Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked to start a new thread explaining how to program an SD card for your PDR. The PDR does not come with an SD card and users are struggling to get a card with a sizeable memory, as video takes up some space of course. The manual will tell you to get a Class 10 SD card which is formatted in FAT32. A lot of cards are formatted differently and they will not work in your Corvette (or they may work partially such as for example without playback). That is frustrating as you may think your $1,700 PDR system does not work right, yet it is only a problem with the card.

So here we go:
First, you obviously need to get an SD card. As the manual says, get a Class 10 as that is the highest speed. It does not matter much for the recording but lesser cards may give you trouble for playback. There is also a UHS number on the card, but that is not very important. Obviously, the bigger the memory, the more recording time. A 256MB card gives you about 5 minutes of recording, a 64GB card gives you 1540 minutes! I bought a 64GB Sandisk SD card for $53 (tax etc. included from Best Buy).

Second, the card needs to be formatted in FAT32. If it is formatted any other way, like ExFat, the card will not work and you will think something is wrong with your PDR! Just FAT will work, except for playback.

As most cards come with ExFat, how do you make it FAT32? That was my challenge and after a few hours of internet searching I found the solution. My PDR system now works like a charm! This is what you do: you have to format your card into FAT 32. Typically, when you stick your SD card in the computer, and you right click on the card, it will not let you format to FAT32 (if for example, you're on Windows 7 or 8). The problem, which a lot of websites list, is the fact that FAT32 can only record up to 4MB, but that is not true if you reformat the card.

Soooo.... stick your SD card in your computer. and then download a free program called Easeus Partition Manager (don't worry, you can take it off your computer later and it is certified by Norton anti-virus etc.). Once you get it downloaded, you open up the home page of the "Partition Manager" (there are 3 parts to this program, but you just need Partition Manager). Once you open up the home page, you will see "your computer", including the SD card. Click on the SD card (make sure you only click on the SD card and not your regular hard drive). Then click on "format partition". Make sure it says FAT32 and make sure it says that the sections are set to be 64k (not 32k). That's very important.

Then, when you want to close the program, it will tell you it is formatting the card and asks you if you want to continue. Of course you say yes. Within a few seconds, it's done! It will say that the card is FAT32. Go to your Corvette and stick the card in the glove compartment SD slot (not the one in the middle console) and start playing with it! It'll work like a charm.

64GB is a huge memory (1540 minutes), but this will work with smaller size cards as well. I will make you an offer.... if you truly cannot make this work, let me know and I'll format a card for you (which you would need to buy and send to me) and I promise that PDR will immediately spring to life!! I am not a computer guy, but I am persistent and I had to figure it out the long hard way, but I did. Good luck.

P.S. There are a lot of recommendation on the internet how to convert to FAT32, but a lot of it is complicated and baloney. This Easeus program works and is relatively simple.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Why doen't someone sell the cards formatted FAT 32. Anyone know a reason.
Microsoft limits Windows to formatting FAT32 to 32GB, no idea why since the FAT32 standard can handle up to a 8TB volume and a 4GB file size ( which may be the issue/reason) . Where as the newer exFAT will handle up to a 16,000TB file size.

To me the real question is why did GM make it so it only used FAT32, should have been very easy to have it handle both exFAT & FAT32. Would have made everyone's life a lot easier.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Havingfun, can the C7 PDR recognize and use the full capacity of a 64GB sd card? I have only tried the 32GB cards as per the owners manual.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ordered 64 gig 10 and will format per your instructions. Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a buddy that got a 256 GB card, formatted it in FAT32, and it works fine. Something like 6400 minutes of video according to the PDR.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you Havingfun, I will stock up on some larger sd cards for the long road trips this year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2015 is sitting up on my lift until Spring. I bought two Samsung 32GB EVO Ultra-fast Performance class 10 UHS-I cards from Best Buy when they were on sale for $12.95 each. They are micro SDHC cards with the SD adaptor. I plugged one into the slot in the glove compartment but never got around to testing it before the weather turned. I don't see anything on the package to indicate how they are formatted. How do I check them or should I just wait until Spring and see if it works on my PDR? Does anyone know how these are formatted from Samasung?

·
Registered
305 Posts
HELP I read the above and page 7 - 1 in the owners manual. I've been looking on line to purchase the FAT32 formatted SD card class 10. I haven't found anything that just said that. The adds say micro, and a bunch of other letters that I don't know what they are referring 2. A 32 meg would be plenty for me. I paid for the PDR so I just want to use it once to see if it works. After using it in the PDR can it be erased and used for music? Reading page 20 in the infotainment manual what is NTFS listed in the center column?

