Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this has been asked and answered already, but here goes... In the old days when I drove manuals, we usually would start out in second gear and not first. Given the wide torque band and the skip shift feature, is this still feasible in the C7. That would get rid of the skip shift hassle and yet give enough power at lower revs. Or am I just nuts?:confused:

·
18,669 Posts
The amount of time that a C7 will force a skip shift from first to fourth is less than in previous generations. Additionally, for both the C5 and the C6, you can buy an aftermarket, skip shift module for under $20 (easy to install even if you are not a mechanic), that totally eliminates the factory skip shift protocol. Expect that module to be again aftermarket-offered and easily-installable in a C7.

I use first all the time and avoid any possible 2nd-gear-starts, clutch wear potential.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The amount of time that a C7 will force a skip shift from first to fourth is less than in previous generations. Additionally, for both the C5 and the C6, you can buy an aftermarket, skip shift module for under $20 (easy to install even if you are not a mechanic), that totally eliminates the factory skip shift protocol. Expect that module to be again aftermarket-offered and easily-installable in a C7.

I use first all the time and avoid any possible 2nd-gear-starts, clutch wear potential.
I HATE HATE HATE skip shift so I'm glad there's a way to bypass it. I don't mind skipping gears but I rather do it by my choice.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh I remember this, skip shift. I had a 2006 GTO and I think it had that feature. I think the factory had to add it to avoid a gas guzzler tax.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Anyone, please post when the first of these aftermarket modules is available. I'll be looking for one too.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I seem to recall that I read; That if you cross a certain RPM threshold the ECM will not force the tranny into the skip-shift mode.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have a 50th AE, and the few times the skip shift occurred, it didn't phase me. I know the SS eliminator is available, but I didn't care to get one. The column lock by-pass is another story- I got one of those.

Is the C7 plagued with the column lock problem?

·
18,669 Posts
Chip's correct, that when you hit 3,000 RPM, regardless of all else, you no longer have the skip-shift requirement. So if you accelerate firmly to 3,000 RPM, then you can go into any gear you choose.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Orr get auto w/ paddles !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts