Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Quality Control Period

5K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Rsmith 
#1 ·
What procedures are performed during the quality control period after the car is produced and how long does it take?

#2 ·
Based on my NCM tour: In addition to the checks that are done all along the production route, the finished Stingray is pulled into an area with bright lights to go over the entire body and check the paint as well as fit and finish. Next the car is driven over large rumble strips and driven onto a dyno. There it is hooked up and run through a number of rpm run ups, braking, etc. I think I remember several hundred electronic tests were run while on the dyno. While running the tests the car is run up to 70 mph. If any of the electronic tests don't pass the car is pulled and sent for repair. After that the car is run into a high pressure 360 degree wash to check for leaks. If all passes then it is taken out for a test track run. Cars are going for a NCM delivery are then put in a hold for 10 to 14 days. This period is to hopefully insure any issue with a part in a specific batch on that car surfaces from other tests that are run. If there is a problem it is replaced before the car is released for Museum delivery to the owner. Cars going to the dealer have a natural 'hold' as a result of the transportation to the respective dealer and again, if there is a problem, the part is replaced at the dealer or the car is not released until a replacement part arrives.

#4 ·
Do they do this to every car? I cannot imagine that because I have so many body panel issues I am noticing now?????? I just noticed my passenger door does not shut flush when closed, it is like 2 mm out as if i did not slam the door hard enough?:mad:

#3 ·
Great info "jsvette," lots of good details. That describes the typical/average quality hold that all StingRays go through really, really well!!!

There are two special quality holds that can also happen -- but only on special occasions or for randomly selected cars. First, every GM plant throughout the world, every single day, randomly selects three or more vehicles for a "customer quality audit." This involves a team of five individuals spending usually, a total 25 hours going over those cars randomly selected for that audit. It involves at least an eight mile drive to "road test" the vehicle. This audit involves two focuses. First is a generalized check list review to ensure that all plant assembly procedures work properly executed within specification; second, it is a specialized review of every problem found in previous quality control reviews that needs to be double checked. For example, if it was recently found that there's a better way of installing a specific option, then they would specifically check to make sure that that specific option on the car was installed consistent with the newly adopted procedure.

Second, with each new model, there is a special quality hold to insure that the new model was built exactly as desired, exactly per spec. For example, there was a four week quality hold on the first StingRays assembled last August/September, and there will probably be a two week quality control hold, maybe even a four week quality hold, on the new Z06's before the first ones are customer released.

#5 ·
Years ago I went on several factory tours of the York PA Harley Davidson Factory in 1984 & 1985 They introduced a new engine in 1984 and they followed a procedure very similar to what the Corvette factory is doing with the dyno and all that, but they went further and would run every 35th motorcycle produced throughout the production run on a test track out back for 25 miles then bring it in and completely disassemble and inspect it. They would look for any infant failure modes. A little overkill so it might seem, but it completely turned H-D's quality issues around at the time.

#6 ·
Steve, I was wondering about that with the problem you've had with your Vette. Did the dealer square away your situation?

SF
Rick

#11 ·
No, the dealer did not fix my panel issue after having my car for 4 days, he said there are no adjustment bolts. I am now exploring my next move?

#16 ·
Steve, sections 13.1-13.3 of your Owners Manual sets forth the progressive steps toward resolution. Sorry your local dealer was a total failure. Good luck getting your panel fixed quickly!

#13 ·
I also have body panel alignment issues. The dealer spent 8 hours on my car but were unable to get proper alignment. They said they are ordering a new rear fascia. I was surprised when I saw the alignment issue because I also took the factory tour and watched them check panel alignments with a feeler gauge.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

#17 ·
My vette only had 2 kilometres on it when I picked it up from the dealership. There is no way they ran it on a dyno.

#18 ·
It is a dyno set of rollers, that takes the car up to 80 MPH and back to zero in 30 seconds, and tests 70 different things during that short time period.

#23 ·
I have been able to look at a couple of other C7's recently and it is really disappointing how poorly my rear quarter panels / rear fascia are aligned. There is no excuse for this poor quality of workmanship on such a great car. So far the dealer seems unable to resolve this. Still waiting to see if a replacement rear end will take care of it. Hoping!!

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.