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
HELP I read the above and page 7 - 1 in the owners manual. I've been looking on line to purchase the FAT32 formatted SD card class 10. I haven't found anything that just said that. The adds say micro, and a bunch of other letters that I don't know what they are referring 2. A 32 meg would be plenty for me. I paid for the PDR so I just want to use it once to see if it works. After using it in the PDR can it be erased and used for music? Reading page 20 in the infotainment manual what is NTFS listed in the center column?
There are a number of 32GB cards you can find at places like Amazon, for example: Kingston Digital 32 GB Class 4 microSDHC Flash Card which is exactly what you are looking for. It is FAT32 formatted. And yes you can erase, over write any SD card you use to record music after using it in your PDR. The NTFS is a standard formating but it is different from FAT32.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 64mb today at best buy and had them reformat to FAT32. I now have 1520 minutes of recording time. It work great. Cost $53.00 thanks forum

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Simple. Just plug the card into your computer (or in some cases your printer).Go to my computer where you can see the card and right click on it. Then, click on "format" and it will show you how it is formatted. If it says FAT32 you're fine. If it doesn't say that, you're not fine and you'll need to reformat the card.

My 2015 is sitting up on my lift until Spring. I bought two Samsung 32GB EVO Ultra-fast Performance class 10 UHS-I cards from Best Buy when they were on sale for $12.95 each. They are micro SDHC cards with the SD adaptor. I plugged one into the slot in the glove compartment but never got around to testing it before the weather turned. I don't see anything on the package to indicate how they are formatted. How do I check them or should I just wait until Spring and see if it works on my PDR? Does anyone know how these are formatted from Samasung?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The word "micro" just means that the card itself is a lot smaller. but many of them come with a little sleeve (adapter) that you can slide the micro card into and that will make it fit the SD slot in your car. So, Micro just refers to the size of the card. When you talk about other letters, you can pretty much ignore those as long as it is a Class 10, FAT32. The other letters (UHS-, UHS 3 etc.) refer to speed as well, but that does not matter in this case. You can also ignore SDHC etc. NTFS is a different format. Yes, you can use this card again for music, pictures etc. as long as the equipment uses the format of the card. For example, an HP digital camera may not work on FAT32, but on just FAT, in which case you cannot use the card, unless you reformat it again. All that matters here is that the format of the card is compatible with the equipment in which the card is used. A Corvette PDR requires FAT32. Buy a big one, make sure it is the right format, stick it in there and never worry again. By the way, a Windows 7 or 8 computer will recognize different formats, so you can take the card out of your Stingray and play it on your computer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, that is exactly as described in my original thread. For $53 you're done and it gives you 25+ hours of recording. That also works great for the person who was talking about using it on a longer road trip. It's perfect for that purpose. And you can turn it off and on if you prefer smaller segments because you have lots of memory.
Yep. Simple. Or you can format it yourself to FAT32.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great information. I just purchased the PNY 256GB card. I actually got 2, one for music and one for the PDR. The Corvette Owners manual states that NTFS and FAT32 format will work, but they are wrong. I tried NTSF in both readers and it would not recognize the cards. I purchased Acronis Disk Director 12 to do the formatting of the large card. It works great, and super fast. I tried to get windows to do it, but it refused after working at it for 3 hrs. Both card readers in the 2015 Z06 had to have FAT32 formatting. But now I have all my music in the car, and around 6,000 minutes of video recording. I think that should be enough for now. The cards were $80 each, and the software was $50.00. Happy driving!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am glad that this information helped you. Plus, the additional information you provide here should also help some others. 6000 minute of video recording...wow!

Great information. I just purchased the PNY 256GB card. I actually got 2, one for music and one for the PDR. The Corvette Owners manual states that NTFS and FAT32 format will work, but they are wrong. I tried NTSF in both readers and it would not recognize the cards. I purchased Acronis Disk Director 12 to do the formatting of the large card. It works great, and super fast. I tried to get windows to do it, but it refused after working at it for 3 hrs. Both card readers in the 2015 Z06 had to have FAT32 formatting. But now I have all my music in the car, and around 6,000 minutes of video recording. I think that should be enough for now. The cards were $80 each, and the software was $50.00. Happy driving!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts