Stingray Corvette Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
FAT32 does not provide very efficient use of a very large storage device (SD card) because the available memory is not broken up into enough memory segments to use it efficiently on small files. But for the purposes of the data recorder, that is pretty academic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mac has a built in formatting that will allow you to easily reformat an SD Card to Fat32. Once you see the SD Card on your desktop highlight it and enter select info (command I). In the info dialogue you will see a menu item for format. Select it then enter the new name for you SD Card and select the Fat32 then execute. All done in less than 15 seconds.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Mac has a built in formatting that will allow you to easily reformat an SD Card to Fat32. Once you see the SD Card on your desktop highlight it and enter select info (command I). In the info dialogue you will see a menu item for format. Select it then enter the new name for you SD Card and select the Fat32 then execute. All done in less than 15 seconds.
I actually tried that, but for some reason it didn't give me the FAT32 option to format it to.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
If your SD CARD is bigger than 32 gig you need a 3rd party program.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting. I did a reformat on a 64 GB SD Card and it worked fine. If you insert the SD Card, highlight it, then select Command I it will bring up a dialogue box. Under the heading of General in the dialogue box, you can read the Card format and size. If it says MS-DOS Fat 32 (which is what you want) the reformat pull down menu is not there under Name & Extension. You only have the ability to name the SD Card. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Anyone having issues on playback not hearing the sound? I record just fine including overlay graphics information.....but everytime I play the video back on my Mac (not in the car) I have no sound. I have sound if I play back inside the car.

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Anyone having issues on playback not hearing the sound? I record just fine including overlay graphics information.....but everytime I play the video back on my Mac (not in the car) I have no sound. I have sound if I play back inside the car.

Thanks,
Bryan
This may sound strange, but try using iPhoto for play back.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Vigilance247 - not strange....actually a great idea but Mac has replaced iPhoto with Photos IF you do the upgrade......been a mac user for 8 years. At any rate, I did import the MP4 movie file into Photos and still no sound. Normal play back for MP4 video is the QuickTime Player. I hope some other folks can help out here......it is a FAT32 Sandisk SDHC 32 Gig card. Hmm very frustrating as we just blasted around the Texas Motor Speedway this weekend at the Lone Star Corvette Club track day and man I want to hear that rumble!!!

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Vigilance247 - not strange....actually a great idea but Mac has replaced iPhoto with Photos IF you do the upgrade......been a mac user for 8 years. At any rate, I did import the MP4 movie file into Photos and still no sound. Normal play back for MP4 video is the QuickTime Player. I hope some other folks can help out here......it is a FAT32 Sandisk SDHC 32 Gig card. Hmm very frustrating as we just blasted around the Texas Motor Speedway this weekend at the Lone Star Corvette Club track day and man I want to hear that rumble!!!

Any other ideas?
QuickTime does not convert the sound properly. I have all of the current updates and still have iPhoto listed in Applications. Secondary (right) click, other, applications, iPhoto.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I just tried VLC. The file opens much faster and works perfectly.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Vigilance247 - BINGO! VLC plays it with sound. Mucho gracias fellow Texan. At any rate, I wonder if the same issue exist in iMovie? I made a short summary of my wifes laps at TMS and of course no sound.....I will try reimporting the video from VLC and see if I get sound now. Thanks a million! :)

Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been asked to start a new thread explaining how to program an SD card for your PDR. The PDR does not come with an SD card ..... The manual will tell you to get a Class 10 SD card which is formatted in FAT32. A lot of cards are formatted differently and they will not work in your Corvette (or they may work partially such as for example without playback). That is frustrating as you may think your $1,700 PDR system does not work right, yet it is only a problem with the card.

So here we go:
First, you obviously need to get an SD card. As the manual says, get a Class 10 as that is the highest speed. It does not matter much for the recording but lesser cards may give you trouble for playback. There is also a UHS number on the card, but that is not very important. Obviously, the bigger the memory, the more recording time. A 256MB card gives you about 5 minutes of recording, a 64GB card gives you 1540 minutes! I bought a 64GB Sandisk SD card for $53 ....
P.S. There are a lot of recommendation on the internet how to convert to FAT32, but a lot of it is complicated and baloney. This Easeus program works and is relatively simple.
Great effort and write-up. I bought a Kingston SDA10/64GB SD card from Amazon @ $38.99.

I installed EaseUS using your settings and selecting 0 options. I could not find "Partition Format" anywhere.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the program. The only option I selected this time was giving them my name and email address.
Magically it worked this time. Might have been a bad first install. I labeled the card and after formatting I ran "Surface Test".
It took almost 1 hour to run, but it showed I had 0 bad sectors.

I tried it out today when my wife and I went on a short 30 mile highway trip and back varying the RPM. Now I have 250 miles on the odometer.
Stupidly I wasted 10 minutes trying to see the front vision camera on the screen. When all else fails read the C7 manual.
"Video playback is not allowed when the vehicle is in motion".

When we got home, it worked perfectly on Windows Media Player.

Thanks for the work you did on this project.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just tried VLC. The file opens much faster and works perfectly.
Strange vlc didn't play the sound on my win 8.1 laptop but win media player worked fine. I think the issue is all the extra data that is being stored in the mp4 file for the cosworth app. What I've found to work best is to "convert" the mp4 using handbrake to alternative file name but still mp4. It makes the file almost 50% smaller and then works on all players.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am running Windows 7 and downloaded the Cosworth Tool box from GM.
I also updated the toolbox to the latest version.
The following steps worked for me without any problems:

1.Run Cosworth Toolbox (GM)
2. Click on Computer "Select a file" tab
3. Select the MP4 Video on the SD Card Drive that you want to watch.
4. Click on "Re-live" to hear as well as watch your PDR video.
5. Click on the "Corners" tab.
6. You will see the PDR video with your GPS route.
7. Click on the "Video" tab to the right of the highlighted "Data" tab.
You will now see your GPS route video on the left half of your screen.
Your PDR video will be on the right half of your screen.
8. Click on the "Chart" tab if you want to see data from "Driver Input".
9. Clicking on "Forces" will now show the respective force data.
10. All data will be from "0" time of your PDR video.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
actually a great idea but Mac has replaced iPhoto with Photos IF you do the upgrade
I did the upgrade and have regretted it ever since, iPhoto was way better. The old cliché.....if it ain't broke.............

·
Registered
353 Posts
I did the upgrade and have regretted it ever since, iPhoto was way better. The old cliché.....if it ain't broke.............
I totally agree -- I hate the new interface. Anyway to go back to iPhoto?
Alan

Reactions: Ret9580

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just recorded a short drive and when I played it back in the car there was no sound. Do I need to have the radio on to hear it?
Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just recorded a short drive and when I played it back in the car there was no sound. Do I need to have the radio on to hear it?
Thanks
Alan
Yes, you need to have the radio on. In addition, turn the volume up considerably.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks ! :smile:

I pick mine up on Wednesday. My card was FAT32 but 32k.
I was able to right click it and format to 64k.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts