Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Z-51 with 550 miles. Today while taking a short trip I observed the middle of the Driver Temperature Control knob blank. Usually it has the temperature to which the ac/heater is set. The ac was working normally and when I adjusted the control, the temperature was shown on the infotainment screen. Everything I could check was functioning normally except for the lack of the temperature being illuminated in the middle of the knob.
I reached my destination and parked the vehicle for approximately three hours. When I returned and started the Vette, the temperature was lit and everything was functioning as it should. Drove home, approximately 60 miles, and it worked fine.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a reason for the knob being blank? I am glad it rectified itself but I am concerned it will happen again. Hoping it was just some sort of computer glitch.

Any and all thoughts will be appreciated.

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
I am not sure about this Greg, but check and see if when you have set the temp to where you want it, then put the controls to "Auto" and see if the readout disappears.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried it on auto and off of auto and both ways no numbers. I turned system off and on still nothing. Only after parked for a while did it come back. Mystery to me.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
Sounds like a visit to your dealer is in order.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had the exact same thing happen yesterday. The center of the knob turned black, with two small white dots glowing, as if a LED burned out. Everything on the AC/Heat controls work fine. Turning off the engine and restarting did not revive it. It DOES show the digital temp in the center display. Another problem for the dealer to solve.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Happened once to me as well. I did the same checks as the others did and had the same result. Parked it and the next morning it worked fine. It hasn't happened since and it's been a month or so. I suspect a software glitch but with one occurrence it's impossible to draw any conclusions as to what triggers it.

area 473

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just had the exact same thing happen yesterday. The center of the knob turned black, with two small white dots glowing, as if a LED burned out. Everything on the AC/Heat controls work fine. Turning off the engine and restarting did not revive it. It DOES show the digital temp in the center display. Another problem for the dealer to solve.
Mine did not have the dots. It was just black. Mine did come back on after being parked. If you learn any information please let us know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happened once to me as well. I did the same checks as the others did and had the same result. Parked it and the next morning it worked fine. It hasn't happened since and it's been a month or so. I suspect a software glitch but with one occurrence it's impossible to draw any conclusions as to what triggers it.

area 473
Hope mine stays on like yours. I agree with you some sort of software glitch. If it doesn't happen again I will wait till it's time for my first service to tell my dealer about it. Maybe they will have an answer by then. Thanks for your post. Don't want anyone else to have a problem but glad it's not just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
This sure sounds like an issue that a ecm re-flash would address. I just don't know for sure which one it might be. I'll keep my eyes open for a TSB that might apply.

Check in with Terrell with GM Customer Care...

"Hey C7er's,

If anyone would like me to check their VIN for any available updates, feel free to shoot us a PM with the last 8 digits. If you have any other questions or concerns, we're here to help!"

Terrell
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This sure sounds like an issue that a ecm re-flash would address. I just don't know for sure which one it might be. I'll keep my eyes open for a TSB that might apply.

Check in with Terrell with GM Customer Care...

"Hey C7er's,

If anyone would like me to check their VIN for any available updates, feel free to shoot us a PM with the last 8 digits. If you have any other questions or concerns, we're here to help!"

Terrell
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks very much Chip!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The exact thing happened today. The temp knob went black but was functional on infotainment. Shut car down for about 20 minutes and it was on. I'm not real confident Also the XM seemed to get into scan mode where it just continued to go through all the channels without holding the button. It may have nothing to due with the heater know. Last week te convertible top was displaying over heated. Try later. I drove about an hour and it's been fine. Once again I'm not very confident with things fixing themselves. Any input would be great

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me this morning. I got into the car this morning and noticed that the temp display on the driver's side was not illuminated. I tried many things to make it come back on, but to no avail. Very strange. I will go out at lunch in a few hours and see if it comes back on like some of you have said.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
These problems sound like something a dealer performed ecm re-flash might correct, however it is also possible that a system control module might require replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did anyone ever find a resolution for this issue or did the problems clear themselves up and stay cleared? The reason I ask is that my 14 Stingray did this for the first time tonight. Mine had the blacked out knob on the driver side with 2 tiny white dots showing. I parked it and thought I'd revisit tomorrow morning to see if the issue had cleared and in the mean time discovered this forum and this thread. Thanks in advance if anyone has any additional info/advice to add.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mine has gone all black twice since May. Always fine the next morning. The first time I thought "oh shi$", off to the dealer. I can live with a few random glitches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Much, Rick. That's exactly the info I was looking (and hoping) for. I can deal with a random glitch here and there as well!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been driving mine almost a year now, with about 9300 miles on the odometer. The same temp control knob went to only two white leds on the black background at around 1000 miles and did it off and on for two days. I shut it off the second day and it totally dissapeared the next morning on start up. Mine stays out of the garage... must be just a loose plug with bad connection at certain temps or humidity? Never needed to have dealer service it. Since this is happening on a few models, might just give it some time.
Same on the 7" center console monitor. One day it didn't light up, so I tried opening and closing the monitor door, and it came back on fine. Now mine is perfect, no bugs, and have had no firmware updates yet or dealer service other than oil change. Love this machine!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone else had this problem, and what was your solution? Making an appointment with my dealer, but want to try to give recommendations if needed.

My drivers side temp control knob went black (there are 2 little small dots on it, but you have to look really close, still no temperature displayed), the standard radio stations change randomly without any input, and the buttons (like recirculate, seat heaters / coolers) turn on, or off on their own when all of this is happening.

Frustrating, as this is my first GM vehicle, and it's not looking like a good start.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I had a similar problem, very intermittent but when it did occur the back light on the infotainment screen would stay on and drain the battery. The dealer replaced the body control module and did numerous software updates. Trouble free for the last 4 months.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts