Stingray Corvette Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, brand new to the site, happy to be here. I got a really stupid question for my first reply lol. I bought a new 2015 Stingray, and it was supposed to have the PDR system. Here it is a year later and I'm wanting to try it but I'm starting to think I got screwed and it's not really on the car. On the home screen it is supposed to have a PDR button......mine doesn't. Do I have to put an SD card in glove box first before that PDR button on home screen appears?? Thanks

·
Administrator
16,507 Posts
Hi guys, brand new to the site, happy to be here. I got a really stupid question for my first reply lol. I bought a new 2015 Stingray, and it was supposed to have the PDR system. Here it is a year later and I'm wanting to try it but I'm starting to think I got screwed and it's not really on the car. On the home screen it is supposed to have a PDR button......mine doesn't. Do I have to put an SD card in glove box first before that PDR button on home screen appears?? Thanks
Welcome to our forum KrazyKracker76 and congrats on your C7. If you still have the window sticker, it will show whether you paid for a PDR option or not. Another way to tell is to look or take your finger and feel on the back right side of the rear view mirror housing. If you find a rectangular open hole, you don't have one. If you don't have one, you can add a dash cam, for example see http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/around-garage/16243-dashcam-shootout-2.html.

If you don't find a open rectangular hole, then you should have the PDR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys. Embarrassed to say but I know why I couldn't figure it out. I assumed the home screen with the pdr button was the screen I usually have up. I play Bluetooth music from my phone all the time, not realizing there is a home screen button. Lol, I feel stupid, but I figured it out and have been having all kinds of fun with it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Thanks guys. Embarrassed to say but I know why I couldn't figure it out. I assumed the home screen with the pdr button was the screen I usually have up. I play Bluetooth music from my phone all the time, not realizing there is a home screen button. Lol, I feel stupid, but I figured it out and have been having all kinds of fun with it.
No need to feel stupid. There is so much info even after reading the manual several times you can't take it all in. I use the time while waiting for my wife to open the different settings and try to learn something new.

I bought a 32 GB scan disc took it out of the package plugged it into the slot in the glove box and it worked from the get go.

Gus

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where is the SD slot on the PC or is an adapter needed? Couldn't find it. Also how is the card erased when full? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
100 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been asked to start a new thread explaining how to program an SD card for your PDR. The PDR does not come with an SD card and users are struggling to get a card with a sizeable memory, as video takes up some space of course. The manual will tell you to get a Class 10 SD card which is formatted in FAT32. A lot of cards are formatted differently and they will not work in your Corvette (or they may work partially such as for example without playback). That is frustrating as you may think your $1,700 PDR system does not work right, yet it is only a problem with the card.

So here we go:
First, you obviously need to get an SD card. As the manual says, get a Class 10 as that is the highest speed. It does not matter much for the recording but lesser cards may give you trouble for playback. There is also a UHS number on the card, but that is not very important. Obviously, the bigger the memory, the more recording time. A 256MB card gives you about 5 minutes of recording, a 64GB card gives you 1540 minutes! I bought a 64GB Sandisk SD card for $53 (tax etc. included from Best Buy).

Second, the card needs to be formatted in FAT32. If it is formatted any other way, like ExFat, the card will not work and you will think something is wrong with your PDR! Just FAT will work, except for playback.

As most cards come with ExFat, how do you make it FAT32? That was my challenge and after a few hours of internet searching I found the solution. My PDR system now works like a charm! This is what you do: you have to format your card into FAT 32. Typically, when you stick your SD card in the computer, and you right click on the card, it will not let you format to FAT32 (if for example, you're on Windows 7 or 8). The problem, which a lot of websites list, is the fact that FAT32 can only record up to 4MB, but that is not true if you reformat the card.

Soooo.... stick your SD card in your computer. and then download a free program called Easeus Partition Manager (don't worry, you can take it off your computer later and it is certified by Norton anti-virus etc.). Once you get it downloaded, you open up the home page of the "Partition Manager" (there are 3 parts to this program, but you just need Partition Manager). Once you open up the home page, you will see "your computer", including the SD card. Click on the SD card (make sure you only click on the SD card and not your regular hard drive). Then click on "format partition". Make sure it says FAT32 and make sure it says that the sections are set to be 64k (not 32k). That's very important.

Then, when you want to close the program, it will tell you it is formatting the card and asks you if you want to continue. Of course you say yes. Within a few seconds, it's done! It will say that the card is FAT32. Go to your Corvette and stick the card in the glove compartment SD slot (not the one in the middle console) and start playing with it! It'll work like a charm.

64GB is a huge memory (1540 minutes), but this will work with smaller size cards as well. I will make you an offer.... if you truly cannot make this work, let me know and I'll format a card for you (which you would need to buy and send to me) and I promise that PDR will immediately spring to life!! I am not a computer guy, but I am persistent and I had to figure it out the long hard way, but I did. Good luck.

P.S. There are a lot of recommendation on the internet how to convert to FAT32, but a lot of it is complicated and baloney. This Easeus program works and is relatively simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't see why not since you are re-partitioning the card anyway, but a 64GB card gives you almost 26 hours of recording. Are you sure you need 100 hours plus?
Lol no I don't think I will need that much time but I had the card here so I figured use it instead of buying a new one. I did get it to work and you are correct it gives almost 120hrs of recordingtime.
Lol thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

·
Administrator
16,507 Posts
61 - 77 of 77 Posts