Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2014 and a question about the first oil change. My previous cars, I did not change the oil until 3000 miles. So far, I have 1200 on the new sting ray. Should I go ahead and change the oil to remove metal shavings, etc during the break in period? Or just wait till the normal 7500 mile period?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I am planning for the first oil change between 750 and 1000 miles. If you change too early, wear metals are still entering the oil and will be there in higher concentration on the second sump full of oil. Change too late, and those same wear metals are going through your engine for a longer period of time, when you would really be better off with them out of there.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Milliwatt, good way to ensure long life. Your getting that debris and filling filled oil out as soon as the rings seat. You dont want that circulating through the engine for any length of time.

Cheers!

·
Registered
310 Posts
what's break in mileage supposed to be? I heard after 500 the yellow area on the tack goes away.. .also heard 1500 miles.
I was planning on doing it at 1500...
I plan to change every 3000 with full synthetic therafter... overkill I know, but makes me feel better :)

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
Welcome to our forum snrvette and congrats on your new Stingray! You will find a full range of opinions as to when to change your oil for the first time. There is no magic number but it will depend on your driving style to some degree. Might want to target somewhere in the 2500 mile range. You may need to twist your dealers arm to do it under the warranty for free. Some will try and hold you to doing it only when the 'oil life' indicator is down around 10% while others are far more flexible. You have up to 4 free changes within the 2 years of maintenance that comes standard with your Stingray. Get to know your service manager when you are ready and if he/she doesn't want to do it except by the oil life indicator, explain your concerns.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
what's break in mileage supposed to be? I heard after 500 the yellow area on the tack goes away.. .also heard 1500 miles.
I was planning on doing it at 1500...
I plan to change every 3000 with full synthetic therafter... overkill I know, but makes me feel better :)
The 4k rpm on the tac does change over at 500 miles
P1060043.jpg P1060047.jpg

But as to the ideal mileage to change oil see my post #4 here. Also you should know that the 4k lowered red line will reappear after you pass the 500 mile mark any time you start the engine and it is cold. As the engine warms up, the tac line will similarly go back up to its normal position.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dealer said to come back at 3000, as they would like to check several things. I'm not sure I will want to wait that long.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
My dealer said to come back at 3000, as they would like to check several things. I'm not sure I will want to wait that long.
If you don't want to wait that long make good friends with your dealer's service manager and hope he/she is a Corvette person.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My local dealer said 4000 miles, so I spent the money and changed it myself at just over 500. Overkill? I don't know, but it's my $ 70,000.00 car so it's my decision. Its your car, do what makes you feel good.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My dealer told me 500k. I've got 3700k on the car now. I might get to 4000 before I change it again and put the car away for the season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts