Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new and had this question. I hope someone more knowledgeable can explain the process a little better. So I have an order placed for a '15 Stingray at a local dealer. I've read some threads that describe the consensus cycle but I'm still not clear about one thing... After the order has been placed through the workbench system and an order number has been generated, does the dealer have to physically do something else during the consensus cycle for GM to pick the order up? Or once the order is in, the dealer just sits back and waits for GM to pick it up? The level or involvement on the dealer's part is not very clear to me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
When a dealer gets his allocation let's say it's for 4 cars ....let's say because the constraints he can build two of them as a base car and two of them as a Z 51. Then he has to look at the orders that he has that he's put in that are 1100 and decide which 2 base cars get assigned to customers , and which 2 Z 51 cars get assigned a customers

he makes a choice , he then puts that in the system and off you go

·
Administrator
15,230 Posts
Welcome to our forum Flea Bite. As Glen noted in response to your post, once the dealer gets an allocation it is up to them to decide which one of their pending customer orders to put through. So unless you are a long term customer of the dealer you went with, it helps to talk with the General or New Car Sales Manager there and ensure they understand your level of interest and commitment to purchase. Also doesn't hurt to keep a reasonable level of contact with your sales consultant to check on whether they have given you one of their allocations.

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Flea_Bite, I see you are in Cali. Who is your dealer? If it so happens to be the largest dealer in the state, I can tell you exactly what will happen, as I know him personally.

·
Registered
533 Posts
A good salesman and dealer will give you updates monthly at first then weekly when it goes to 3000. My car was order since feb. and my salesman called me every month till June when we sent in the order then weekly until it was built. he has been texting me almost daily ever since it was built to let me know any updates.

·
Registered
82 Posts
on a similar note, is there a way to find out how many allocations your local dealer gets, and when? like customer service or something? i don't want my dealer to know I'm asking, just want to find out. Know what i mean?

·
Administrator
15,230 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Administrator
15,230 Posts
great, my dealer's not even on the list. I'm guessing my '15 will have a slim chance of getting built??
No that is not necessary correct. Your dealer should be able to tell you how many allocations they received and Stingrays they sold in 2014 as a start. As I mentioned elsewhere, it pays to meet and have a good relationship with your dealer General or New Car Sales Manager and take the time to ensure he or she is aware of your commitment to purchase. Ask them the same allocation questions and where you fall on their 2015 customer list.

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
on a similar note, is there a way to find out how many allocations your local dealer gets, and when? like customer service or something? i don't want my dealer to know I'm asking, just want to find out. Know what i mean?
No, just ask him directly, just as jsvette recommends above. Follow Jeff's (jsvette) advice: it is absolutely the best approach!

·
Registered
170 Posts
great, my dealer's not even on the list. I'm guessing my '15 will have a slim chance of getting built??
My dealer's not on the list either, but I'm probably going to be 8-10 weeks from order to taking delivery.

Their aggressive pricing and good communication with buyers is part of their plan to get more allocation and get on the list.
One of the local dealers that is on the list is one that adds $10,000 'market value' to the price of every C7 on their lot.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
My small dealer only received four total allocations for 2014, and it only took 7 weeks from the time I ordered with him until I had the car. That said, I just happened to time it perfect, because he did not receive his first allocation for almost nine months. Had I ordered back in June of 2013 I would have had to wait 9 months before the order would have been picked up. At least for the small dealers they did not know when they would get allocations, they just knew how many they would get.

·
Registered
115 Posts
blakebird, I noticed that dealer on there also and thought to myself "wow" there really are people that will still pay way over MSRP. I read one of your other posts and think that we both must have talked to the same sales lady, as she definitely knew it was a crock. The sales manager was probably one of the most arrogant people I've ever had the pleasure of being in their presence. He tried to explain to me why the white Vert they had, would bring in any price they wanted and didn't like it when I said I'd buy hundreds or thousands a miles away before I bought anything from them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone. It makes a little more sense now in my mind how the process works. I've been exclusively in contact with the new vehicle sales manager from the start. He seems like a nice guy but I'm afraid he is not very knowledgeable. At times I'm not sure he knows what he is doing. He is also not very organized and doesn't communicate well.

The dealership is very small and they only sold a couple of '14s. He assured me that they have several allocations for '15 model year and that my order is the first one. I'm somewhat skeptical of the information he gives me at times but he agreed to sell the vehicle at supplier pricing and that is the only reason I'm hanging on. I originally had an order for a '14 that was placed in May. Had to resubmit for a '15 model year a couple weeks ago.

Thanks again for all that replied.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Thank you everyone. It makes a little more sense now in my mind how the process works. I've been exclusively in contact with the new vehicle sales manager from the start. He seems like a nice guy but I'm afraid he is not very knowledgeable. At times I'm not sure he knows what he is doing. He is also not very organized and doesn't communicate well.

The dealership is very small and they only sold a couple of '14s. He assured me that they have several allocations for '15 model year and that my order is the first one. I'm somewhat skeptical of the information he gives me at times but he agreed to sell the vehicle at supplier pricing and that is the only reason I'm hanging on. I originally had an order for a '14 that was placed in May. Had to resubmit for a '15 model year a couple weeks ago.

Thanks again for all that replied.
Given that info, you may be in for quite a wait. I'm going to be generous and assume that several might be as many as four. It may take as many as three months before the dealer gets his first consensus allocation. If you want a Z51, they are currently constrained at 55%, so probably only 2 of the 4 will allow that, and most likely, 1 of the cars will be a convertible.

Just my $0.02 worth

·
Registered
28 Posts
so a question that has prob been answered 1000's…...I finally went to 2000 today (after 5 weeks of waiting and giving up on my carbon fiber dash). I know that my TPW has not been determined but what do you think my wait time will be for delivery, considering there appears to be a back up or delay of some sort on production. any thoughts?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Call Mike Davenport from Bachman Auto.. Louisville, KY

Great Deal and they are in the top 50. Great CS and will get you your car fast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts