Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Stingray will be here soon and I've heard how the black wheels can show lots of brake dust (it's a Z51). I'm looking for something to coat the wheels and exhaust tips to make them easier to clean.

Does anyone have experience using Opticoat 2.0 or CQuartz? Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
IMHO - I like CQ or pinnacle black label ( I think they look better)
But have no direct experience with opti

BUT opti 2.0 don't exist anymore. New replacement is optigloss. From reviews I've seen, it's meant to go in direct competition with CQUK.
Also, they only give you like a very small amount, so depending on how heavy you apply, you may not have enough for the wheels.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Do you think the 30 ml bottle of CQuartz should be enough for the wheels?
More than enuf, get the Cquartzuk, a bit more protection than std cquartz.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thanks to ronkh and glen e! I just ordered the cquartzuk and it will be on the workbench waiting for the Stingray to arrive.

David

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Great, thanks to ronkh and glen e! I just ordered the cquartzuk and it will be on the workbench waiting for the Stingray to arrive.

David
watch some of the you tube videos, cquartzUK should be followed by the spray RELOAD....after an hour...that's why they sell it as a package...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've watched a video, but it seems it would be difficult to use the block on the wheels and exhaust. Is it possible to apply the CQuartz UK with a power cone?

David

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
No, it goes on by hand....i use opti coat and it goes on with a hard circular sponge applicator find it by optimum on autogeek. Itll work with cquk.....i suggest you join the forums at autogeek and ask how to do this, it is beyond here.....

The applicator Is in my build thread somewhere...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it goes on by hand....i use opti coat and it goes on with a hard circular sponge applicator find it by optimum on autogeek. Itll work with cquk.....i suggest you join the forums at autogeek and ask how to do this, it is beyond here.....

The applicator Is in my build thread somewhere...
It came with an sponge applicator but I was hoping to use the cone like you recommend an orbiter for the paint.

David

·
Registered
286 Posts
It came with an sponge applicator but I was hoping to use the cone like you recommend an orbiter for the paint.

David
OptiCoat is not a polish - it is a coating. Put it on by hand, let it flash (i.e., turn from what looks like a thin water layer to clear), look for streaks in 1 to 2 minutes after application (these look like an oil slick), go over these streaks lightly with a microfiber towel. You are done! Let dry overnight. I found the black puck is good for flat body panels and the much more pliable sponge on bends and the only thing that works for wheels. You must detail the car first otherwise and any surface defects are going to coated over and look terrible. There are many YouTube videos showing how to do this. I removed the wheels from the car to apply the coating.

·
Registered
378 Posts
the brake dust on the black wheels suck, it literally takes about 5 blocks of city driving, and they look terrible. the opticoat pro did not help at all.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
the brake dust on the black wheels suck, it literally takes about 5 blocks of city driving, and they look terrible. the opticoat pro did not help at all.
Opti coat applied and cured right will help you clean them, nothing more. if you want to stop the dust, you need hawk pads....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
More than enuf, get the Cquartzuk, a bit more protection than std cquartz.
from googling Cquartzuk per your suggestions it is better for cold temp climates, if the OP is not in extreme cold temp state then he is wasting his money. I am an owner of a Z51 and coated my rims with cquartz but the dust still exists, You, (Glen) on the other hand have a base corvette so it works for you but the z51 is a different animal in the brake dept from the base version. I clean my wheels once a week with quick detailer spray and micro fiber rags. it is a PITA

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
As said above, all coatings do is make the brake dust easier to get off, not eliminate it in any way. cquartzuk is used in cold climates where the trash, salt, slush on paint is heavier. It has nothing to do with cold weather. but detailers hsve found it works better in hot climes too as it lays down a thicker coating of SIO2, great for destructive brake dust. . It works for z51 or base cars.it is the most potent formulation without being a detailer and getting cquartz finest.

See the discription on the autogeek site.also the detilers showcase area, most of the detail jobs are uk if the consumer version of cquartz is used, no matter what the temp is.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
from googling Cquartzuk per your suggestions it is better for cold temp climates, if the OP is not in extreme cold temp state then he is wasting his money. I am an owner of a Z51 and coated my rims with cquartz but the dust still exists, You, (Glen) on the other hand have a base corvette so it works for you but the z51 is a different animal in the brake dept from the base version. I clean my wheels once a week with quick detailer spray and micro fiber rags. it is a PITA
I know that since you saw it on the internet, it has to be true..................... BUT

UK was originally formulated to be able to be easier to apply in those climates.

In reality, it is a thicker glossier coating. So it puts more coating on, imho it also looks better.

I know I too only drive a base c7 and not a z51 like you, but I do know detailing....... I've been doing for many decades.

To put it simply so you can understand, UK DOES A GREAT JOB

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,554 Posts
Over the years I've used these various treatments, sprays, etc., to eliminate brake dust adhering to the wheel, (outer rim, barrels, calipers et al) and they may make it easier to CLEAN, that's about it, as the informed here have stated. Changed out the pads to ceramics, IMO, no difference, the dust just seems to be of a different color.

I've stopped wasting my money on those treatments, I just use a damp microfiber rag to wipe them down, they are just as easy to clean without using the treatments.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Well to each his own, coatings are different. They are hard , semi permanent and they allow the brake dust to sit on top of the coating and not embed into the wheel. I will always use a coating on any wheels that use disc brakes and emit dust.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts