sticker, hates your guts and is more than willing to take it out on your helpless car.

Cowards and vandals share the same DNA. If you are the type of person a coward is afraid to confront, they may take it out on your car. Vandalization of automobiles should be met with the most brutal punishment possible. Vandalize my car and I will vandalize your family. Fair deal.

A great post....go as neutral as you can, there is always somebody that does not like something, even the blue sky. I don't need any more stress in my life and don't need to prove anything to anyone on the road. So there's no cutting people off, racing at stop lights, even gunning the engine. I park normally near the end of the cars, not way out and certainly in the lines. If someone comes up to me to ask about the car, my answers are short and neutral..."yeah I like it, have not had it really past 80 or so, etc....

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Yeah, veteran license plates in Berkeley: that could be a magnet for vandalism!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Awe yes..... Good 'ole Berkeley..... Many fond memories upon returning from Vietnam in '67. Heck! San Francisco in general.... Couldn't wear your uniform anywhere back then, but they could still tell you were in the military because of our hair cut. Wonder how they're doing now? LOL

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
VERY TRUE!

Not much love for the military there or the rest of the left coast.

Not much love for the military at the University of Northern Iowa here in Cedar Falls either. This happened in 2012...

A professor refused to let two National Guardsmen make-up a test they missed because they were out-of-state doing mandatory training.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/up...cle_6a3424c4-1dd6-11e2-bd61-0019bb2963f4.html

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
How you park will also help determine how your car is treated. You become a target if: You take up two parking spots, if you are parked in a place that makes your car the center of attention in any given parking area. This also seems to be true if you park in the "lower 40" with both sides of your car exposed by open slots. Some people seem to love to park as close as they can. Seems like "they" know that really riles up a car guy. I always park where a distant remote island protects one side of my car and I try to park as close to that island as I can to give that little bit of separation protection. The sad bottom line is that no matter what you do you might get nailed by someone who takes exception to a very nice car. Convertible owners have the added fear of someone dumping something into an open car, or a knife slash to a closed car. It's a sad, sad, world to be a car guy these days! :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only sticker on my Corvette is my Endowment Member sticker from the National Rifle Association! I also hold a concealed carry permit and always have a firearm with me. I sincerely hope some vandal doesn't test my resolve to protect myself and my property. I can only think of the Corvette owner whose car was doused with acid! My God... I couldn't imagine that experience. With all the 'class envy' and 1% vs the 99% being promoted by our government every day! it isn't surprising to see these things. That's why I am always prepared, just in case. I hope none of us have this experience.

·
Registered
281 Posts
NRA Stickers encourage vehicle break-ins. Crooks are hoping to get a pistol... or more. Don't tempt them.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Guns and vandalism is stupid....way extreme and well.....stupid. I have a 38 in my nightstand, thats where it will stay. Military projectile pepper spray for the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm a 99%er and I cruise with my C7, not my firearm. Like Glen e pepper spray more sensible.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Never put on any sports decals or political decals/bumper stickers. Obama/Biden '08 were always a target (Usually on a Prius)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm just a responsible owner exercising my constitutional rights. I'm not a 'wacko' looking for trouble. Huge difference!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love my car. My car is a "thing". I can't imagine wanting to kill a person because of a thing. People fantasizing about an excuse to shoot someone is more disturbing than a vandal.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I love my car. My car is a "thing". I can't imagine wanting to kill a person because of a thing. People fantasizing about an excuse to shoot someone is more disturbing than a vandal.

Thank you.....

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I'm just a responsible owner exercising my constitutional rights. I'm not a 'wacko' looking for trouble. Huge difference!
You are absolutely right and I am a firm supported of those rights. I'm also a Certified NRA Instructor and Range Safety Officer so I'm confronted with discussions on this topic quite a lot.

Rather than going into a long discussion here, which would be inappropriate, I suggest you familiarize yourself with the self defense concepts highlighted in this article http://www.stevemunden.com/selfdefense.html and always remember, it is typically not legal, appropriate or socially acceptable to use lethal force because someone is vandalizing your property. If you do, please understand that however right you may feel, your life and your families lives will never be the same.

Please think long and hard about your decision.

At this point I fully expect this thread to be closed, sorry.

Reactions: LT1xL82

·
Registered
72 Posts
You are seriously extrapolating my comments into something not otherwise intended. Now it seems I'm the bad guy here. Suffice it to say violence is the last thing any sane person would pursue. And for anyone to infer otherwise is irresponsible and unnecessary. Also, I'm well aware of and respect the laws relating to the ownership and use of firearms. I'm NOT advocating their use in any unlawful fashion. I hope this ends this discussion once and for all. I can see it was a mistake to mention it here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is how things spiral out of control when you bring political or constitutional views into a forum dedicated to the legacy -- love or dislike -- of the Corvette especially the C7!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.