Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anybody have any experience with acquiring this warranty?

For clarity, I am talking about this one. (I think the correct title is "Extended Limited Warranty". It extends the 3Y/36K bumper to bumper to 5Y/60K)

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a23798279/general-motors-warranty-optional-new-extended/

I bought my car on 3/2/19. I specifically asked the dealer about this, they said never heard of it. They tried to sell me their inhouse warranty (really an insurance policy, with so many exceptions as to be almost worthless). I persisted, they went away, and 1/2 hour came back with something they characterized as "GMPP" (which I understand is now called Ally, as they bought it from the GM bankruptcy). This was not the Chevrolet Protection Plan, which is more like the old GMPP. Interestingly, priced same as their inhouse one.

I was tired by then, just wanted out of there, and figured I could go buy it from some other dealer (like Fichner). I call the dealer I had bought my last GMPP on my 2014 Stingray from, and he told me it was a one chance, had to buy at delivery. I said not offered by the dealer, he said GM allows them to do this, i.e. not offer to a purchaser of a new vehicle.

Is that right, i.e. the dealer can refuse to offer, and the customer has no option?

I am interested if anyone has purchased, approximate cost, and can the dealer refuse to offer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased the 5 year bumper to bumper Chevrolet warranty on my 2019 Grand Sport. The dealer promoted this warranty over Ally and the GMPP. The Chevrolet 5 year warranty must be purchased when signing the purchase contract and stays with the vehicle, the others could be cashed in when the vehicle is traded. The cost was $1,700 and I had it included in the financing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I asked my dealer for this warranty by name and was refused. I called Chevrolet (what a waste of time) and they just referred me back to dealer. I think the dealer gave you good advise as to coverage, not sure about cost. The bumper to bumper is much better than ALLY or GMEPP, there are getting to be so many exclusions in the GMEPP that I question it's value.

Why is GM letting dealers treat customers like this? The dealer I bought from tries to sell his "inhouse" warranty (one of those conglomerate's) and won't offer anything else, not even GMEPP.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am trying to get a better understanding of this, so I know if I want to arbitrate my dealer over it. I understand it to be a actual extension of the factory warranty, NOT GMEPP. Right or Wrong?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased the 5 year bumper to bumper Chevrolet warranty on my 2019 Grand Sport. The dealer promoted this warranty over Ally and the GMPP. The Chevrolet 5 year warranty must be purchased when signing the purchase contract and stays with the vehicle, the others could be cashed in when the vehicle is traded. The cost was $1,700 and I had it included in the financing.
Thanks. A 2 year extension of the GM warranty has value. The GMEPP has a lot of exceptions.

·
Administrator
14,879 Posts
I am trying to get a better understanding of this, so I know if I want to arbitrate my dealer over it. I understand it to be a actual extension of the factory warranty, NOT GMEPP. Right or Wrong?
I would strongly recommend you talk with an expert for a factual answer. Call Dennis Fichtner 406-896-3082 Office Phone, our forum sponsor who deals with the extended warranty.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, after talking to Chevrolet Customer service (pretty much a waste of time, they simply referred me back to the dealer I was having trouble with) and some other folks, I did call Mr. Fichtner. It was worth my time, thank you for the suggestion JSVette. He was quite knowledgeable about both the 2 year extension and the GMEPP. After looking at the base warranty and the GMEPP, he walked me through the exclusions and gave me a very competitive price on the GMEPP. (The base warranty includes for varying times, items in the emissions warranty that are longer than 3 years that GMEPP does not cover, and things like MSRC are covered by GMEPP. (Suspect oil leaks in shocks are not, but never had that problem on a vet.)

Anyway, I bought from Mr. Fichtner.

I would suppose that GM monitors this board (as all major corporations do these days), and I would strongly recommend they change their policy of allowing the selling dealer to make the decision on whether to offer the 2 year extension of the base warranty or not. My dealer claimed to not even be aware of this, when show they press release, declined to offer it. The policy of not allowing the addition of the warranty by another dealer is very irritating to the customer. I have found other manufactures (personal experience with Mercedes and Toyota) to be much more customer oriented than GM. When you make a negative comment about a vehicle with them on the dealer survey, they (or the dealer) contact you within days to follow up to see what can be done. In this case, the dealer would not even call me back, Chevrolet customer service told me to call the dealer, and never a peep from either of them over a very nasty customer survey. Think GM is making a serious mistake by letting the dealer have this much control over customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks. A 2 year extension of the GM warranty has value. The GMEPP has a lot of exceptions.
Bought the GMEPP from Dennis and thought it was a good deal. The first time I had to use it was last week because the panel on the driver's seat that holds the seat switches broke. Was it covered? Nope. According to the SA, "plastic parts aren't covered". Out $200. Looks like a poor design to me--the clip that holds it on broke--which should be covered.--Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another possible reason to buy the 2 year extension of the factory warranty instead of GMEPP? As I read it, it is bumper to bumper and would pay for something like your broken clip unless they determined it was abuse. Mr Fitchner did indicate that the 2 year extension of factory warranty was more than a 6 year GMEPP. (Probably not prorata refundable either if, as I expect, I do not keep the car much beyond the base factory warranty.)

Still mad that can’t at least consider it if selling dealer won’t offer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
rohard
Stingray Corvette Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to the 7th Gen Corvette Stingray. Come join the discussion on performance modifications, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing