Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about making the switch to a Z06 grill again . About 6 months ago someone here posted a detailed video on how its done but I cannot find it using the search... My question for those who may know, is the Z06 grill a matching drop in to a 2016 Z51 with all holes lining up with the stingray grill, can I use existing camera's and what extra components (screws, retainers) are required to make the switch?
Thanks for the help
joe

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
So I did the change on a 2015, without cameras. But there are some things that are the same:

The Z06 grill is a direct replacement, and everything fits and attaches the same. If you have a Z51 with brake ducts, the ducting will attach the Z06 grill. If you don't have brake ducting (base Stingray), you can chose to buy the ducting and install it, or just ignore it. The openings in the Z06 grill can be left alone, with nothing attached behind them. That's what I did, and the only way you can tell is if you get down on the ground and look directly inside them.

The camera mounting on the Z06 grill is different than on the Stingray grill, and I don't believe you can just take the cameras off your old grill and attach them to the Z06 version. You might be able to improvise something, but they're not a direct replacement. Hopefully someone who has done the swap on a 2016 or later will chime in. I suspect the wiring and connectors are identical, however, so making the cameras work shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure about the video posted here, but there are a bunch of them on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=install+z06+grill+on+stingray

The process is MUCH easier with two people ,btw.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had to buy the version of the Z06 grill with cameras when I replaced my Stingray version. The connections for the cameras are the same, so there is nothing special to do there.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you have issues getting the front facia off PM me. I have done it 3 times and took some videos with an IPad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I did the change on a 2015, without cameras. But there are some things that are the same:

The Z06 grill is a direct replacement, and everything fits and attaches the same. If you have a Z51 with brake ducts, the ducting will attach the Z06 grill. If you don't have brake ducting (base Stingray), you can chose to buy the ducting and install it, or just ignore it. The openings in the Z06 grill can be left alone, with nothing attached behind them. That's what I did, and the only way you can tell is if you get down on the ground and look directly inside them.

The camera mounting on the Z06 grill is different than on the Stingray grill, and I don't believe you can just take the cameras off your old grill and attach them to the Z06 version. You might be able to improvise something, but they're not a direct replacement. Hopefully someone who has done the swap on a 2016 or later will chime in. I suspect the wiring and connectors are identical, however, so making the cameras work shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure about the video posted here, but there are a bunch of them on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=install+z06+grill+on+stingray

The process is MUCH easier with two people ,btw.
Thanks Meyerweb. You've given me a lot of useful information. I'm still a bit confused about those camera's. One dealer said my camera's from my 2016 Z51 would fit a Z06 replacement grill and another said it won't. I wish someone with knowledge on this could tell me exactly what part #'s are required. I'd like to shop around for the parts to get the lowest price. I already have someone to do the work.
joe

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi - you can't take the cameras out of your existing Z51 grill and put it into the Z06 grill. You have to get the grill with the cameras already installed.

I would talk to some of the excellent parts vendors here like Trunkmonkey/Suburban Chevroley - they can help figure out what is the part that you need to order.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi - you can't take the cameras out of your existing Z51 grill and put it into the Z06 grill. You have to get the grill with the cameras already installed.

I would talk to some of the excellent parts vendors here like Trunkmonkey/Suburban Chevroley - they can help figure out what is the part that you need to order.
Thanks, I called them, I'm still waiting on a response... Called dealer(s), Parts rep at both dealers told me camera's with attached harness are sold separate from grill .. He's not sure camera's are interchangeable but thinks they are.... nice... Looks to me like forum vendors sell the Z06 grill with or without camera bezel but no indication that camera's are installed. I can't seem to get a definite answer..
joe

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
The cameras may be (probably are) the same, but the mountings are definitely different. Whether the Z06 grill include the mounts to put the cameras in, I don't know. I don't even know if the cameras and mounts are separable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just ordered one yesterday. According to the parts department at Mathews GM parts, this is the Z06 grill that is compatible with a 2016 Z51 3LT, (correct # coming soon) Grille Assembly. Supposedly comes with the mounts that allow you to reuse the existing cameras. Now that I'm reading some of these post, I'm keeping my fingers crossed he's right.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just ordered one yesterday. According to the parts department at Mathews GM parts, this is the Z06 grill that is compatible with a 2016 Z51 3LT, 84019864 Grille Assembly. Supposedly comes with the mounts that allow you to reuse the existing cameras. Now that I'm reading some of these post, I'm keeping my fingers crossed he's right.
I’ve wondered as much. Good luck and keep us posted, please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
660 Posts
I just received one for my non camera 2015 Z51 and got some parts to mount the cameras. Let me know if you need me to send you details and pictures.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just received one for my non camera 2015 Z51 and got some parts to mount the cameras. Let me know if you need me to send you details and pictures.
I’m not the poster but I would certainly find it useful, if you’d be so kind. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
18,663 Posts
TommyP, sorry this continues to be an inaccurate process. Maybe the vendor can give you a 10% off or similar for their lack of great service.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts